What was it ??

Pharaoh

Oct 16, 2002
LITITZ, PA
Visit site
I am very curious to hear what pulled you into Symphony X the first time you heard them. It seems like the music does not "grow on you". You hear this band and you're taken in. You become a forevermore fan. For me and my wife, it was.....1) The transitions and 2) The emotion in Romeo's playing. He feels every note and 3) The collective talents of all the guys, which was confirmed after seeing them live. So, essentially, it was an immediate respect on our part. What percentage of fans do you think are musicians at this time?? I'm anxious to hear replies!! Thanks.

I rarely ever just buy a cd without sampling it first, but I did for Symphony X. I don't have any clue why, but I had a feeling I would like them, maybe its because I thought their name was cool :p I ordered V, and the first things that pulled me in were Romeo's amazing solos, great vocal melodies, and the fact that the band worked so well together on every song.

OK, OK, I gotta admit that, I wasn't impressed by Symphony X music, at the very first time I've heard one of their recordings, which was "Twilight in Olympus".

But...

When "Lady of the Snow" started to play on my MD player, I just... just... just started to jump, and jump, and jump all around... 'cause I noticed the perfection of the music... the awesomeness of the vocal, the perfection of the guitar riffs, and the bass, and the brightness of the keyboards, and the drums too!

That just got me mad!!

Then, I started to listen the MiniDisc all over from the beginning and, then, there was no return... Symphony X bit me like a f*ckin' poison snake!!

And, ever since that moment... I never stopped loving just the whole music that Symphony X does.

I felt the need to buy and to have all of their CDs, even the debut-CD, and even more, the MJR's solo CD, the infamous Dark Chapter.

I always say that listening to Symphony X, it's not just enjoying good music, is to live a journey through "spherical" music, being transported to a whole new dimension, and to be petrified of such great talent and precision in music!!

Symphony X lives forever in my heart, and in my ears!!!!! hahahha!! :)

A friend of mine recommended them to me, though he had only heard "in the dragons den" so he sent me the song. I thought it was pretty cool, so then I decided to download some more of their stuff on my own. At first I had mixed feelings, I really liked some of their stuff, and some of it I sorta found kinda boring. Overtime the songs I didnt like very much began to grow on me, and the ones i already liked I began to like even more. They eventually became my favorite band. Symphony X to me is like a fine wine, it gets better with age. The things that sucked me in were the great vocals, the wonderful use of keyboard in their songs, and romeo's great guitar style. And their songs just have so much emotion, and suck you in.

Originally posted by Skull_Punk
The heaviness and the skill.

Me too, plus the sound of Romeo's guitar and the drumming of Mr Rullo. Also the perfectly tuned vocals of Sir Russel and the atmosphere creating talents of Mr Pinella/Pinnela's [sorry, I always get his name wrong] keyboards. And don't forget the wizardry of Mr LePond's bass :) . Also the music is so.....much like a story! It pulls you in and immerses you in their own mighty world- Definately candy to thy ears.

I saw a advertisement on a flyer that was handed to me after a Dream Theater concert which described the music of Symphony X with their newest album TDWOT (at that time). So when I got in a recordstore I listened to TDWOT and the vocals and guitar grapped me at the very instant...and when I heard the choir arrangements I was sold.
This record was mine :D
Since then I started to buy the other albums of Symphony X (I also have their debut, but I never listen it).
I can remember what a hard time it was to wait for Twilight in Olympus which was postponed for a couple of times due to problems with Pinella (he cut his hand so I heard) and stuff like that...
Oh and I really love a long song so with TDWOT and this new Odyssey I'm being served at my needs :)

It was around '98 I believe [I could be wrong] and I was still studying to be a history teacher. In my spare free time I was working in a record shop. That was cool because I had the freedom to set up the metal compartment of the store. I could just give them a list and they would get it for the store.

Anyway, one of my customers was a young guy maybe 17 or so who was very much into prog-metal. He recommended Symphony X to me and I must admit I never heard of them. By coincidence we received a sampler from Inside Out with some of their bands. The Symphony X track was "The Accolade".

Well what can I tell you? I was impressed with Russell's voice and the music in general. :) I decided to order TDWOT and was completely blown away by it!! :headbang: What's more, I started to play some songs in the shop during moments when metal freaks were present. And on the busy hours. When I did that most of the time we sold one or two Symphony X albums :)

Thanks! These replies are great and interesting to read. A comment about Hawk's story.....In '98, I'm sure there were very few music stores in the States where you could find SymX at all. Many music stores here still do not have a "Progressive" section OR SymX. But it appears that this may change now that InsideOut has the band and have released their previous CDs. I know there are more and more teens here who are finding prog-metal and the talent within this musical genre. My teen years were spent at Black Sabbath's, Uriah Heep's, etc.'s first US shows. This is where I'm coming from!:eek:

Originally posted by Pharoah
Thanks! These replies are great and interesting to read. A comment about Hawk's story.....In '98, I'm sure there were very few music stores in the States where you could find SymX at all. Many music stores here still do not have a "Progressive" section OR SymX. But it appears that this may change now that InsideOut has the band and have released their previous CDs. I know there are more and more teens here who are finding prog-metal and the talent within this musical genre. My teen years were spent at Black Sabbath's, Uriah Heep's, etc.'s first US shows. This is where I'm coming from!:eek:

Great to hear Pharoah

Actually I started with Led Zep II back in '73 or so. Then via Queen and Priest, UFO, Scorpions, Riot and Yesterday & Today I got into the METAL :) This was in 1976 :D

I hope the situation in the US will get better now for Symphony X. But until I was tipped of, I had never heard of them, and thus not seen them in any record shop I've been to during those day's.

I am glad to say that has changed now. I have high expectations of the new album. I mean in term of what it will do for the band. Maybe not in the US yet [although I keep hoping] but certainly for Europe. I think we in Europe may expect them to see them on the major festival like Wacken or Bang Your Head.

I do believe in the long run they will make it. In about 3 or 4 year they will be a lot bigger than now. So you can say I am optimistic :)

Originally posted by Hawk

I do believe in the long run they will make it. In about 3 or 4 year they will be a lot bigger than now. So you can say I am optimistic :)

This will only happen in th US if they are marketed better and get some time on the radio. Porcupine Tree is starting to get some exposure in NJ so hopefully Symphony X will also. It is still nice to go see them in a small venue with around 200 other people and if they get real big those days will be over.

I first heard TDWoT and really got hooked on the guitar and vocals at first but now it's the whole package.