Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Share my favorite bands and songs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JUst read the forum

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Everything

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
I think it's a good thing he didn't beat around the bush.... It irritates me when people do that. However, I do think Cinaed could have made the same statement in a way that didn't come off as nothing more than an unhelpful insult.

This is all assuminng he was serious. The ":p" leads me to believe otherwise. :D

What does it even matter? I like Symphony X, but I haven't listened to a song of theirs in months. Mainly because I listened the shit out of their best stuff already years ago. Good band, but their latest direction isn't what I'm into these days. I would assume it's more or less the same for some other folk here too.

What does it even matter? I like Symphony X, but I haven't listened to a song of theirs in months. Mainly because I listened the shit out of their best stuff already years ago. Good band, but their latest direction isn't what I'm into these days. I would assume it's more or less the same for some other folk here too.
SAme here, I already got bored of most of their albums after hearing them like a thousand times by now

I can still put on Damnation Game and be blown away... :D

DG is classic. So classic. When I have classic cheesy metal days it goes on right along with Manilla Road, Judas Priest, Brocas Helm, Virgin Steele & Accept.

The only albums I put on and get blown away these days are the last 2 Iconoclast and paradise lost. The older ones have gotten too old to me. I can see a long white beard coming out of the album covers

I can still put on V and be blown away, so there's that

Seconded. Completely agree.

For about 3-4 years all I ever listened to was Symphony X and Iced Earth. I would criticize other bands and tell them the only good stuff is with these two bands. I now realize how much of a douche I was and looking back I now know that I limited myself too much just for the sake of my ego.

Since then I've found so much new great music that I really enjoy. Symphony X is still in the mix though so its not like I completely threw the band out hehe.

Fuckin Zach is a legend among legends. PS dude, I went to a Symphony X concert with him in New York City. So your info is dubious.

Okay. You have a point.

For me it´s almost absurd the quality and quantity of great bands I have discovered thanks to this forum. I used to come here because SX´s was my favorite band and I was in an almost desperate need for Iconoclast´s updates ( :S ). Curiosly, I lost interest on the band thanks to what I have encountered here. Even today I keep discovering nice things, as Mr. Bungle!

I still have some interest in SX and still give V an occasional listening. And I´ll keep in expectation for their upcoming music, there is no question about that. But being honest, I keep coming here just to discover new bands. Keep posting please :D

Personally I never really discovered any bands here. Thats not what I come for, because I have Wikipedia or Metal Archives which I find much easier ways to discover bands

I use progarchives (folk and prog), metalstorm (new metal releases) and last.fm (related artists; see what people with good taste listen to). I've followed up on some great recommendations here as well. Other than that I just google search.

Wikipedia? How does that work?

MA on the other hand... definitely.
Im not solely a metal fan, I listen to non-metal genres as well. So I can go to Wikipedia and search various genres there and find lists of bands and artists and all that. There are many useful articles on there, you just need to learn how to find things on there. MA on the other hand is limited to metal so I cant always find what I want on there. But one thing I like about MA is the user reviews. They can be quite interesting to read

I go to http://scaruffi.com/music.html

Ok, I haven't actually used this for discovering much yet, but was shown this recently and it's something else. on the Internet since 1983, and it looks it too! Contains profiles of over 8,000 musicians. Written by a single guy. Yeah! Whether or not you agree with his opinions, the range is impressive as fuck.

I go to http://scaruffi.com/music.html

Ok, I haven't actually used this for discovering much yet, but was shown this recently and it's something else. on the Internet since 1983, and it looks it too! Contains profiles of over 8,000 musicians. Written by a single guy. Yeah! Whether or not you agree with his opinions, the range is impressive as fuck.
Not really the kind of website I'd visit for discovering anything, also website looks poorly made

I find that slightly ironic considering you have your own blog for writing music reviews.

Yes, the website is a bit of a mess to actually go through, which I already implied, but you are missing the point. Maybe it's just me, but the thought of a cognitive scientist, who has written books on Artificial Intelligence and The Nature of Consciousness and lectured at multiple universities since the 80s, listening to Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse and digging it, makes me smile.