Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Well i'd recommend NOT to start with anything from Snorri Sturluson. When I first started, i read 2 modern books resuming the myths, explaining them and all... I thought I knew it all well, then I read the Edda and it wasn't that easy...

Hi there

So i just registered here to ask a question, i had came across this thread some time ago and it defenitly was a very interesting read, so maybe someone here can help me.

I just stumbled upon this picture here ...
m_f04d407a65baed7b6cfbab2a38d0d66f.jpg

... and yeah, thought it was pretty kickass. Apparently it is from some russion folk pagan band/project named wolfsblood, that was the only source i could find.

Does somone know this or a smiliar symbol? I don't want to use it only to find out its related to some group or anything... that i don't want to be related to.

And of course, is maybe here someone able to translate the runes? Would be great. Thanks anyway

I haven't seen it before, probably it was designed as a logo for the band.
The runes you see there are all the runes from the Futhark, they don't have any special meaning.

oh shit.
I was just hit with a wave of panic, sort of. I was watching the history channel special on Nostradamus and his reading of the end of the world. He said that on Dec. 21 2012 the world would "end", meaning that this age would end through a bunch of natural disasters and such. He said that "the dead would walk again" and the world would be at war and in havoc. As I was thinking of this I came to realize that most of his vision correlates with ragnarok. Loki bringing the army of the dead against the Aesir in Valhal and such as is described in the eddas. If the world is going to end in 4 years, and ragnarok is to come in 4 years, what are we going to do? With the end of the Corpsehall and the rest of Asgard, if we die during the events that ultimately lead the the end of the age, where do we go? Join the army in Asgard during the war between the giants and gods? What about after? there wont be anywhere to go, its not like Baldr and the other surviving gods can get Gimli "up and running" instantly. In that time in between does everyone just go to Niflheim? I know this all may sound weird but I am very interested, it doesn't not seem like much speculation has gone into this subject, especially being as close as we are (possibly). Now I also haven't read any of the last 25 or so pages of this thread since I've been on the forum so this may have been covered already but I am very interested as in what your opinions might be.

oh shit.
I was just hit with a wave of panic, sort of. I was watching the history channel special on Nostradamus and his reading of the end of the world. He said that on Dec. 21 2012 the world would "end", meaning that this age would end through a bunch of natural disasters and such. He said that "the dead would walk again" and the world would be at war and in havoc. As I was thinking of this I came to realize that most of his vision correlates with ragnarok. Loki bringing the army of the dead against the Aesir in Valhal and such as is described in the eddas. If the world is going to end in 4 years, and ragnarok is to come in 4 years, what are we going to do? With the end of the Corpsehall and the rest of Asgard, if we die during the events that ultimately lead the the end of the age, where do we go? Join the army in Asgard during the war between the giants and gods? What about after? there wont be anywhere to go, its not like Baldr and the other surviving gods can get Gimli "up and running" instantly. In that time in between does everyone just go to Niflheim? I know this all may sound weird but I am very interested, it doesn't not seem like much speculation has gone into this subject, especially being as close as we are (possibly). Now I also haven't read any of the last 25 or so pages of this thread since I've been on the forum so this may have been covered already but I am very interested as in what your opinions might be.

That date Dec 21st, 2012 is in other text as the "end of the world"
The Mayan calendar ends on that date, so does the chinese I Ching.
There's also some computer program, called spider something or other that came up with the same date.

Well, if that's the case, with any luck, we fight and die well. Beats starving to death in the Fimbulvetr, anyway. But by most readings, most of us won't really need to worry about what happens after Ragnarök, as only 2 humans will survive. Or very few, anyway.
Now that being said, I can't say I place a whole lot of stock in Nostradamus. I'll worry when summer doesn't come. ;)

I never put stock in Nostradamus either, but now I think I will, and goddamn I can't wait. If the shit does hit the fan and all his visions come true, we'll actually be able to get that Valhal worthy death. I don't know about any of you, but I'm fucken excited.

Rok - it's kind of a cool ymbol, huh? I have not seen it usd before. It is some sort of hybrid between Norse runes/wolf symbolism and also a yin and yang with oriental origin.

