What??

I was pretty surprised and disappointed when I read the news, but Im trying to look on the brights side now. The Anathema I love is going to be back with Antimatter. AFDTE didnt really impress me, I prefer the older shit, its cooler and its what I really dig. I respect AFDTE and I like it, but Antimatter seems like its going to be cool stuff.

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Well, each release has been less M_E_T_A_L and heading in more of a 'rock' direction, they aren't the atmospheric doom they used to be. Their stuff is now more likely to get air time than anything on TSE, to be sure ;)
Well, M_E_T_A_L is more pop than rock, so there.
;)

Any suggestions who could "replace"(join) Anathema now that Danny left the band?

I don't really anyone, but i suppose it's not going to be a Cradle of Filth Member, :D .

Greetings,

Morpheus

"And so you had the last Laugh, ha, ha , ho!"

I can't envision Anathema attempting to carry on after Danny's departure, and if they do, the band's sound will suffer greatly. As much as I hate to say this, it wouldn' be a bad idea to call it a day. It's been an impresive career so far and it's better to quit before outstaying your welcome. Look at bands like Faith No More, At The Gates or Emperor, they retired more or less before sucking and are now legends, unlike other bands like Iron Maiden that have been tainting the memory for ages.

On the other hand, I don' understand Danny's comments about making a return to the roots with Antimatter. So Dunc leaves Anathema being very depressed because of writing songs for Alternative 4 and now lets Danny into the band who is precisely attempting to turn Antimatter into Anathema circa '98?. C'mon gimme a break....

And what's the point of "making a comeback" of sorts with Antimatter anyway?. These guys never stay with the same sound for long so I think the retro stuff is pretty useless.

Snif

But it's not a big suprise Danny left. I read a interview before, (when AFDTE was released) where the journalist mentioned the strange atmosphere between Danny and Vincent, as they were a few problems...

My opinion Danny doesn't want to be famous, and Vincent does. Why would he leave to play in Antimatter? If it was Cradle then it was quiet obvious it was for the money...
Or maybe he wants to play metal again, and his brother not?

Hopefully Anathema will be still continuing, (they also did when the other Cavanagh left in the early days (after Serenades?))
And perhaps Vinnie can go on tour with Antimatter and sing a few songs for us.

Good Luck Danny

I heard the rumors that Danny and Vincent had differences, too, in an interview after AFDTE. But, after I saw them live, I could'd believe it, because they all seemed to really have fun together.
I'm wondering why NOW so many of you say that they didn't really like AFDTE. It is a good album after all, I think. My favourites are "Judgement" and "Eternity" by the way. :)

I hope some good music will come out of both "camps" now. John is a pretty good songwriter I think. But I always thought that it was Danny's guitarplay (this feedback-stuff) that made Anathema special. We'll see. Not sure what to think.

Downloaded Psalms from Antimatter's website, and got pretty disappointed. Sure, you can't tell how that song fits in the entire album, in between other (different kinds of-?) songs, but that particular one didn't appeal much to me. I hope there'll be magic in the music once Danny starts working with them.

Originally posted by Mariner
Hopefully Anathema will be still continuing, (they also did when the other Cavanagh left in the early days (after Serenades?))

Jamie was his name!

Originally posted by Mariner

And perhaps Vinnie can go on tour with Antimatter and sing a few songs for us.

As far as I kow there will be no Antimatter tour because Duncan (or/and Mick) doesn´t like touring. And also I think that Danny is not a fan of touring around either...

Originally posted by Unicorn
I hope some good music will come out of both "camps" now. John is a pretty good songwriter I think. But I always thought that it was Danny's guitarplay (this feedback-stuff) that made Anathema special. We'll see. Not sure what to think.
Exactly what I'm thinking.