What has happened to Bodom?

Well, sure there is some technically tricks, but as a pianist, and a classical pianist, Children Of Bodm is a little bit a piece of cake. If I take Dream Theater by example, there's always keybaord doing weird tempo rythm and lead and alots of sund changing and... Children Of Bodom is almost Lead or rythm, it's been rare tat Janne play two things at the same times.

He's a good player, but now he's overrated and I know he can do better. I was expecting more on Warmen because I was thinking you could reach a great playing without (or with) just play fast (but some nice) solo, licks and riff.

Well, my thing in music now is more folk metal, like Finntroll, which is not at all technical and not at all fast, so :p

Fetzer said:
Well, sure there is some technically tricks, but as a pianist, and a classical pianist, Children Of Bodm is a little bit a piece of cake. If I take Dream Theater by example, there's always keybaord doing weird tempo rythm and lead and alots of sund changing and... Children Of Bodom is almost Lead or rythm, it's been rare tat Janne play two things at the same times.

He's a good player, but now he's overrated and I know he can do better. I was expecting more on Warmen because I was thinking you could reach a great playing without (or with) just play fast (but some nice) solo, licks and riff.

Well, my thing in music now is more folk metal, like Finntroll, which is not at all technical and not at all fast, so :p

sorry, i don't like Dream Theater so much.... :)
and, if not totally, I accept your thoughts about Janne..... well, if you think like that, I hope you'll have a better proof by him, and exactly as you would like... ;)

BucketBanger9000 said:
I have finally found the reason of Bodom's change.
*Excerp from Alexi Laiho interview with Metal-Rules*
I heard that before…that you improvise your lyrics to some degree.
"Well, it's not improvised but in the past there are songs that are complete fucking bullshit…just nothing. The vocals are just an instrument in there and that's it. I think I did half of the lyrics before the studio the last time and the rest in the studio. The reason I did that is because I was so fucking pissed off and depressed the whole month of July. That was when Alexander told me he was gonna bail and I just got so pissed, so for that one month I didn't give a fuck about anything and just partied. I was just sitting around my apartment drinking and the people around me changed. So I was just partying all the time and I wrote some lyrics. That was actually a good thing because I've never done that before."

That totally sucks ass and makes sense at the same time. For all we know alcohol could be the least of Alexi's problems (heroin?), I guess that there is no way to really know. It has been years since Alexander left, I hope that someday Alexi will get over it and write some insane riffs with Roope. If there are any Bodom fans that do not know about Sinergy (and how amazing Alexi and Roope are in the previous 2 Sinergy albums), they need to get their ass out to a record store asap. Maybe then they will understand why AYDY could have been better.

Bodom Beach Terror is a good song but not one of my favorites

I think Alexi has gotten over Alexander leaving. All this time i thought that AYDY was just the start of their change. But after reading so many posts, the chage happened in HCDR. IF HCDR was that good, then i think AYDY should have topped it cuz that's what they do in every album. They just get better. So AYDY was a bit of a downfall. I think AYDY could have been a lot better now. Maybe it could have been more techinal and Roope could have done a lot more solos. Who's to say? Maybe Alexander leaving could have been the reason but then maybe they are just starting to think of making their music in a whole differnt way.

Lady_Laiho said:
Bodom Beach Terror is a good song but not one of my favorites I think Alexi has gotten over Alexander leaving. All this time i thought that AYDY was just the start of their change. But after reading so many posts, the chage happened in HCDR. IF HCDR was that good, then i think AYDY should have topped it cuz that's what they do in every album. They just get better. So AYDY was a bit of a downfall. I think AYDY could have been a lot better now. Maybe it could have been more techinal and Roope could have done a lot more solos. Who's to say? Maybe Alexander leaving could have been the reason but then maybe they are just starting to think of making their music in a whole differnt way.

I agree with you 100%, AYDY could have been more technical, especially with Roope in the band. They did write "If You Want Peace..." which is really thrashy (and not hardcore) but they decided never to play it live :cry:

MasqueReaper said:
That totally sucks ass and makes sense at the same time. For all we know alcohol could be the least of Alexi's problems (heroin?), I guess that there is no way to really know. It has been years since Alexander left, I hope that someday Alexi will get over it and write some insane riffs with Roope. If there are any Bodom fans that do not know about Sinergy (and how amazing Alexi and Roope are in the previous 2 Sinergy albums), they need to get their ass out to a record store asap. Maybe then they will understand why AYDY could have been better.

