What do your friends/family think of metal?

Mother: doesn't really get it or care. She just listens to '60s pop rock.

Stepfather: he's mainly a country/blues guy (also plays in a country/blues band). The heaviest stuff he usually listens to is southern rock bands like ZZ Top and Skynyrd, or some hard rock. He finds it amusing that I listen to "all those growlin' bands". :Smug:

Father: mainly a '70s prog rock guy, but has some limited taste in metal. Overall metal's not his thing, but he doesn't mind being introduced to new stuff, so I usually bring something over when I see him. He's expressed approval of later Bathory and Therion, solo Zakk Wylde, and a bit of Cathedral and Electric Wizard. Opeth's Damnation was an easy win for him, of course. As far as I know, the only metal band he really cares about is Black Sabbath.

Brother: mostly listens to '70s hard/prog rock, but has a decent level of metal taste. Usually it's older bands like Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden.

Friends: most of my closer friends don't mind listening to certain metal, but it's not a well-loved genre for any of them. One of them really loves Clutch and Children of Bodom; another loves Therion and lighter Opeth. That's about it.

Parents dont care, my mum is a fan of Sabbath, Metallica, Dio, etc so shes cool with it. My Dad is too drunk to care. My bro is a metalhead but into more traditional stuff. And my friends like quite abit of metal anyway.

My parents don't care about the less extreme stuff like Slayer, Testament Iron Maiden etc. They don't really know I listen to anything real extreme.

My sister Dosn't really understand it that much but dosn't really care either.

My brother is one that got me into metal when he bought me Master of Puppets for my birthday. He dosn't listen to anything real extreme, but tends to listen to thrash and mainstreme bands like Pantera etc.

My friends a few listen some extreme bands but also listen to bands like Slipknot etc. The rest don't really care and sometimes joke about it, which pisses me off sometimes.

My parents don't really care.

As for friends, I have one who is just starting to get into metal and I recommend bands to him a lot.. That's pretty much it though. The few "metalheads" that I know only like mallcore shit.

Well I haven't been living with my parents for like 10 years. But they never really cared about what I listen to. My mom just didn't seem to like it when she saw the cover of Impaled "Choice Cuts". Besides that they never really say anything.

My younger brother likes rap and hip hop now...at some point he was listening to some of the same music I do. So when he started listening to this crap I gave him a guitar and an amplifier to try to get him back...sadly it didn't work.

My younger sister listens to a bunch of crap mainly...as long as it plays on the radio or she can dance to it in a club she seems to likes it. My girlfriend is pretty much the same thing...although she do seem to like Augury and Unexpect.

I have 1 of my friend who listen to metal but isn't really passionate about it. If I make him discover bands or listen to music he likes it but he won't dig deeper then what I give him. I have one of my friend who likes tool and stuff like that. He can appreciate the musicianship in metal but he doesn't really like it enough to listen to it often. Besides that my other friends don't seem to care at all for music.

I have one friend who thinks it's too "harsh", but appreciates the quality of metal, two who like a little bit of it, and the rest don't care either way. As for my family, the only one who has an opinion on metal is my younger brother, who also listens to metal.

Parents - Dad listens to alot of 80's hair bands. Poison, Van Halen, Scorpion. He likes Slayer and Megadeth though. My mom has nothing to do with metal, she listens to Sting and the Police.

Brother - Loves it more than I do

Friends - Most of em listen to metal, but none of the death or thrash bands I listen to. (Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, etc.) I have one friend who's a fucking obsessive Metallica fanboy. A few years ago he made a 'Metallica Dictionary' filled with Metallica 'terms' and 'expressions'. He said, "I'm going to put it online to encourage new generations of Metallica fans!" That COMPLETELY turned me off from listening to them.

Parents: dad listens ALOT of hard rock, motorhead, old metallica, black sabbath etc etc, mom kinda likes dimmu (ya rly) and some other more extreme metal, but mainly listens G&R etc.. friends mostly listen metal or at least hard rock

Wow, alot of peoples parents like metal here. My parents don't because they grew up in the 50s and 60s.

My dad actually got me into metal. He owned alot of Sabbath and Priest albums, along with Metallica. He didn't stray far away from the more traditional stuff either though.

Rest of my family and including friends thinks it's shit. My girlfriend does like Opeth though.

I've grown up in a very Catholic family, so my sister always asks me why I listen to that stuff given the subject matter. I told her the subject matter isn't supposed to be serious some of the time.

my parents and my friends know that i'm not stupid cuz i listen some music that they don't comprehend...

anyway, i don't give liberty to criticize what i listen cuz i don't criticize what they listen

oh and I have a friend who actually hates Black Sabbath. no joke.

Punch him in the stomach until he likes them.

Anyway, I'm about the only guy who listens to my particular favourite genres of metal I know in my school, and most of my friends think it's shit. Though I have one guy who listens to stuff I lend him :>

My mum doesn't seem to care, though that doesn't really concern me seeing as I'm only living here for a year or so more before uni :loco:

There's also, I think, 1 other noticeable metaller in my college year. He seems to hate me as my hair was grown out after/at the same time as he did it and I presume he thinks I'm some kind of poser/copy..cat or something ('specially after he caught me listening to soilwork. You can be quiet about that too.). So anyway, I'll just presume he doesn't like me for listening to metal. I also called him a poser for coming in one day in Opeth gear just to piss the bastard off :rolleyes: I'm a moron...