Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Ragweed forge, maybe? I have not bought from there myself, but I have friends that have. I think Mystic Caravan have some Norse stuff, but they're definitively not free of wiccan stuff... I have a Mjöllnir from there, so I know they gave me good service etc. Maybe it'd be easier if you could specify what it is you're looking for? I mean, when it comes to Norse and Celtic stuff, there's anything between brand new designs in expensive gold to carvings of runes on applewood. Each style is sold by a different type of merchant, though. -T

Ragweed has a ton of stuff. I need to fully look through that site.
and im surprised you havent mentioned http://odin.org/ really good people, and great products.

and im looking for pendants, and maybe rings. non of that expensive gold and silver stuff either. :p

and I need to get my fat fingers sized.

and..............

Holy shit, I love the sig pic, Sleipnir!
Hey, that's the same one my wife's getting me for my birthday (Whether she knows it or not >_> )
Viking Shield has some sweet stuff, I want to just buy them out altogether... Lots of shiny and sharp stuff!

oh dont be a puss!
its only a -2 to skills.

edit: oh wow, they have the Albion Mark swords, those are supposed to be badass
I wouldnt mind having a battle axe, I have a tomahawk, but its only 1d6. a battle axe is 1d8

The latter. There was a blót celebrated at around that time of year, but the idea of Ostara is not a Norse one. The wiccan community has picked up on it and celebrate it, tying the egg of Easter to the egg of The Goddess. That has spilled over into some asatru circles in North America, since many come to asatru through wicca or are Northern Tradition Wicca and as such celebrate many blóts with asatru groups. The time of year corresponds with a Norse blót, but that's about it as far as ritual is concerned. If you are curious about the "Norseness" of Ostara, try to find anything on that particular "fertility goddess" in the Eddas or any other ON work. This is where the wiccan school of thought would say Ostara was another name for Freya or some other goddess, but I'm not wiccan, and you didn't ask about wicca, so I won't put words in anyones' mouth... Incidentally, and more on topic, it is also one of those places where Scandinavian Old Tradition differs from North American Asatru, and I am Scandinavian, so whatever answer you get from me is my personal, Scandinavian opinion. You may get an entirely different one from someone that was brought up here, like Runesinger or Sleipnir. Again, there is no dogma or Asapope and there never was, so nobody can tell anyone they can't celebrate Ostara. I can attest to the historical in/accuracy of the words and names used today, though.

Edit: Oh, and the blót is called Summer Findings, and it is one of the four "stat" celebrations in the old tradition (Yule, Summer Findings, Midsummer and Winter Findings).

something im curious about... Mjöllnir that is wear as a pendent, does it refer to Thor or Odin? knowing its Thor's hammer, i always felt it was more used for Odin than Thor. when you explained Tyra that the Valknut is really linked to Odin, but that it meant a short life for you were called ealry to his hall, dying in a violent battle or something...
It would obviously be safer to wear Mj&#246;llnir than a Valknut.... but.... ><

Today, my friend was organizing a crafting session of leathery stuff, so i made myself a nice bracer for my right wrist, since i already have one for the left. I want to draw something on it maybe some runes. but im a little affraid of carving something that would take a magical sens w/o my knowledge.. so i was wondering is there a special way to write runes to avoid the unknown effects (to me) they can have? or vice versa...

Well, as far as I can tell, Mjollner was Thor's symbol. Odin is the highest and wisest of the gods, and the father to all, but at least in older times, Thor and Freyr were often the most honored, as they had the most "in common" with the regular folk. I know in most of the descriptions of hofs that I have read, the central pillar/post of the usual 3 was most often carved in the likeness of and/or dedicated to Thor, often flanked by Odin and Freyr. Even at Baldr's pyre, it is Thor who sanctifies the pyre with Mjollner. I guess you could more or less consider Thor the Aesir spokesmodel.
As for the Valknott and having Odin's favor... well, that can be a dangerous thing, for while he may grant you victory, he may also decide he wishes your presence in Valhall, and grant your opponent victory instead, to quicken the trip. ;)

As for the runes and decoration, hmm, well... I wish I had a good scanner, I have a book with a lot of really good pictures of artifacts and finds that I've not been able to find online. But, to my understanding, magical runes and symbols were generally not something that you could "accidentally" do, but had to be carved with that intent in mind in order to be effective. Of course, that's not an area where I am particularly well read, so you will probably wish to wait for someone with the knowledge of what might be considered a "Don't" in that respect.

