What would be your all time favorite Electronic albums?

in_my_time_of_disease

Whipping Post
May 29, 2006
Melbourne
I recently compiled a list for a friend who wanted an introduction to Electronica. Which got me building a list of 15 albums which I thought I'd post to see some other people's lists as well as getting some suggestions/plugging some of mine.

1- Venetian Snares- Rossz Csillag Alatt Született- Pretty much listened to this on a very regular basis since it as released. The best VS and atm my favorite electronic album.

2- Ulver- Perdition City- All Ulver destroys, and they are arguably my favorite band, so Perdition City as my 2nd favorite goes without saying.

3- Portishead- Dummy- My favorite of theirs and an album that has really stood the test of time as I've been spinning it at least once a month for years and years.

4- Massive Attack- Mezzanine- IMO the best MA, so much winning, such a high bar was set for 100th window which I really like but this is their masterpiece iyam. Huge replay value with a great range of influence.

5- Aphex Twin- Richard D James- My favorite of AFX, who were one of the first electronic bands I really enjoyed. Very nostalgic album for me.

6- Akira Yamaoka- Silent Hill 3- 2 and 3 are great ost's but this is my favorite.

7- Autechure- Amber- Their best, such a raper, which reminds me I still have to spin their new one.

8- Air- Moon Safari- Such a classic, very solid album which has really stood the test of time.

9- Boards of Canada- Music has the right to children- For a while I didn't get the hard on for this release, but over time I began to love the first few BOC albums, especially this one, which gets regular spins.

10- The Future Sound of London- Lifeforms- I was tempted to put Dead Cities as well, but I settled for Lifeforms which in my opinion is one of the finest two disc albums ever made as well as being a classic Electronic album.

11- Ulver- Metamorphosis EP- Ulver destroy, enough said.

12- Leftfield- Leftism- Another major nostalgic entry, an absolute classic which is still holds up very well today.

13- The Orb- The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld- Great ambient house, and probably their best.

14- Massive Attack- Protection- Had to put this as well. I like it more than Blue Lines but not as much as Mezzanine. While it's not as good it always has had a huge replay value for me. Always really relaxes me.

15- Coil- Loves Secret Domain- There were heaps I wanted to include around this point of the list, but I decided to put my favorite Coil album. They have a fair bit of great stuff, but this album always challenges and engages me to the point I spin it much more than the rest of their material.

I basically don't know anything about electronic music, so I really don't know that much electronic albums except Ulver's, if you don't count soundtracks to video games.

So, basically.

1. Perdition City byUlver
2. Everything else electronic by Ulver
3. All Silent Hill OST's.

In no real order:

Drukqs by Aphex Twin
Formless by Gridlock
100th Window by Massive Attack
A Collection Of Short Stories - Reload
Ganglion by Saltillo

I recently compiled a list for a friend who wanted an introduction to Electronica. Which got me building a list of 15 albums which I thought I'd post to see some other people's lists as well as getting some suggestions/plugging some of mine.

1- Venetian Snares- Rossz Csillag Alatt Született- Pretty much listened to this on a very regular basis since it as released. The best VS and atm my favorite electronic album.

2- Ulver- Perdition City- All Ulver destroys, and they are arguably my favorite band, so Perdition City as my 2nd favorite goes without saying.

3- Portishead- Dummy- My favorite of theirs and an album that has really stood the test of time as I've been spinning it at least once a month for years and years.

4- Massive Attack- Mezzanine- IMO the best MA, so much winning, such a high bar was set for 100th window which I really like but this is their masterpiece iyam. Huge replay value with a great range of influence.

5- Aphex Twin- Richard D James- My favorite of AFX, who were one of the first electronic bands I really enjoyed. Very nostalgic album for me.

6- Akira Yamaoka- Silent Hill 3- 2 and 3 are great ost's but this is my favorite.

7- Autechure- Amber- Their best, such a raper, which reminds me I still have to spin their new one.

8- Air- Moon Safari- Such a classic, very solid album which has really stood the test of time.

9- Boards of Canada- Music has the right to children- For a while I didn't get the hard on for this release, but over time I began to love the first few BOC albums, especially this one, which gets regular spins.

10- The Future Sound of London- Lifeforms- I was tempted to put Dead Cities as well, but I settled for Lifeforms which in my opinion is one of the finest two disc albums ever made as well as being a classic Electronic album.

11- Ulver- Metamorphosis EP- Ulver destroy, enough said.

12- Leftfield- Leftism- Another major nostalgic entry, an absolute classic which is still holds up very well today.

13- The Orb- The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld- Great ambient house, and probably their best.

14- Massive Attack- Protection- Had to put this as well. I like it more than Blue Lines but not as much as Mezzanine. While it's not as good it always has had a huge replay value for me. Always really relaxes me.

15- Coil- Loves Secret Domain- There were heaps I wanted to include around this point of the list, but I decided to put my favorite Coil album. They have a fair bit of great stuff, but this album always challenges and engages me to the point I spin it much more than the rest of their material.

Shit list.

In no real order:

Drukqs by Aphex Twin
Formless by Gridlock
100th Window by Massive Attack
A Collection Of Short Stories - Reload
Ganglion by Saltillo
I know all those except Ganglion by Saltillo. Speaking of Gridlock, their album Trance is awesome. And also speaking of Reload, their other name Global Communication, their album 76:14 is incredible, that would have to be between 15 and 20 hands down.

