Watershed vs Ghost Reveries

Watershed or Ghost Reveries

• Watershed

Votes: 121 63.0%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 71 37.0%

• Total voters
@Geist
By definition, it's not possible for more than one work to be a masterpiece, and I don't clearly understand how your question relates to my thesis. What I'm wondering is whether or not the past two albums (which are quite similar to each other in every respect) have produced an entirely new fanbase considering they are a break, musically, from previous directions. My understanding is that BP garnered them a new and much larger fanbase than they had prior. The current state of this forum suggests this has happened again. What are your thoughts?

Call it masterpiece, call it "fucking-good-album", same for me. I totally agree with your theory, I just mean that it is possible to enjoy BP as much as GR, for example. My post was just a precision.

@dorian gray: I've never felt that a masterpiece has to be a single piece from an artist's works. I mean, what the hell is Michaelangelo's or Van Gogh's or Da Vinci's masterpiece, then? Aren't, like, most of their works masterpieces? Not to nitpick, as Mr. Tufnel says...

I honestly couldn't tell you which one is 'better' or which one I prefer. They are completely different from each other.

Well now that I've given it plenty of listens..

I enjoy Watershed more than Ghost Reveries.

Blackwater Park
Morningrise
Still Life
Watershed
Orchid
MAYH
Ghost Reveries
Damnation
Deliverence

Watershed is easily their worst. It's dreary and retro almost throughout. Hessian Peel is THE ONLY song that gives me that "fuck yeah, this is why I listen to Opeth" feeling. It's just gotten worse with repeated listenings. The Lotus Eater was cool the first few times, but didn't really hold up. Color me disappointed. Ghost Reveries is one of their top 3 imo, so the decision is easy :p

Watershed is easily their worst. It's dreary and retro almost throughout. Hessian Peel is THE ONLY song that gives me that "fuck yeah, this is why I listen to Opeth" feeling. It's just gotten worse with repeated listenings. The Lotus Eater was cool the first few times, but didn't really hold up. Color me disappointed. Ghost Reveries is one of their top 3 imo, so the decision is easy :p
:erk: yikes

In this order: Still Life > Blackwater Park > Watershed > MA,YH > Damnation

(My fav Top 5)

Opeth is just a great fucking band. There is no such thing as a 'casual' Opeth fan. You either like their stuff or you don't IMO.
If all you like is their death metal style, then I'm afraid that doesn't make you a true Opeth fan. :)

Most of the people in here bitching about this album are the types of Opeth fans that want them to release Still Life over and over again. I say screw that, if you want to listen to that style then listen to those CD's. Opeth is first and foremost a progressive band and they will continue to change and mold. The best thing about Opeth is that no two of their albums sound alike. If you don't like change your listening to the wrong band. Period.

Ok....here is my top, even if it the 10th billion time I am posting it

1.My Arms Your Hearse
2.Still Life
3.Blackwater Park
4.Morningrise
5.Orchid
6.Ghost Reveries
7.Damnation
8.Deliverance
9.Watershed

I am sorry, but Watershed is the one that I am least enjoying it.

Most of the people in here bitching about this album are the types of Opeth fans that want them to release Still Life over and over again. I say screw that, if you want to listen to that style then listen to those CD's. Opeth is first and foremost a progressive band and they will continue to change and mold. The best thing about Opeth is that no two of their albums sound alike. If you don't like change your listening to the wrong band. Period.

Nice response, but Ghost Reveries is my second or third favorite behind MAYH. This one just sucks and feels like a dry retread besides the first song which sounds like jethro tull or something and the song that sounds like a power ballad which is meh city, besides Hessian Peel which I like and some of the weird breaks in Lotus Eater which were cool the first few times. Hex Omega I've listened to several times and can't remember a single riff, it's that stale. Porcelain Heart is 90% the same goddam powerchord progression with different things layered over it. Ughhh.

We have to understand that Opeth of year 2008 is almost a different band than that of 1998. MAYH was more melodic and straightforward, less proggy. It's totally understandable that there are Opeth fans who don't like Watershed and the other way around, but this all simply shows the versatility of Opeth.

Watershed is the first album that I don't like. GR was solid all the way through.. WS starts out soft.. kind of gets good.. does a nintendo mario brothers keyboard thing that ruins an entire song, the solos are awkward, the flow of the songs is disjointed and non-inspirational, then their is an ending I have to skip everytime I hear it because it's de-tuneing.... I just can't listen to this album from start to finish without fastforwarding through annoyances.

Sorry, my honest opinion as of right now.. Maybe it will grow on me in the future.. but as of right now, that's what I got.

Flame me and suck my dick.

I sort of agree with most of what this dude says - except for the dick part :Smokin:

I think Per brings SO much to their game, and the keyboards this time out are much better and more integrated.

But GR is what got me started on Opeth. I realize - after backtracking through the catalogue - that it's not their strongest. But for me it's right up there....

On a side note, I never expected to like Orchid at all, but for some reason these days I keep going back to it. It's fucking inpenetrable, but in a most enjoyable way! Ha ha

We have to understand that Opeth of year 2008 is almost a different band than that of 1998. MAYH was more melodic and straightforward, less proggy. It's totally understandable that there are Opeth fans who don't like Watershed and the other way around, but this all simply shows the versatility of Opeth.

This guys got it

This is obviously their biggest love hate/record due to the fact that its so different

Its not stale.. cmon now.

I say GR right now, but Watershed it growing on me.

IMO though, I say Blackwater Park is still in my top 4; along with GR, Deliverance, and Watershed.

I remember when I first discovered Opeth thanks to an old friend of mine I used to play Halo 2 with. Opeth was a huge change for me, but since then (3-4 years ago) I have never been able to get away from them. I love the changes in pace and his voice is amazing.

Mikael is truthly a musical genious.

Watershed is teh very fantastic and I am not drunk you fucki cunts. Eat my shit, wankerzezeerezssss.
Massive massive fail, you fuck yourself you incompetent fucking cretin, since when do you know fucking shit. Cunt!!!!!

Lesson for newbs: Don't post your list of ranked Opeth albums. You WILL change them a hundred times before you have settled on a final list and more experienced know this.

Vivören;7315917 said:
Watershed is teh very fantastic and I am not drunk you fucki cunts. Eat my shit, wankerzezeerezssss.

Massive massive fail, you fuck yourself you incompetent fucking cretin, since when do you know fucking shit. Cunt!!!!!

I approve of this post, though it doesn't really need any approval.

It is only my opinion but it seems quite simple. Not only is Watershed an amazing album but has the added bonus of weeding out the people who weren't real Opeth fans to begin with. Judging from all the needless hating of Watershed on here.

It is only my opinion but it seems quite simple. Not only is Watershed an amazing album but has the added bonus of weeding out the people who weren't real Opeth fans to begin with. Judging from all the needless hating of Watershed on here.

As much as I love Watershed, I don't agree with this sentiment at all. What the hell is "real Opeth fans" supposed to mean? I adore the album, but I acknowledge that there are those who don't. And I wouldn't call it "needless hating." It's just people voicing their opinions.

It is very difficult to say which Opeth album is their worse because they are all great in one way, but I know for sure Watershed would not even be close to that list.