Viking mythology and all that goes with it

That's a good one... I don't find many references to meadhalls in Norse literature, but there's at least a couple in Anglo-Saxon works. But it's usually in reference to a chieftain of some sort, and is probably referring to something that's not really any different then the longhalls of the Norse. But I'm willing to bet that there was probably some establishment mainly used for drinking and socializing in any community big enough to support it.

anybody have any info on meadhalls? like how widespread they were in Europe and such?
By meadhall, you mean the hall in the longhouse, right? As some of you know, this is part of what my thesis focuses on. It centres around the sumbel itself, but since the sumbel was held in the hall and the hall was closely tied to the sumbel, during which one drank mead, I've had to delve into that topic a bit, too.
What were you wanting to know? Maybe I can answer your question? If not, I have som good papers and such - in English even :Smug: - that I can send you e-copies of or links for if need be.
I am also reasonably good at Anglo-Saxon symbel and longhalls by now, but it's not my specialty...

I took an entirely wrong meaning of it. :) I was thinking "Early Middle Age tavern", but upon further review, I can not find any reference to such a thing. Actually, it was pretty much me misinterpreting a passage from "The Ruin".
But I will take any Anglo-Saxon stuff you want to throw at me! :D

It is more of a Germanic pre-Christian thing. It has to do with cultural practise rather than geographical practise. As long as you understand that the hall is just a big-ass room within the longhouse, we're on the same page.

The most famous meadhall I guess would be Herot, the hall in Beowulf. Notably, all the political alliances in the story are forged within that hall and sealed with a drink from the mead horn. Two good books on the subject are by Michael Enright and Steven Pollington. There is a huge amount of litterature relating to Beowulf, but those two books discuss the hall and the sumbel from two different angles. Notably, Beowulf may be written and preserved in Anglo-Saxon, but it depicts events that took place in Scandinavia, some of which are actual datable events. So I guess Beowulf is some sort of weird hybrid: written by a Christian, based on Anglo-Saxon oral tradition retelling Scandinavian events from the 500's. As such, I've used it in my paper to refer to cultural practices. It is my opinion that much of what happened within the hall iteself, and certainly (for sure) the way the longhouse and hall were constructed, harks back to a time before the Germanic tribes split up. Thus, the same layout is found across the board with the longhouse, for a time period of about 5000 years. The hall stays much the same during that period of time, until conversion. That's because so much of the layout was so closely tied to the pre-Christian religion (but I know I've said that at least twice in this thread already, so I won't go into that again).
As for ON halls, there are quite a few excavated ones to read about on the net etc., but for actual litterature that contain feasts and stuff, you still have to revert back to Heimskringla. There are some good thesis papers etc available on-line about the exacvations that have been done on some of the Norse halls, such as the hall at L'anse Aux Meadows, the one at Gene, Järrestan and Stöng and so on, but books or papers that outline the sumbel itself in Norse terms, rather than Anglo-Saxon, Frankish or Langobard terms, there really isn't much to be found at all (if any), which is why I took on the subject with my own paper. I feel that you can discuss the hall until you're blue in the face, but you'll never know the full truth about the items you find, until you can establish what they were used for, how and why. That was my object.
And hey, Bates, The Ruin makes a whole lot more sense if you try to read it in the original language. It is a fascinating work of poetry, for sure, and it makes even more sense if you relate it to Beowulf and Heliand and Dream of the Rood. Then you take that, and compare those to the feast in Lokasenna and Hymskvida. Then you really start to see a pattern of how feast were held and how each guest played a part.

Trying to unravel the connections of those days is a job for a spider. It seriously hurts my brain! Been doing a bit of genea...err... however you spell it. Unfortunately, my name is really common, but I think I have the origin tracked down. That's the problem of the inherited surname... it tends to become so proliferate that it's hard to follow. Yeah, I know, unrelated stuff... being retrained at work, so my brain is a bit extra mushy right now.

Speaking of mead, I just started another batch of mead. It's made with blackberry blossom honey, and flavored with dandelion blossoms. I made some 2 years ago, but a friend of Tyra and I (Gwynna) drank the last bottle 6 months ago. She slept real well after that...