VikingKid - There are tons of things like that, but if you look at it in terms of quantum physics and so on, Ragnarök and so on is not too very different from anything that we might foresee scientifically. In that way, Snorri is just as reliable in predicting the future as Nostradamus.

I don't believe it, mostly because I don't trust in the predictions made by someone long time ago. Just pay attention, and you'll see that's very easy to be an adivine. You just have to predict something that's going to happen in a lot of years (enough for you to be dead, so let's say for example like in... 300 years?) and be unexact, so people from that age will give it the meaning.
For example, if now I write that in the year 2300 the big one will fall, when in the year 2300 (or the sorroundings, you can always say that it's hard to predict with precission the exact year) something like that happens people will be saying "he was right, he was a holy man o_O". It doesn't matter if what falls down is an economic empire, a dictator, or just a basketball player, people will give to it the meaning according to the situation just because I was intelligent enough to be inexact in my prediction, and they were stupid enough to relate it to something.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great replies Tyra and GmT-Curwen. I shall start reading some of the stuff on the Northvegr website. Also found out my local library has the runes book you suggested Tyra so will have a look at that aswell and see how I get on :D

Thanks Again.

Xurek

/EDIT: I have a stupid question, how to you pronounce this letter: ð?
Sorry, I completely missed this question. It's pronounced like "th" in "this" or "the", as a difference to the thurisaz tune, which is also pronounced th, but th as in thrash or thing or think. One is th with a d sound, and one i´s th with a t shound. This is a very difficult letter for a German speaking person to pronounce in the first place...

Hahaha I remember that with the German coast guard hehe

I too, have a question today :) How did the Norse deal with lunar and solar eclipses? Did they have any explanations on who or what causes them? And if so, what were they? It so happens that there is a lunar eclipse happening right now as I am writting this, therefore I am curious to see how the Norse would have responded to them. I know the people of Novgorod in the 12th century were panicking in the streets during a solar eclipse on Aug. 11, 1124 AD. Here is the link to the chronicle: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/novgorod1.html
They apparently didn't know what to make of it haha.

Hehe, parts of that read like "Gods of War Arise" from the other perspective...
And when the lawless ones had already come near and set up battering rams, and took the town and fired it on Friday before Sexagesima Sunday, the [Prince] and Knyaginya and [Arch-bishop], seeing that the town was on fire and that the people were already perishing, some by fire and others by sword, took refuge in the Church of the Holy Mother of God and shut themselves in the Sacristy. The pagans breaking down the doors, piled up wood and set fire to the sacred church; and slew all, thus they perished, giving up their souls to God.

Funny you should ask - my husband said the same thing last night... I was in the middle of applying for a job, so I didn't really think too deeply at the time, and even now that I have, I still don't know the answer... I kind of had the same thought myself the other day. I was driving home from the US when I saw something falling out of the sky. It was bigger and faster than a star, but too far away for a plane. I thought it might have been a dead satellite or something. Turns out it was a meteorite that struck earth. Kewl, as long as you're not standing right where it lands I guess! They must have wondered about that kind of stuff. I mean, in Voluspá, the sky was made from Ymer's scull and all that. There probably was lore, but it may have been lost. I don't know of any at the top of my head like this, anyhow.

quote :"Hehe, parts of that read like "Gods of War Arise" from the other perspective..."
Bates: I never thought about that haha. Now that you mention it I see it too.

Tyra: A meteorite, cool indeed. I saw one a few months ago that was a giant fireball until it suddenly disintegrated into a dozen pieces and I had heard on the news soon after that a small piece of a meteorite had struck the earth somewhere south of the border (I can't remember which country it was) and it made a small crater that was full of some sulfurous compound that was making people sick that came to check the crater out. I'm sure there was lore out there at some point about this stuff. Its just a shame that we do not have it now. Arruughgh! Now its going to bug me...I will be in the "if I were an Old Norse woman how would I interpret that?" mode. Would I think that one of the wolves has swallowed the sun or moon and think it was a sign of the comming of Ragnarok and at least temporarily freak out? Would I think the meteorites falling to earth were signs of the battles between the gods and the giants? Or would I probably not notice it and continue with my crummy house work and tend to my embroidery, and making sure guests were well received...and that no one got too roudy in the mead hall! :p heh, sounds like my life now :p