What If...

This thread sounds familiar :erk:

Anyways, my opinion remains the same... I'd say hell yes, but only Orchid !

I don't really want them to change it much if at all, I just want better production & Mikaels much improved vocals. Vocally Mikael was at his best on GR.

If they were to re-record i think that Mayh would be a better album. The drums sound off at points, the bass is nonexistent, the mix is horrible. MAYH would be the better album to revisit i'd say. Plus, with Per in the band, epilogue could be 2x as badass.

IMO Orchid is a lot more fun to listen to than GR or SL, because of the music.
Don't get me wrong I still love GR and SL and all the other albums, but I just enjoy listening to Orchid, Mornigrise, and MAYH more than the others.

*shines nfu beacon into the sky for proper use of loltaste

Hell no Orchid is fine the way it is. Dimmu rerecorded Stormblast because it sounded like shit, and the original album had a ripped off video game theme song music for the intro.

A remastered Morningrise would be cool. I find the production in Orchid superior to that of Morningrise. As far as MAYH is concerned I feel like the production ads to the overall athmosphere of the album.

OpethFanEternal said:
What if Opeth went back with their current lineup and re-recorded one of their earlier albums, maybe like Orchid?
I think that Orchid is a great Opeth album, it's full of texture and atmosphere. So when I was listening to it earlier today, that idea popped in my head.
Now I know that Dimmu Borgir just went and re-recorded Stormblast (no i'm not a huge fan).

I'd like to see some suggestions or comments on whether or not you think it would turn out okay, worse, better, etc.

Maybe with Per around now we could get some synth strings, a beefed up version of Silhouette. Or with Axe behind the kit, maybe some more adventurous drumming?

Discuss...

You do realize that it's gona loose that atmosphere if they re-record it?

Stormblast 2005 was LAME. The original was beautiful with an enormous atmosphere and delicate production, and all they did on the rerecording was speed it up and made the guitars overpower everything else.

I think it just depends how the band does it. Basically it would be a different sounding version of Orchid so it's no different to playing it live, and none of you object to that do you? If they have the time, i'm all for it. Besides, I don't have to listen to it if I don't like it - Stormblast 2005 didn't ruin the original for me

a rofl nazi said:
dummy burger is terrible

Second that. What a stupid gimmick band.

Orchid (and MR, for that matter)....they are what they are. Iconic metal albums for that time. At the very least, they are the beginnings of what has become a metal dynasty.

I'm probably like 75% of the people on this forum, who heard a recent album of theirs, fell in love with it, and then worked my way back (in my case, it was BWP that slayed me). I found it incredibly interesting to hear the progression from one album to the next. It's like witnessing an evolution, it's fascinating shit. Re-recording would mar that effect.

Besides, Mikael hates the dual-harmony guitarzzzzz now. U think he wants to re-do that shizz....AW helll no son. o_O

hibernal_dream said:
Stormblast 2005 was LAME. The original was beautiful with an enormous atmosphere and delicate production, and all they did on the rerecording was speed it up and made the guitars overpower everything else.

I think it just depends how the band does it. Basically it would be a different sounding version of Orchid so it's no different to playing it live, and none of you object to that do you? If they have the time, i'm all for it. Besides, I don't have to listen to it if I don't like it - Stormblast 2005 didn't ruin the original for me

lol

Slayer101 said:
IMO Orchid is a lot more fun to listen to than GR or SL, because of the music.
Don't get me wrong I still love GR and SL and all the other albums, but I just enjoy listening to Orchid, Mornigrise, and MAYH more than the others.

I feel completely 100% the opposite to that.