what are you reading?

That's about five people I've heard say that "John Dies at the End" is actually a good book. I should give it a try. A lot of stuff on Permuted Press looks awesome though. And having never read the Dark Tower series. Is it one I should go to the library and check out one at a time, buy one at a time, or just buy the whole damn thing right now?

I'm always a "buy one at a time" kind of person when it comes to series, because you never know at which point you'll either burn out, stop caring about the series, etc.

I couldn't even make it through Wizard and Glass, but I totally recommend the first 3. Maybe I'll try getting back into that book and finishing up the rest, we'll see.

I'd definately recommend 5 as well, 6 is pretty good too but much more just leading up to the last book etc.

I can understand though how people don't really like the fourth one, I didn't think it was too bad though :p

to each their own I guess. it was between the previous one and that one where it went from building up and putting background to everything into starting to aim it towards an eventual end

Borrowed Richard K Morgan's The Cold Commands, his second fantasy novel. I think he might be going a little too far in pursuit of gritty, brutal, not-Papa-Tolkien-anymore fantasy, but the characters are engaging and the story is extremely well paced. I should really check out his sci-fi stuff sometime.

0575077891.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The last in the trilogy and it is such a good series. It's a really gritty hard fantasy book with tons of fighting, and the author does an amazing job at character portrayal and story-telling.

The last in the trilogy and it is such a good series. It's a really gritty hard fantasy book with tons of fighting, and the author does an amazing job at character portrayal and story-telling.
HELL AND FUCK YES. Joe is probably one of the best fantasy authors writing today. I'm pleased to say that his two stand-alones continue increasing in quality, with The Heroes possibly being my favorite spec-fic release of 2011.

And unlike all my other favorite fantasy authors, he just shits out books constantly!

Just finished Confront and Conceal by NYT reporter David E Sanger. Also finished Jared Diamond's epic Guns Germs and Steel, which should be required reading. There's a reason it's on the state department's reading list.