Shit list.
lol I know you beat off over the majority of that SP3phen.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works (both volumes)
Vangelis - Blade Runner soundtrack
Air - Moon Safari
Brian Eno/Robert Fripp - The Equatorial Stars
Brian Eno - Apollo
Lustmord - all albums (If you haven't heard any of his stuff, do yourself a favor and find some NOW. He IS dark ambient.)
Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void, the Immersion series (perfect for sleeping), Structures from Silence, Australia: Sounds of the Earth, pretty much all his stuff (and there is a lot!)
Robert Rich/Alio Die - Fissures
Alio Die/Matthias Grassow - Expanding Horizon
Steve Moore - The Henge
Wendy Carlos - A Clockwork Orange, Switched-On Bach series
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene, Magnetic Fields
Autechre - Incunabula, Amber
Empirion - Advanced Technology
Dust Brothers - Fight Club soundtrack

Probably tons more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I would have chosen Rhythm And Stealth over leftism, not heard FSoL .. Barely bothered with Massive Attack (bad i know) and was listening to coil a few years ago.. But forgotten pretty much all about their music.

Shit list trenzt.

I don't listen to electronic music so often and I haven't listened to this album so much, but everytime I put it on it amazes me. I have a few of their other albums, but this one takes the cake. I would agree that it is #1.

I would have chosen Rhythm And Stealth over leftism, not heard FSoL .. Barely bothered with Massive Attack (bad i know) and was listening to coil a few years ago.. But forgotten pretty much all about their music.

Shit list trenzt.
Fark u Kunt. No fsol? Hmm, lifeforms my friend, lifeforms! Get their album Dead Cities and ISDN as well. MA destroy, they need to hurry up on that new one. It's apparently not coming till early 09. Though good news is they have so much new material it's enough for two new albums. Coil isn't as necessary as those two, still a pretty good band. Rhythm And Stealth over Leftism as well? I love Rhythm And Stealth, but I'd take Leftism tbh, though I am a lot more familiar with Leftism.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works (both volumes)
Vangelis - Blade Runner soundtrack
Air - Moon Safari
Brian Eno/Robert Fripp - The Equatorial Stars
Brian Eno - Apollo
Lustmord - all albums (If you haven't heard any of his stuff, do yourself a favor and find some NOW. He IS dark ambient.)
Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void, the Immersion series (perfect for sleeping), Structures from Silence, Australia: Sounds of the Earth, pretty much all his stuff (and there is a lot!)
Robert Rich/Alio Die - Fissures
Alio Die/Matthias Grassow - Expanding Horizon
Steve Moore - The Henge
Wendy Carlos - A Clockwork Orange, Switched-On Bach series
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene, Magnetic Fields
Autechre - Incunabula, Amber
Empirion - Advanced Technology
Dust Brothers - Fight Club soundtrack

Probably tons more that I can't think of off the top of my head.
^Nice additions, I'm familiar with it all except Steve Moore - The Henge. Good call on Steve Roach- Structures from Silence, such a great album. Vangelis, Eno and Jean would all have material in my top 30.

I don't listen to electronic music so often and I haven't listened to this album so much, but everytime I put it on it amazes me. I have a few of their other albums, but this one takes the cake. I would agree that it is #1.
A few of my mates who aren't into Electronica seem to love it. I've played it to people who are really METUL for example and it gradually seems to win them over.

^Nice additions, I'm familiar with it all except Steve Moore - The Henge. Good call on Steve Roach- Structures from Silence, such a great album. Vangelis, Eno and Jean would all have material in my top 30.

Steve Moore is in the band Earth. He is a multi-instrumentalist but The Henge is mostly electronica. I would highly recommend it.

I should also add Tangerine Dream to my list. Pretty much all their stuff through the early 80's but their Virgin material is the best.

Massive Attack - 100th Window (I don't quite consider Mezzanine an electronic album)
Most Coil and later Ulver albums

Well... that's about it. I guess I don't listen to as much electronic as you guys. I'm pretty sure I'm missing one...

I only listen to a handful of bands that I'm even sure count as electronic:

Sleepless - Winds Blow Higher
Morcheeba - Big Calm
Air - The Virgin Suicides OST
Crash OST

I've always found Kraftwerk a bit boring.

As far as Boards of Canada, I would think your average Opeth fan will really prefer Geogaddi, with its terrificly dense and layered compositions.

Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum

Elektro Kardiogramm
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovCK97hFiSI&feature=related[/ame]

Radioactivity
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXD6Gtinvbc&feature=related[/ame]

Pocket Calculator
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eI3gCWL-sY&feature=related[/ame]

Vitamin

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the selected Ambient Works by Aphex Twin. Those albums have always been a big company for me when i have an urge for some seriously relaxing and trippy music.

i like a fair bit of electronic music, particularly if it's melancholic or drenched in emotion.

Asche & Spencer - "Stay" and "Monster's Ball" OSTs
Boards of Canada
Ulrich Schnauss
Eivind Aarset (really awesome Norwegian jazz musician, he collaborates with other artists and creates some amazing soundscapes, check out the albums "Electonique Noire" and "Light Extracts")
Silent Hill 2 soundtrack