Vilewoman's off-topic random retardation thread.

T

The Basque trip should be a fun one. Not sure of the exact places we will visit. Although I am super exited that a friend who has a farm of cedro negro and makes pata negra will let us stay with them. I just can't have enough of that food.

Every time I go up there I try to spend at least a day in Hondarribia/Fuenterrabía, and go for a few pintxos in San Sebastian old town- but then a pal of my father has a pintxo bar there so it's only expected we go.

Mmmm pata negra ham??? Even more jealous, but that will take you down south? Extremadura or Castille at the very least.

Spanish lass, help me out plse. We once had a grasa de puerco + bread crumbs sausage, i think it was in Asturias. It tasted really good (good i did not know what was in it). Or.... maybe it was in Salamanca......

Human heads are som much easier to prep than a lot of other animal skulls, too. It'd be relatively easy to make a bowl out of one as compared to, let's say, a pig skull or a wolf skull. And besides, the pig or the wold probably didn't do anything to deserve becoming a drinking vessel... Either way, they're a pain to clean out. Human skulls are not. Says the archaeologist...

Human heads are som much easier to prep than a lot of other animal skulls, too. It'd be relatively easy to make a bowl out of one as compared to, let's say, a pig skull or a wolf skull. And besides, the pig or the wold probably didn't do anything to deserve becoming a drinking vessel... Either way, they're a pain to clean out. Human skulls are not. Says the archaeologist...

Erm... I can only hope you are not trying to put together a set of goblets for a present.

Put the trepanator and the ice-cream scoop down were I can see them, please.

Spanish lass, help me out plse. We once had a grasa de puerco + bread crumbs sausage, i think it was in Asturias. It tasted really good (good i did not know what was in it). Or.... maybe it was in Salamanca......

Could be anything- for a country that was ruled by muslims for 800 years Spain did a lot of catching up and getting creative with pork in all its forms,--- your average sausage and blood pudding gets reinvented in every village.

If it is asturian it could be Fariñona (floury blood pudding) which looks like stanrdard blood pudding when cut, and like a haggis when uncooked... Botillo, which is normally served in a stew with cabbage...

Or was it more like a chorizo (red and spicy)?

I found it: El farinato es un embutido originario de Ciudad Rodrigo, en Salamanca, España, y actualmente extendido por toda la provincia y limítrofes. Por extensión, también se llama farinato al natural, perteneciente o relativo a Ciudad Rodrigo.
The name Fariñona did ring a bell:kickass: Thanks!

I found it: El farinato es un embutido originario de Ciudad Rodrigo, en Salamanca, España, y actualmente extendido por toda la provincia y limítrofes. Por extensión, también se llama farinato al natural, perteneciente o relativo a Ciudad Rodrigo.
The name Fariñona did ring a bell:kickass: Thanks!

Ooooido cocinaa!!!!! Glad to have helped.

Have to say I never heard of it- but that's probably not widely available outside the Salamanca region, as many other things.

This kinda makes think about the lyrics of Where Silent Gods Stand Guard :lol:

I just thought Belgar- maybe check if you can get a good rate in a Parador (hotels set in converted historical buildings) . Sometimes it happens and you get a real bargain.

the one in Hondarribia (10 century fortress originally) is fantastic, we got a weekend stay there as a Xmas present two years ago :heh: you could fit a whole village in that bed. :heh: and with the 5 foot thick walls you could be as noisy as you wish, no one will hear. The backyard looks on the Bidasoa estuary, gorgeous view.

It was hagg mentioning Ciudad Rodrigo that brought it to mind, another one of these places there.

OK, so here's my story on prepping heads:
Human heads are easy, because they have big openings in them where you can get at the brain (i.e. so you can stick in a scoop and scoop out the brains), and the face has no snout, i.e. it's flat, which makes things a lot easier. The reason I know that is because on digs, you sometimes have to get sand or dirt etc out of the brain cavity. You still have to be really gentle, because the bone is brittle and the teensy bones in the ears are easily lost. Anyhow, pigs do have snouts, and the openings are not easy to get at. It's a pain in the ass to get the brains out without breaking the bones. If a skeleton is ancient, there is generally no brains to remove (not always true, though), but on occasion, I've had to prep skeletons from various animals to be used as educational tools (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). The other week, I spent several hours prepping another pig. This one was a piglet, which makes the openings even tinier. Cleaning out the brains is time consuming and annoying and sticky (as in not worth the trouble, only worth it if it's a boar or something with tusks). Anyhow, got it done. Put the skull out to dry, up high and after a few days I boxed it much like how I'd have boxed ancient remains. The box was closed up tight, placed i another box, which was closed up tight and placed up on a shelf. Then the door to the room was closed, door knob and all. My rather large dog knows she is not to take anything off tables and counter tops. She's never once chewed up anything before. Apparently this does not apply to things in boxes. She single handedly managed to open the door (!!), pull down the box (!!), open it without damaging it at all, then open the box inside it (also without damaging it), pull out the jaw bone and twelve other smaller bones, devour the 12 small bones (probably whole), chew off some of the jaw and exit the room undetected. I still have no idea how she did it or why, and for some reason, she left the rest of the skull (and several other boxes of bones) alone... Then I started asking her why she looked so guilty, and she really, really looked guilty, searcjed the house, found the rest of the bones still in the box and well, tried really hard to figure out if I was more mad at her for wrecking all my hard work or proud of her for the feat she'd accomplished...

That is an amazingly smart dog you have there. I have seen dogs open doors before, but opening 2 boxes without destroying it....well that's a damn good thief you have there!
I am curious though...how exactly do you get the brains out? Even in mummification they had to break through the nasal cavity to get the brains out. (They had other tricks as well, but non that doesn't involve breaking a bone somewhere.) So how exactly is that done?

LOL Tyra... smart dog!

Dogs in general are ace- Mutts are even smarter. But when they mess with something they shouldn't you can smell the guilt from miles away. Cats in general don't give a shit.

A question though... how do you scoop the brain out? :ill:

Did something today I never usually do. Spent an Hour and a half letting my brothers fiance do my hair...not sure its an experience I want to do again,my ass is numb. But what can I say they bribed me with free beer and crawfish :D

Ugh, water bugs!

My southern friends hate it when I say that, but in all fairness, I say it about lobster, too.

MUD BUGS!!!

Sorry its the only southern term I have learned that still makes me laugh my ass off..Ironically its also the name of the hockey team here

Happy Birthday Johan!!!

We're grumpy bastards this year, not having any birthday threads. :cry:

On another note, I have been dodging wasps all day at work. I have a desk job. And my office has a pest problem.

MUD BUGS!!!

Sorry its the only southern term I have learned that still makes me laugh my ass off..Ironically its also the name of the hockey team here

Well, in some places in the South, I have on good authority, if it used to breathe, it's fair game to eat. :heh:

Your average sauce probably has ground locusts to give it thickness. :Smug: