What are you learning?

im learning selkies- the endless obsession, by between the buried and me.

such a kickass song, so many fun time signatures, so many sweet riffs, so prog, a couple of 10 notes / second passages and plenty of sweep!

Reactions: Anonymous
Just learned "Killing In The Name" by RATM and "Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart" by the Stone Temple Pilots on the bass... both are rather easy (though "Trippin'..." has a killer bass line that needs a little practice to nail), but fun to play.
I learned both of them in a couple of hours, unlike those damn Rush songs, some of which have taken me YEARS to become good at.

my school is different. I am in this group of about 15 who listen to metal. But there are only 3 people including me who listen to the good shit (Blind Guardian, Opeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc)

Same at my High school. I can break down what everyone listens to.

60% Top 40 (Green Day, All American Rejects, Beyonce, etc.)
30% Rap and R&B trash
9% Emo Trash
1% Metal (Me and one of my friends who likes Opeth)

i listen to all of the above, youd be quite suprised what some people listen to, most people arent bothered about how "metal" they can be or how "emo" they can be, most people in my music department at college have heard of symphony x and about 20% actually listen to them

At my school I was the only person in the whole school who had even heard of Symphony X until I started spreading the good news... Even then, no one else liked them... It was a hard, lonely road...

the main problem with getting people i know into symphony x is that they are so cheesy, first time i heard symphony x i heard of sins and shadows and almost pissed myself laughing (all those cheesy vocal interludes were just too much to take in), i had never heard anything so cheesy in my entire life, i only started taking them seriously when it got to the solo, the key is to just play people a few of the solos, thats the bait, then you reel them in, and they learn to appreciate the cheese.

Right, I'm now pretty much on top of "Theme from The Missing" for my cousins wedding, so now I can really start to focus on 'Overture 1928' again. I'm looking foward to some real progress, and should hopefully be able to give an update in the not too distant future...

Conrad Simon = The winz0rz.

Speaking of Conrad, Brandon, did you ever tell him for me that he makes me look like a guitar n00b?

Dude, you're heaps lucky to have such an awesome guitar player for a teacher!!! Is he as good a teacher as he is player??? I'm looking for a guitar teacher who is awesome at all styles like that, but has a definate leaning towards the heavier, faster side of guitar... Hopefully I can find one similar to him... I really need some guidance on the electric...

just keep on the track ur going man. Learning Dream Theater songs will greatly improve your playing and your outlook on guitar.