What is Mikael Åkerfeldt's opinion on Metallica?

I used to listen to a lot of Metallica until the release of the Black album, they lost me there when I saw Enter Sandman on TV! What a disapointing pop/rock platitude, I never got back to them. I haven't even heard what they did since then... Is it any good? Did they try to go back to the pre Black album era??

no its terrible, its far worse, iwouldnt even bother with it, you'll just cry

and for the record im not being sarcastic

Mike also said in an interview that he likes Megadeth.

Just thought it was relevant, since Megadeth grew from Metallica. And Peace Sells and Rust in Peace are classic albums, on par with Metallica's best.

Both bands have become pretty shitty over the years, however.

I have a deep seeded need to hate Metallica.

They fucked with my Napster.

You can hate on the Black Album all you want but you can't deny that their performance at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert was amazing.

It actually got me into metal when I was a youngen

Napster would of got shut down anyway, Metallica just opened peoples eyes that stealing peoples art and music is wrong. Napster was contributing to the death of the music industry, so fuck Napster. If you hate Metallica because of the Napster incident, go suck some cow balls.

You can hate on the Black Album all you want but you can't deny that their performance at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert was amazing.

got a link to this performance`? I'm a big queen fan and would like to see it

^^It's not like since Napster was closed there are no other ways of finding anything on the web. They just took a shot at the most popular P2P site at the time and shut it down. But it didn't change anything. People are still downloading music/movies/software on the web. Who here has no illegal software on his computer?? I bet you all paid for your Windows and Office copies... It's all the same and it's too easy so people won't stop.

Back on topic now...

I'm not denying anything except that the Black album sucks, big time. I know they can perform well and I know they can do good music, they already did in the past, they just have.. changed.

It'll be greate to see Opeth and Metallica on one stage (and it'll be greatter just to see one of them giving concert on Baikal)
I think Metallica is good during their career, they have changed sound, and so. If they haven't been done so they could stuck in 1983, and could be lost among middling bands:)

I saw Metallica live once. It was at the Toledo Sports Arena on November 15, 1988. I believe it was their first headlining gig in the U.S. on a major tour. It was the Justice album tour, Queensryche opened up for them. It was my first rock concert, and still the best I have ever seen. They came out for four encore performances, Unbelieveable! I had been a fan since 1984 when Lightning first came out.

Then they came out with the Black Album, which I never really liked as much as their previous stuff. I've never seen them live since, and haven't bought any of their albums. Heard some songs from the Load albums on the radio and laughed. The last I ever even heard anything from them was "Some Kind of Monster" movie on VH1. Compare this to the classic documentary "Cliff 'em All." What a joke...

I'll never buy their stupid crap again. Has nothing to do with Napster, cutting their hair, or anything else besides THEIR MUSIC SUCKS!!

About Mikael and Metallica, at the Prog Nation tour in Detroit, he was doing "guess this riff." He played "To live is to die" and commented that without that song Opeth would not exist. So it seems he is at least a fan of their eighties stuff.

got a link to this performance`? I'm a big queen fan and would like to see it

Check youtube (I'm at work and there's blockage).
They played Enter Sandman, Sad But True and Nothing Else Matters.
ES and NEM are on youtube last time I checked but couldn't find SBT, which is a shame coz it slays.

Also, Gunners' Paradise City performance is also ace. It's just a shame that the DVD they released only contains the Queen + Guest performances. For the others you'll need to find the VHS from the good ol' days.