Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Technically speaking, yes, but there's no indication of such a temple there. Uppsala has been excavated quite extensively, and there are certain things you'd expect to find if a building had stood there, such as post holes or or a hearth (both of which leave either visible or chemical traces). Cultic places should have bones from sacrifices, too, don't you think? I mean, if they sacrificed people and animals in large quantities every 7 years, the remnants must be somewhere. Other cultic places, like Sorte Muld on Bornholm, and Uppåkra, come with Guldgubbar, which are thought to have been offerings, like the Greek temple coins. At Uppåkra and Sorte Muld they occur by the thousands, even. Anyhow, this is not to say that a temple wasn't there, but I am pointing out that one has to question such statements when they are made by a Christian man out to hurt the religion of the people regarding and area that he's never been to and in a language that the people do not undertand and cannot read. Especially in light of how he's included other fabrications or exaggerations in his writings (such as the cyclops). Even if a temple did exist, it then becomes questionable how much of the things surrounding the story itself is true, misinterpretations, misunderstandings etc. Take the famous tree, for example. How many very tall trees can you think of that would have occured in Sweden at that time, that has green leaves on it year round?

Oh, mind you, the original church that was first erected where Domkyrkan now stands, was a wooden structure. Its remanants are still under Domkyrkan, I think. Maybe that's what you were thinking of? Not that it is in the least bit unheard of for Christians to raise churches over heathen ritual space... I am however, pretty sure that the old remains have been exacvated, but I can't swear on it. I get facts like that mixed up at the moment, because I've had to read so many accounts of exacvated churches and church yeards with heathen individuals in them that I am not always sure which one was which... It'll come back to me once I get this paper done!

I found this in Wikipedia, but no references to back it up...
When Olof Skötkonung had been baptised he wanted to have it destroyed, but the Temple at Uppsala was probably destroyed by king Ingold I in 1087 during the last battle between the pagans and the Christians.

The new cathedral of the Swedish archbishopric was constructed on the site, and during an excavation of the church the remains of one or several wooden constructions were found.

The area also has a vast grave field that once comprised 2000-3000 mounds, and the remains of the houses of the Swedish kings. Since the Iron age, the area has always been the property of either the Swedish king or the Swedish state (the centre of the Uppsala öd). There is a museum and a restaurant where visitors can drink mead from horns

Yes, well, although I positively love Wikip., this is one of those articles that I don't love. Here are the reasons: A. there is nothing that says that that "final battle" had anything to do with heathens vs Christians in the first place, and B. Sweden was not even Sweden then, and so there was no such thing as a Swedish king to claim ownership of Uppsala. If there had been, he'd not have lived in a "house" for sure, he'd have lived in a longhouse (that's not me being snotty, I'm just pointing out that there are a few things that tell me that wholever wrote the article hadn't done their homework.. There are important distinctions between all the different kinds of buildings out there, and in this context, you really need to be specific), and the characteristic Norse tradition would have been for him to keep the longhouse of his predecessor rather than to build new ones for each king as the article implies. It is more likely that there is a longhouse with a number of storage houses, outhouses, barns, and lodging for visitors or warriors and their families than several buildings belonging to several kings. There weren't enough generations of kings between heathendom and when people started to write for there to be that many houses without us knowing who they belonged to. In any case, there were no kings, there were drotts, but that's about it.
C. The area was the last to be converted and so the likelyhood of Ingold's battle being the last between two lords where one was Christian and the other one wasn't is utter bullshit, to be frank.
D. There are all sorts of post holes all over Sweden, going back as far as the mesolithic. That doesn't mean they were post holes from a temple. According to Adam, this building was supposed to be huge. Not even Domkyrkancan be defined as "huge".
E. Like I said, the first churches built on the site were wooden constructions. Unlike Jesus, who apparently doesn't leave remains, churches leave post holes, which are indistinguishable from heathen temple post holes, or indian sweat lodges for that matter. In other words, you'd need some archaeological findings besides from the building itself to prove there was a temple there.
F. In all the ON litt, and the other "classical" litt, only groves and hargs and ve etc are mentioned, but actual temples, no, with one notable exception. So a temple would be an anomality, and as such, a temple is then more difficult to prove.

And as for 2000-3000 mounds...common now, how the hell do you just loose 1000 graves? There is a variance of 1000 dead people there, dude. If you do your homework, it's not very difficult to find out how many graves there actually are, never mind mounds. Sloppy homework again. Whoever wrote the article gets detention from me just for that alone.:heh:

I think there was some sort of structure, but the thing is that Adam never went there to see it. It could very well be that we're talking about a beautiful longhouse belonging to a rich lord in that area - someone with enough political clout to be able to host a thing and many warriors etc., and to build a very fancy building with all the riches that were typically associated with the longhouse and then some. The longhouse has a very long history that is extremely closely tied to the religious cult. The whole layout of the building is ruled by religious imagery and the building was also intimately tied to politics. As soon as people were converted, the longhouse structure disappeared. After 5000 or so years of the same construction, it just disappears within a few decades after the conversion of each individual area. A building that was that colsely tied to religious cult could quite easily have been perceived by someone like Adam as a "temple". And there certainly were some drotts in the area that had enough clout to build exquisite longhouses in huge size, and the whole purpose of such a building would have been to show political and religious (since the drott, as leader of the household and the warband, was in charge of religious ceremony) status. That, again, is just my own interpretation of things, though. There are just as many archaeologists that think there was a temple as there are those who think there wasn't. I take the middle path.