Howdy Lady Runesinger, haven't seen you around in a while. :)
Dandelion blossoms, eh? I've had greens in salad plenty of time, had never heard that the blossoms were good. What kind of flavor do they have?
I think I've finally found some to try in my area, and a local homebrew supply store that semi-specializes in mead... so the world may soon have Bates' idea of mead inflicted upon in. (If I were you, I'd wait for about the 3rd or 4th batch to taste. There are skills I have, and skills I've yet to learn, and making mead most definitely falls under the latter)

Speaking of mead, I just started another batch of mead. It's made with blackberry blossom honey, and flavored with dandelion blossoms. I made some 2 years ago, but a friend of Tyra and I (Gwynna) drank the last bottle 6 months ago. She slept real well after that...

And speaking of even more mead................

100_0359_edited.jpg

Howdy Lady Runesinger, haven't seen you around in a while. :)
Dandelion blossoms, eh? I've had greens in salad plenty of time, had never heard that the blossoms were good. What kind of flavor do they have?
I think I've finally found some to try in my area, and a local homebrew supply store that semi-specializes in mead... so the world may soon have Bates' idea of mead inflicted upon in. (If I were you, I'd wait for about the 3rd or 4th batch to taste. There are skills I have, and skills I've yet to learn, and making mead most definitely falls under the latter)

Hey Bates, I've been having some health issues, but it's cool now.

Dandelion blossom has a subtle flavor that is hard to describe, but it blends well with honey. You have to go easy on them as too much can make the mead very bitter. I found I had difficulty getting it to clear. I think it's because dandelion blossoms have a lot of pollen.

Even if your mead tastes bad after you get through with it, bottle it anyway and let it age a year. My first batch of mead tasted like absolute swill when it was finished fermenting, but I bottled it anyway. The next year it one first prize at the county fair.

Runesinger

DrinkingHorn001sm.jpg

My thirsty wolf :)
Raven and maker's mark.
I've got one of the two needed parts, anyway!
Mead making is on the To Do list... but my wife is going to kill me if I take on any more projects :p

Wow Bates!!! is that an awesome drinking horn you carved the metalic border yourself??????????:OMG:

You gotta tell me where you got the horn, and how you did it!!!!!!!!!!
because im telling you right now, i wont stop bugging you until i know, because im plainly jealous! lol

:D

It's not metallic, just a strip of leather I dyed and tooled. The horn itself is pretty easy, once you find one. I got mine from Tandy leather, with most of the really hard work done.
I can't find the directions I actually followed. http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/essay__drinkinghorn.shtml is pretty close, it's not really hard at all to do.

Also, I finally managed to located mead! Perhaps only a bottle of Chaucers, but I found out that there's a meadery in a little town north of here that is supposed to actually be pretty decent. (Pirtles, they make carbonated mead), so... yay. Testing is complete, and Bates approves. :)

Nice horns, Krigly. And I suppose if you want to holster a horn with something in it, well, that's why Johan has the big metal thing he does. Mine's only meant to be put down when empty. ;)

Yes, Knarfi, that is exactly right. My husband's mead horn holds exactly three beers. That way we can walk around the encampment for much longer before we have to go back for a refill. (at least that's his excuse - Dr Freud would have a very different one, though..)

Bates, have you ever had Masala wine? It's flavoured with "Dandy Lions". It's a good flavour for wine, anyhow, and if Runesinger is making the mead, then it'll be a good flavour for mead, too. Also, if you're buying from Tandy, some of the stores have a discount for SCA members and for small bussinesses. You can open an account under "Bates the Tinker Boy" or whatever name you dream up, and get the discount (at least that's how it works in Washington).

Erzebeth, I buy my stuff from Tandy, too. They've closed most of their stores in Canada, though, but you can buy from their catalogue. They have all sorts of nifty punches and dyes and stuff, in case you don't want to do your own carving. They also have fake bear claws and eagles talons and such, drumming kits and all sorts of cool make-it-yourself items. And hides. Lots of hides. And bunny pelts.

lol thx bates, thx tyra
just a horn would suffice lol

but a friend of mine linked my a site where he bought the blowing horn. they also have drinking ones for they are so very costy >< think it was like 400 can$ ill check that Tandy thing.. lol hmmmm is there a link somewhere?

http://www.leatherfactory.com/products.asp?dept=155, down at the bottom.
A little bit bigger then mine, the local Tandy was out of stock, but the other leather place wasn't. Everyone should appreciate the fact my horn only holds 8 oz, it keeps me from drinking everything in one fell swoop, because I at least have to pause to refill. :p
Yeah, T, I've got the wholesale membership, pretty much paid for itself in 2 trips.