What is Mikael Åkerfeldt's opinion on Metallica?

Strangely enough St: Anger is probably my second favorite album and I get a lot of criticism for this. But I've come to llike it because of the "raw" sound that it has and its also very different from the entitled "boogie-metal". St: Anger wasnt a dissapointment in my opinion, it was quite refreshing and also different from their previous releases.

I was pretty astonished when listening to St. Anger the first time. And I really liked it. It had some fresh ideas, some cool songs. But after a few listens I couldn't stand it anymore because of two things: a) the shitty "production" and b) the songs are way too long. I mean, it's not the actual running length of the song, it's the repetition. They repeat the same few riffs and song parts over and over and over and over and over again. It ruins the record. On Re-Load it already ruined "The memory remains" which would be a great song if it would be at least a third shorter.

So, if you are still able to enjoy St. Anger, that's good for you. I won't complain or criticize you. I think I'll give St. Anger another chance soon. It's been a while now, since I last heard it. Maybe I can enjoy it once again.

St. Anger had great ideas that were fucked up. I think the radio edit of the song Some Kind Of Monster showed the potential of the album since it was cut in half and the production was infinitely better, making it not a bad song at all. If songs like The Unnamed Feeling, Frantic, All Within My Hands and St. Anger would have had the same treatement, they would've been awesome songs.

I was pretty astonished when listening to St. Anger the first time. And I really liked it. It had some fresh ideas, some cool songs. But after a few listens I couldn't stand it anymore because of two things: a) the shitty "production" and b) the songs are way too long. I mean, it's not the actual running length of the song, it's the repetition. They repeat the same few riffs and song parts over and over and over and over and over again. It ruins the record. On Re-Load it already ruined "The memory remains" which would be a great song if it would be at least a third shorter.

So, if you are still able to enjoy St. Anger, that's good for you. I won't complain or criticize you. I think I'll give St. Anger another chance soon. It's been a while now, since I last heard it. Maybe I can enjoy it once again.

hm funny, now that you mentioned it my long-time metallica obsessed friend (that was before I introduced him to opeth of course :D) said the exact same thing and I have definately noticed this on some of the songs and I think that makes listening to the record quite tedious. St: Anger is still a decent record by metallica standards I think but like I said, I am very selective when it comes to metallica records.

But I'll be damned if it's not going to be even more tedious to listen to St: Anger now, hah.

On a live video I saw on youtube Mike was doing "guess that riff" and he started playing the main riff of "To Live is To Die", after everyone screamed the name of the song he said "without that song there would be no Opeth today".

/thread

St. Anger had great ideas that were fucked up. I think the radio edit of the song Some Kind Of Monster showed the potential of the album since it was cut in half and the production was infinitely better, making it not a bad song at all. If songs like The Unnamed Feeling, Frantic, All Within My Hands and St. Anger would have had the same treatement, they would've been awesome songs.
I think The Unnamed Feeling has the potential to become a real classic, even by old Metallica standards, should it be reproduces, remixed and maybe even rerecorded. The melodic chorus is incredible imo.

I still love Metallica, they're just a class band. I think a lot of people go off them because they are a lot of people's introduction to metal so they get overplayed, but thankfully I didn't get that problem (and I didn't get that problem with my gateway bands either, thank god!). I still think Battery is probably the best thrash song ever made.

I still love Metallica, they're just a class band. I think a lot of people go off them because they are a lot of people's introduction to metal so they get overplayed, but thankfully I didn't get that problem (and I didn't get that problem with my gateway bands either, thank god!). I still think Battery is probably the best thrash song ever made.

Couldn't agree with you more!
Thats excactly the case with me.. I always saw Metallica as one of the most 'heavy' bands.. But then I discovered death metal etc..
Now they're just a bunch of pussy's..

I honestly can't understand why people don't like the black album that much, apart from it being the album that made them masively mainstream. I think it is an amazing album honestly. Apart from Nothing else matters, I can't think of a song that is not heavy! The guitars sound very raw to me and James' voice is fucking awesome. I also like the overall sound of the album. I think most metal fans from the pre-black album era hate that album because their sisters started to like the band that 'belonged' to them, I can understand the feeling. I don't know. I am a big Metallica fan, up to the black album inclusive, I don't like load and reload and I really hate St. Anger and the sound of Lars banging his mom's pots and pans.

Now for Opeth playing with them. I don't think so because Opeth are way, way, WAAAAY better than Metallica and they would make them look like shit!

I honestly can't understand why people don't like the black album that much, apart from it being the album that made them masively mainstream. I think it is an amazing album honestly. Apart from Nothing else matters, I can't think of a song that is not heavy! The guitars sound very raw to me and James' voice is fucking awesome. I also like the overall sound of the album. I think most metal fans from the pre-black album era hate that album because their sisters started to like the band that 'belonged' to them, I can understand the feeling. I don't know. I am a big Metallica fan, up to the black album inclusive, I don't like load and reload and I really hate St. Anger and the sound of Lars banging his mom's pots and pans.

I really liked "The Black Album" when it was released. I just got bored of the music fairly quickly. It's like the opposite of Opeth. With Opeth I usually like a new album right away, but it grows on me with every listen and then I really start to love it and keep coming back to listen to it after years and years.

I still listen to the old Metallica albums from time to time, but every time I turn on "The Black Album"... I don't know... I kinda get bored and turn on something else. I'm not saying it's a bad album though, just not as interesting as the old ones.

As for disliking others starting to like a band that 'belonged' to me. I can't relate to that. I've actually tried to get many people I know to keep an open mind and listen to some of the music I like, hoping that they'll enjoy it.

I actually have a little story from those days... There were a couple of girls that from time to time used to ride in my car back then, around the time "The Black Album" was released. I had made a mixed tape to play in the car. One of the songs was Metallica's "One". Every time that song came on, they were both like "Turn off that awful music! It sounds horrible.". After a couple of weeks, when "The Black Album" was released, and all their friends had started to listen to it, they asked me to make a copy of it for them on tape.

I was happy to do so, and I also added "One" to the tape, since there was room for a few extra songs. A few days after that, they came to me and said:
"Damn! The album is great and the song One is really really good!".
So I said "Umm... That's the song you've kept telling me you hated and asked me to turn off every time you heard it in the car."
Both of them said "No! That's not the song. One is really good. It was some other song we didn't like."
I played the mixed tape again and they were both like "No. That's not the song we hated. This is a good song."

That part of it annoyed the crap out of me. Not that they started to like Metallica. That was fine by me. It's the part that they couldn't accept that they were so close minded and used to hate them before when I was trying to show them that they're actually good. And that what actually made them start listening to Metallica was pure peer pressure from their female friends at school that had started to listen to them.