@Tyra: I was fairly sure it wasn't Norse, but I can't claim to be as well read as some of you other folk, so I figured I'd ask. I know Grimm drew upon Bede's recording of the Anglo-Saxon festival of Eostre, which of course, seeing as I am an Anglo, tends to draw my interest, but I couldn't find much else on it. At least, nothing else that seemed to come from a historical source, and not someone trying to retrofit an idea into history.

Well, as far as I can tell, Mjollner was Thor's symbol.

Most definitely

Odin is the highest and wisest of the gods, and the father to all, but at least in older times, Thor and Freyr were often the most honored, as they had the most "in common" with the regular folk. I know in most of the descriptions of hofs that I have read, the central pillar/post of the usual 3 was most often carved in the likeness of and/or dedicated to Thor, often flanked by Odin and Freyr. Even at Baldr's pyre, it is Thor who sanctifies the pyre with Mjollner.

The temple at Uppsala had Thor in the center flanked by Odin and Freyr if I remember correctly, yes Balders pyre was sanctified by Mjollnir, it was also placed between "Freyas" knees in the myth of the winning back of Thor's hammer when he went to Thrym disguised as Freya, it was also used to sanctify the space/altar area during weddings.

I guess you could more or less consider Thor the Aesir spokesmodel.

Posterboy, with Odin being the head of the P.R. firm that represents him.

As for the Valknott and having Odin's favor... well, that can be a dangerous thing, for while he may grant you victory, he may also decide he wishes your presence in Valhall, and grant your opponent victory instead, to quicken the trip. ;)

Some here view it as a bullseye.

Posterboy, with Odin being the head of the P.R. firm that represents him.

Good call... my choice of words may not have been the most apt. It started thundering right after I made that post, and I thinking, "Well, if I get hit, that's what I get for being an irreverent bugger all the time." :)

Yeah, that was me trying to concord the description of Uppsala (which is somewhat lacking in reliability) and that of the hof of Thorolf Mostrarskegg in the Eyrbyggja Saga. Of course, variations could and did exist from one village to the next, and so much of what we have comes from a relatively small selection of areas that it's hard to say if there even is a "right answer" to half of the questions. There's the way things were done here, the way they were done there, and over there, well, we don't really know. I really must invest in a "Times Travels Face Bag", it's about the only way to be sure. :p

Good call... my choice of words may not have been the most apt. It started thundering right after I made that post, and I thinking, "Well, if I get hit, that's what I get for being an irreverent bugger all the time." :)

Yeah, that was me trying to concord the description of Uppsala (which is somewhat lacking in reliability) and that of the hof of Thorolf Mostrarskegg in the Eyrbyggja Saga. Of course, variations could and did exist from one village to the next, and so much of what we have comes from a relatively small selection of areas that it's hard to say if there even is a "right answer" to half of the questions. There's the way things were done here, the way they were done there, and over there, well, we don't really know. I really must invest in a "Times Travels Face Bag", it's about the only way to be sure. :p

Yeah, Eyrbyggja has some excellent examples, Thorolf Mosterbeard's being one of my favorite and Hrafnkel's Saga has an excellent example of a mans relationship with their deities.

