do your friends make fun of death metal?

Stormwatch said:
No, my many, many friends don't make fun of it at all. They just think I'm a fucking weirdo for listening to it. The wife just says "Turn that shite off will you, it's horrendous. At least put on Def Leppard or something."

thats because Def Leppard aren't really metal at all, just a clever marketing scheme by pop music corporations.

Satanstoenail said:
I probably wouldn't associate with anyone who listened to that shite TBH. Not all my friends like metal, but they don't listen to commercial disposable garbage either.

you're lucky....I don't have that option....my friend Scott likes Nickelback and Huey Lewis, my friend Rich likes "whatever's cool AKA KISS FM", Thomas likes MSI and nu-metal, and Bill is stuck in the 70s.

I hate my friends...

when my friends hear my band play
or they hear my iPod playing some Dismember or Suffocation or something they will be like

*death metal scream*kill kill kill...satan...kill...kill your family...kill yourself*death metal scream*

my parents told me to quit my band or get rid of my lead singer because it sucks

i say to these people, listen to the music and you can hear coherent words and the instrumentals are intricate and better than rap and pop rock

(though i will add that my dad listens to classic rock which i love almost as much as metal and i got him into metallica)

Some of my friends don't really mind it (like one or two) the rest are like "you'll go to hell if you listen to that music!!!!!" I just usually ignore them as they have a shitty taste in music anyways.

TylerTheNuke said:
Well, I'm from Iowa, and slipknots from iowa, so metal is big around here, and all my friends listen to it. So, they listen to death metal and are like "dude, thats really heavy." THen they go back and listen to slipknot or avenged sevenfold. One of my friends listens to death metal regularly, but otherwise, its all crap. Actually, everyone I care about likes slipknot except for me around here. The entire drumline for the marching band dressed up as slipknot for a halloween show. It was hilarious. The one with the nails coming out of her mask almost hurt someone. THe guitar virtuoso who is also a complete moron at our school loves slipknot and system of a down, as well as Steve Vai, metallica, queen, and other good bands. Even the local blues singer likes slipknot. Its crazy.

wait what?

slipknot, system of down = good bands? :erk:

One of or "friends" only listening to black metal, thinks he knows everything of it. and think he is everything... he must always say bad things about death metal... he is so irritating. must take d rugs on concerts and festivals to have a nice time and...he has linkin park in his closet, i think that says enough of him :p

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
I used to play Opeth Morningrise for my hippie friends and they would say "Dude, skip over that screaming shit to the really cool fretless bass part". I fucking hate hippies.

You have to admit that the bass part in 'advent' is a highlight. Raspy vocals sound very normal to me but I don't expect others to get it. I would have no idea that stuff I listen to is abnormal until others pointed it out.

Most of my friends take the piss out of my music taste - which is fine, because I hate their tastes equally!

To: SV - Yes, metal fans are nerds, by and large. What is a nerd? Someone with a hobby other than sport or cars? Jesus, there's nowt wrong with liking nerdy stuff - I love (older) comics, I (was) a big time pen and paper rpg player, I (still) love computer games (including just having converted a Neo-Geo cabinet to run my Xbox powered MAME machine) and I love Sci-Fi. So what? I'm a 31 yr old bloke with a wife and a kid (soon to be two). I have an important career, which is non-nerdy but I'm very proud of it, and yes - I'm proud to be a metal head. I don't deny it to anyone - because, in my opinion, with very few exceptions - all the best music ever created has been metal.

So there, scarf wearing poof.

Everyone thinks they listen to the best music/have the best taste.

only two of my friends don't listen to metal, so it's not really a problem. one of them mainly listens to rap so she hates what i listen to and the other listens to gay shit like the b-52s and doesn't care at all.

metal fans are nerds? what's funny is, i wear polo shirts, drive a modded civic, and pretty much listen to metal exclusively. you think metal fans get stares in public, you should see me at a zyklon concert. i do have a terrible temper, though.

Hanger 18 said:
Yeh, I think metalheads argue over music much more than anyone else.

Nah that's not true. There are many different music scenes for many different styles of music and they ALL have forums and they're ALL arguing over what's cool or in or whatever the fuck.