Krigly, I'll leave the answer to your question for Pagan, since Varg really wasn't active until after I left. But, having said that, churches have been burned for revenge in modern time, and for being planted on top of heathen sacred space also. Wheter it was Varg that did it, I don't know, but I bet Pagan does.

You know, I had a feeling you would end up debunking that one. There's a whole series of related articles that seem to take Adam of Bremen's work as entirely true, even saying that he saw these things as an eyewitness account (talking about Disablot), and I'm pretty sure the closest he ever came to Uppsala was Denmark.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of great hall there. Wasn't Old Uppsala supposedly the seat of the Yngling lineage? While I know hard evidence of them is lacking, I'm sure there was at least some basis in fact of there being a relatively powerful and wealthy line of leaders there.

Bones? Nahh. THe vikings ate the bones, for sure. The famous tree? Well, duuh! I'ts obviously magic! Hence it being famous! Duh!

And yes, Varg Vikernes main reason for burning down old churches was because they in all probablitiy were build upon holy pagan ground.

You know, I had a feeling you would end up debunking that one. There's a whole series of related articles that seem to take Adam of Bremen's work as entirely true, even saying that he saw these things as an eyewitness account (talking about Disablot), and I'm pretty sure the closest he ever came to Uppsala was Denmark.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of great hall there. Wasn't Old Uppsala supposedly the seat of the Yngling lineage? While I know hard evidence of them is lacking, I'm sure there was at least some basis in fact of there being a relatively powerful and wealthy line of leaders there.

Yeah, and that's why I agree that there is probably some sort of "important structure" there somewhere. And you're right, the closest Adam got to Uppsala was Denmark. Much of what he wrote about Scandinavia as a whole is based on accounts related to him by a Danish nobleman named Estridson. Some of that account is stuff that was related to Estridson by others in turn, which makes Master Adam's account unvarified third hand information in some places. Master Adam is also famous for not referencing well, so we don't know who said what and when, which makes it difficult for us to say when he's interpreted things in a Christian light, when he's seen it himself and so on. On the bright side, Estridson himself was raised in Denmark and therefore familiar with the Norse culture.

Yes.
(Swedish does not use apostrophies to show the genitiv form, and the lyricist is Swedish - easy mistake to make when you switch between languages...I do it all the time, only in reverse - I put apostrophies in the genitiv when I write in Swedish sometimes, just becuase I am so used to writing in English! Loki is Loki in Icelandic, but Loke in Swedish, and the lyricist is Swedish, so used the Swedish name, just like Oden is used rather than Odin etc.)

Such a simple question, yet such a long answer.

On the bright side, Estridson himself was raised in Denmark and therefore familiar with the Norse culture.

Familiar with Norse cullture, but... hmm, I got so mixed up in following the convoluted inheritance of Bluetooth's descendants, I forgot what my original point was to be. Damn kings and competing Christian churches make it too complicated for my simple mind. :err: But if I understand it right, Sweyn Estridson was Harald Bluetooth's grandson, and was mostly known for building his power through cooperation with the church...
So, again with the propaganda... You know, if I had lived in those days, I think I would've moved into the mountains and taken my chances with the trolls. :p

Yah, I'm thinking in terms of waaaaaay the hell up in the Yukon. Apparently there's a nice dig on the coast of Alaska. I'm seriously thinking on it, cuz if you're on the water, there aren't too many flying helicopters (a.k.a. skeeters and no-see-ums), Grizzlies and rattlers. And it's not so damn hot. Just the polar bears to contend with... I like to be close to Njord at all times anyhow, and also, if you're in the sticks out on some island in Alaska, what are the chances of my sister-in-law and her ilk stopping by for tea? Bonus!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifrost,_Manitoba
Hmm... too bad it's so far from the sea. I was fine with that... until I went out to California and smelled the ocean again. The Pacific smells wrong to me, but now I'm getting restless. :erk: At least I don't have as much of a problem with my in-laws... actually, my mother-in-law and her husband just sent me a book they picked up in Roskilde. It's actually a Smithsonian book, but it has some great pictures and maps, and seems to be pretty accurate so far.

This post brought to you by the lack of caffeine.

If these guys don't have it, it doesn't exist yet:http://www.forntidasmycken.com/
I own both of the big "fat" rings on the opening page, and the bracelet seen there. This is where I bought the chain from that's similar to the one you wanted only w/o the loop.
This place is my all time fave for brooches and such, because he is in the US and I can actually afford his stuff. Reasonably good quality, reliable retailer and he carries some rare items that you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere in North America:
http://www.quietpress.com/
This place is OK, too, but a bit pricey:
http://www.historiskasmycken.se/
Still love this place. Very good quality and workmanship. Yo get exactly what you pay for, which is why this, too, is a bit pricey:
http://www.kalevalakoru.com/

-T

'Cept for read up on your "geographic persona" before you buy - more often than not, the Norse had no buckles, just two metal loops. I suppose it is with that as with anything..depends on how rich you are (were). Buckles and jewellry were very much subject to geography, just like the womens' brooches. Some things that were typical in one area just don't exist the next town over.