Today, my friend was organizing a crafting session of leathery stuff, so i made myself a nice bracer for my right wrist, since i already have one for the left. I want to draw something on it maybe some runes. but im a little affraid of carving something that would take a magical sens w/o my knowledge.. so i was wondering is there a special way to write runes to avoid the unknown effects (to me) they can have? or vice versa...
I sense another long Tyra post coming...
This is my opinion on the matter:
Runes and symbols such as bindrunes and hammers do you no good or no harm unless you invoke them. That means that a rune is not going to do anything but sit there on your bracer until you read over it or say or do something to give it power.
Everyday items worn as a pendants, like or a locket with your loved one's picture, have power of their own in the sense that they may remind the wearer, or those that see them on the wearer, of something, such as a persons heritage or whatever. I have hammers that I wear because they remind me of who I am and where I come from, or the event I was at when I got the hammer or the person that bought it for me. Those hammers have not been read over or dedicated in any way. Wearing them can be a powerful thing in and of itself, because it can cause you to feel proud or happy or sad or angry just seing the item, the same way a scenario like a jew seing a person wearing a swasitka will invoke a strong emotion on both the wearer and the jew. I also have The Hammer, the one that Johan gave me, that has been invoked, that I never take off (unless I am having surgery). That's a different story altogether from wearing the ones that have not been invoked.

The aspect that you are thinking of, for lack of a better word, seid (since I refuse to use misspelled wicca terms like "majik" cuz I'm such a stuck up cow and all), does not come into play until an item has been read over or someone has invoked it with power, either. Seid should always be done by someone who knows what they're doing, because if you fuck up, you can really do damage (see for example Egil's saga, where a "love-spell gone wrong", causes a lady to almost die, before Egil figures out the mistake and corrects it). This is where that thing about inverting a rune comes into play. Many people think that by inverting a rune, you "invert its power" too (you meant to get health, but by inverting it, you got sick, for example).
Now, valknots and such imply that you feel close to Odin, a hammer generally means that you are either close to Thor, or that you follow the Old Tradition. If you then have such an item invoked, it can imply that you are dedicated to one god. That means that you do what he/she wills at any given point in time in return for his protection right here and now. As you said, that has certain implications for certain gods.
Runes work somewhat differently. Some runes symbolise wealth, some health, some love and some active protection, some passive protection and so on. The deal is, that by invoking them, you've requested that particular "trait" applied to the wearer. You cannot say in which way it will get to that point, though. The given example is often the one about wealth: You can become wealthy by winning the lottery, which most people think is great. You can, however, also become wealthy by your mother being brutally murdered tomorrow and you inheriting her estate. Most people would rather have their mom safe and be broke, than have the money but no mom, so that may not be such a great way to come into money. You do not get to choose which option will happen to you when you invoke that rune. So, runes can be just as fickle as Odin. I have a bindrune tattoo on my shield arm that has been invoked. I put it there knowing full well what the implications are, just as I know full well what it means to call myself an Odinswoman. I am willing to pay the price for what I have recieved. I am also old enough to have spent the time thinking on it for a long time. These are not rash decisions that I just made one day at the spur of the moment.
Some people choose to use this kind of power to do nasty things to others, which generally rebounds with just as much "bad" landing on the person that cast the spell or nidh or whatever, so again, it has implications to invoke things with power. That, in plain English, is referred to as "What goes around, comes around", and they, too, should never be made at the spur of the moment.

In short, you can choose a rune for your bracer because it reminds you of something or makes you feel something. Knock yourself right out. It will do you no good or no bad unless you invoke it with power.

Yep, I knew there was a reason I was hoping you'd hit that one. :) Thankee.
Oh, and here's an odd one. Any ideas why 'Ketill" and "-kell" were such a common name (Thorkell, Hrafnkell, Ulfkell)? I know it means kettle/cauldron, and it's usually insinuated that it either refers to the cauldrons used in bl&#243;t or to a helm. And yes, I'm just being a curious little monkey, as usual.

Wow, Tyra, that is very instructive, thank you very much. I will think again about carving runes or drawings of my own.. or both, that could be nice. I agree with you when you say that objects can "have power of their own in the sense that they may remind the wearer" of something. I refuse to wear a leather necklace from my ex boyfriend since we broke up, he refused to take it back, probably for the me reason im not wearing it anymore... Little things like this are kinda infused with an aura or something like it.
Anyway. Tyra, i always appreciate your long posts, there is so much to learn in each and to think about.