What and why????

These are what I'm listening to heavily right now, not all the bands I've listen to in the genre.

Traditional metal:
Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy

Power metal:
Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Angra, Stratovarius, Symphony X

Progressive rock/progressive metal:
King Crimson, Yes, Tool, Dream Theater, Opeth

Thrash
Metallica, Slayer, Iced Earth

Death/Black metal:
In Flames, Soilwork

Rock/Punk:
Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bad Religion, Queen, Styx, Audioslave, Queens of the Stone Age

Techno/industrial metal
Rammstein, Stabbing Westward, Static-X

"Nu Metal"
System of a Down (Yeah, go ahead and shoot me)

I listen to lots of death, metalcore, hardcore, grindcore and black metal...metalcore and grindcore being my absolute favorite because i love fucking grooved out and heavy breakdowns..gets me every time

Death: Decapitated, Impaled, Origin, Hate Eternal, Deeds of Flesh, Exhumed, Nile, Circle of Dead Children, Gorerotted, Fuck...I'm dead, etc..

Black: Bathory, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir (fuck you tr00 fucks!), Darkthrone, Mayhem, Satyricon, Emperor, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Zyklon etc...

Metalcore: Coalesce, Burnt By The Sun, Lamb of God, December, God Forbid, Norma Jean, Converge etc..

Hardcore: Indecision, Hatebreed, Eighteen Visions, Poison The Well, Haste, Atreyu, Bloodlet, Strife...

Grindcore: Napalm Death, Soilent Green, Pig Destroyer, Benumb, Nasum, Today is the Day (debatable, I know), Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Halo...

Here are a few of my favorites album that I listen too all the time:
Iced Earth (Alive in Athens) Power
Luca Turilli (King of Nordic Twilight and Prophet...) Symphonic/cosmic
BLAZE (Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension) Heavy

If you would like some old school hard rock check Demon and Motorhead :)

DEATH METAL: Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal, Dying Fetus, In Flames(Its like DM+Power, strange type of music, but good) Nile, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy(EXCELLENT), some more i cant think of

Black Metal: Not too much here i like, but this is the shit that incorporates lots of screeching vocals with more satanism found in the music, similiar to death metal. I dont know too much about this genra though, so any corrections will be duely noted. Dark Funeral, Immortal, My dying bride, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate all i can think of.

THRASH METAL: My favorite. The begining of FAST FAST FAST metal. Blast beats+Screaming Vox+Fast Guitars+Shredding solos+MOSHING. Testament, Metallica, Anthrax, SLAYER, MEGADETH, Pantera, Kreator, Sodom,

Classic Metal: This plus Thrash is my favorite.
Lots of good intricate solos, not a lot of fast blast beats, but its fast high tempo music. Good riffing that is melodic and vocalizations that are high pitched and more singing oriented than any other metal(to me).
Iron maiden, Judas priest, Dio, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Thats all i can think of.

Then theres bands like Down and Gwar that are just like hard to place, I guess down is like stoner metal and gwar is theatrical metal

Finally! New 2003 Heir Apparent! Terry Gorle has Mike Blair (ex-Etheria) on vocals. This demo was conceived, written and recorded in a day. Sounds like the SAVIOR device in the song could be a part of a concept album.

http://www.heirapparent.com/mp3/savior.mp3
headbob.gif

I'm currently listening to Vital Remains - Dechristianize because it's very powerful stuff. With some amazingly inspiring guitar moments. Not to mention this is the best thing Glen Benton has ever been a part of. :)