Don't put heroin and Alexi together

┼Victim of the Night┼ said:
sorry, i don't like Dream Theater so much.... :)
and, if not totally, I accept your thoughts about Janne..... well, if you think like that, I hope you'll have a better proof by him, and exactly as you would like... ;)

I listened to some old Dream Theater after loving their "Train of Thought" album a lot and I didn't like it. At all. I can't understand why, either, because it contains a lot of the elements that I look for in metal. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Janne is good. But I miss his ambient stuff on the new album. :cry:

Authentic Metalhead said:
I listened to some old Dream Theater after loving their "Train of Thought" album a lot and I didn't like it. At all. I can't understand why, either, because it contains a lot of the elements that I look for in metal. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Janne is good. But I miss his ambient stuff on the new album. :cry:

Yes, I think to understand what you're saying... :cry:
I think, anyway, that Janne has a great skill as keyboardist, and in my opinion he is still using much technique when he plays.....as far as I'm concerned, I still like it, but for other people maybe it's just the musical style they've chosen now, that makes the difference..
Anyway, back on Dream Theater, I don't like them at all too... cuz they don't give me the emotions that I'm seekin' for...I don't know, perhaps it's like this and stop...
I do believe that Metal music gives us emotions, like all other types of music, but in a different manner.... those certain feelings get more straightly to me, cause sounds and contents are aggressive and all that stuff but more more more impulsive and emotive (emotive in the sense of istinctivity, the "human istinctivity", cuz men and women share their nature between reasoning and istinctivity): that's also why I like it.
Cause there are no intermediaries between "me" and what the musician is trying to express....

(I hope I've been clear, to avoid to be misunderstood...sorry but it's difficult to explain word for word my thoughts in a language which is not my "mother-tongue"....)

┼Victim of the Night┼ said:
Yes, I think to understand what you're saying... :cry:
I think, anyway, that Janne has a great skill as keyboardist, and in my opinion he is still using much technique when he plays.....as far as I'm concerned, I still like it, but for other people maybe it's just the musical style they've chosen now, that makes the difference..
Anyway, back on Dream Theater, I don't like them at all too... cuz they don't give me the emotions that I'm seekin' for...I don't know, perhaps it's like this and stop...
I do believe that Metal music gives us emotions, like all other types of music, but in a different manner.... those certain feelings get more straightly to me, cause sounds and contents are aggressive and all that stuff but more more more impulsive and emotive (emotive in the sense of istinctivity, the "human istinctivity", cuz men and women share their nature between reasoning and istinctivity): that's also why I like it.
Cause there are no intermediaries between "me" and what the musician is trying to express....

(I hope I've been clear, to avoid to be misunderstood...sorry but it's difficult to explain word for word my thoughts in a language which is not my "mother-tongue"....)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Authentic Metalhead said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you... :oops:
I'm glad you understand me.... :) and that you think more or less like me!
When, days ago, I told what I said here to a friend of mine (who doesn't listen to metal music), he said me "You are crazy.....puah!"...
Poor him: he doesn't know what he's losing.... ;)

Janne's keyboarding is awsome but on AYDY , it seems like he isn't doing as much of it as he did on previous albums.

Alexi is a dick when it comes to the keyboards nowadays, i said it before,why would Janne take a step down for an inferior musician? because janne is way fucking better than alexi in my opinion,Janne is unique and alexi is very repetative at times.

I hate that you said that about Alexi, but since you're saying it for a good reason, i won't say anything. Anyway, maybe Janne could have done a lot more solos and do even better shit on the keyboards making it more notice-able than guitars. He should have definetly done more stuff like Bastards of Bodom.

Really?! Where did you hear that? I thought they made their own music and didn't only do what Alexi told them to do. I thought they would put in their own stuff where ever it fits.

Lady_Laiho said:
Really?! Where did you hear that? I thought they made their own music and didn't only do what Alexi told them to do. I thought they would put in their own stuff where ever it fits.

Read the booket.

All music by Alexi Laiho.

That means something you know.

I think there's one exception for guitars and one for vocals.

I thought that that meant he just made all the music for the guitars and vocals. I didn't think it meant every single instrument.