what do you think is the greatest Metal album ever

everything is relative. different things will create different reactions within people. thats proof enough your last statement was moronic ...

however, in saying that some ppl have rubbish opinions. these are generally ppl who have no general knowledge of what they are comparing things to.

assessing music in its entirety requires an informed subjective opinion. no more and no less.

-> on with the opinions plz.

Guardian of Darkness said:
It has been proven that certain sound-progressions inspire certain things in every person's mind. This is proof enough that art isn't entirely subjective.
This is true, but the subjective phenomenology of the aesthetic functions above, beyond and far more consciously than the basic and initial primal reaction to art (be it pleasing notes or striking visuals). The scientific fact that certain specific attributes in art always evoke slight and almost subconscious reactions is a far cry from justifying anyone's posturing themselves as objectively knowing the true value and quality of any artwork. Least of all you, who's entire such knowledge is second-hand.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Looks like someone's mad because I don't like their little Slayery Wayery. How kyoot.
Like I said before and i'll say again (in case it went over your head), it does not matter whether you actually like Slayer or not. It is a well known F-A-C-T that 'Reign In Blood' is one of the most influential and innovative metal albums of all time.

Even I can give acknowledgements to Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath even though I may not be a fan of any of their albums.

Of course, knowledge of music, of the ideologies present, of the developmental history of metal, intelligence, etc etc, make people more apt to analyse than other people. I only stated the sound-progressions thing to show that art wasn't entirely subjective.

everything is relative. different things will create different reactions within people. thats proof enough your last statement was moronic ...
Note the word proven.

Knowledge will enhance a persons ability to analyze a work of art, and judge its quality. There is of course no position of 'absolute objectivity', and preferences will always change over time. But over all, there's nothing strange with this concept.

No, the strange thing is that as soon as some people discover that they like Graveland, they think like this: "I have knowledge of metal music. That's good. I will now adapt a jerkass behaviour and disqualify all opinions that differs from mine, using ready-made phrases and sarcastic one-liners. It is of course impossible that anyone could have the same high intelligence and vast amount of knowledge I have and yet have other preferences than I. I am so smart. S-M-R-T."

Very strange. Why does knowledge of music equal inability to communicate?

As for the topic - if I have to pick just one, it will be:
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion

Haha, like the new sig Chris....I didn't know you were Canadian.

Excellent post Chook, but you're entirely mistaken with To Mega Therion.

Everything posted here so far is inferior to Elements Pt.II :headbang:

Chook said:
No, the strange thing is that as soon as some people discover that they like Graveland, they think like this: "I have knowledge of metal music. That's good. I will now adapt a jerkass behaviour and disqualify all opinions that differs from mine, using ready-made phrases and sarcastic one-liners. It is of course impossible that anyone could have the same high intelligence and vast amount of knowledge I have and yet have other preferences than I. I am so smart. S-M-R-T."

Very strange. Why does knowledge of music equal inability to communicate?
I disqualify the opinions that quite blatantly suck. Some of the bands I promote don't get many listens from me, I just acknowledge their quality. The "jerkass behaviour" and "sarcastic one-liners" you speak of are usually present only when somebody has aggravated me.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I disqualify the opinions that quite blatantly suck. Some of the bands I promote don't get many listens from me, I just acknowledge their quality. The "jerkass behaviour" and "sarcastic one-liners" you speak of are usually present only when somebody has aggravated me.

Congratulations on being one of the less annoying self-proclaimed elitists. Your post actually made sense, and didn't include any random references to 'judeo-christian morality'. What's that Aretha? "R-E-S-P-E-C-T!" Yeah, why not. If you need a blowjob, feel free to contact me.

And if you want a sucky opinion to disqualify - I like Mortician.

IMO the greatest metal albums ever...

10) Nargaroth-Herbsteyld
9) Neurosis-Through Siver in Blood
8) Dissection-Storm of the Lights Bane
7) Burzum-Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
6) Agalloch- The Mantle
5) Opeth-Still Life
4) My Dying Bride-Angel and the Dark River
3) Opeth-My Arms Your Hearse
2) Emperor-Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
1) Opeth-Morningrise
or something like that...

Mortician is the Brutal Soundtrack to the Apocalypse where Jewish Zombies will eat the feeble brains of all Judeo-Christian Harassment Pandas.

The More Jews You Kill, The More Zombies There Will Be To Devour You.
When There's No More Room In The Ghetto, The Dead Shall Walk The Earth.
Beware! The Darkest Day Of Kikes Is Coming!

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
I can think of a reason someone would disagree. There is this thing that they just invented called "preference", and if you don't like something, you're allowed to disagree. What a novel concept.
The question isnt "What's your favorite metal album ever?", so my oppinion is that Reign in Blood has had the largest effect on metal since its release.

And anyway, I mentioned that I thought it was the most 'significant album ever'... it's far from my personal favorite.

Chook said:
Judeo-Christian Harassment Pandas.
Awesome! I almost pissed mesen laughing at that.

PS favourite metal album = Master of Reality by Black Sabbath

Or is it Vol.4...?

Argh! Can't decide...

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

From start to finish it's the finest quality Metal with new ideas, some of the best songwriting, some of the best Metal tracks and some of the best instrumentation ever.