What are you learning?

Outside chord progressions?

It is basically playing over chords that change key/ are in a strange key. For example in the Guitar solo on ignotus per ignotium by Planet x there are 4 chords. The first 2 are (Bb sus4 add 6) and (C# sus4) the last 2 are (E#4 add4) and (Dsus4). Over the first 2 you can play a Bb dorian/minor etc and the last 2 change key to E lydian.

It is basically playing over chords that change key/ are in a strange key. For example in the Guitar solo on ignotus per ignotium by Planet x there are 4 chords. The first 2 are (Bb sus4 add 6) and (C# sus4) the last 2 are (E#4 add4) and (Dsus4). Over the first 2 you can play a Bb dorian/minor etc and the last 2 change key to E lydian.

E lydian over Dsus4? o_O

The notes to the last chord are D,F#,A. It appears I got my scales mixed up it is infact E mixolydian:loco: You can probably see how that could get confusing.:lol:

The notes to the last chord are D,F#,A. It appears I got my scales mixed up it is infact E mixolydian:loco: You can probably see how that could get confusing.:lol:

D,F#,A = D major, not Dsus4

and yes, E mixolydian sounds much better to me (even if don't know the tune ;) )

still that E#4 (add 4) can't exist.. the 4th can't be both natural and sharpened in the same chord!
I guess it could be a dominant or a sus4 chord....
which are the notes?

my school is different. I am in this group of about 15 who listen to metal. But there are only 3 people including me who listen to the good shit (Blind Guardian, Opeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc)

Same here. There are a few black metal heads around who I think are actually Satanists.

D,F#,A = D major, not Dsus4

and yes, E mixolydian sounds much better to me (even if don't know the tune ;) )

still that E#4 (add 4) can't exist.. the 4th can't be both natural and sharpened in the same chord!
I guess it could be a dominant or a sus4 chord....
which are the notes?

E,G#,A. E sus4

I should have probably re read my original post.:loco: