whats the difference between thrash and speed metal?

Battalions of Fear, Walls of Jericho, Helstar, Savage Grace, etc are not thrash. Neither are the earlier speed metal pioneers like Motorhead and Venom. Don't get me wrong theres tons of speed/thrash bands, but in no way is speed metal the proper term for thrash.

I really like what i've heard from Agent Steel so far. They're pretty fuckin' thrashy too.

edit:
those "anus guys" must be fuckin' morons, because regular thrash is indeed punk influenced, but how can it be rooted in crossover? That doesn't even make any sense. Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Sepultura, Exodus, etc where regular thrash. Not DRI, suicidal fucking tendencies or any other crossover thrash band.

:kickass:
Code:
=Iron Wizard;10994086]In the mid 70s, heavy metal started getting very fast.
Bands to play faster such as Judas Priest and Motorhead were the first of these fast heavy metal bands.
[B]They invented what would be known as speed metal.[/B]

Agree,,

Code:
Listen to a song like Exciter by Judas Priest

That song popped into my head as soon as you said "In the mid 70's"

:headbang:

Even with bands like Agent Steel it can be ambiguous. A riff can be speed metal when they play it, but Whiplash does it and now it's thrash, or Mantas/Death does it in an early demo and now it's early death metal. Very few speed metal albums are wholly constructed out of speed metal songs. I almost think of "speed metal" as a type of song more than a type of metal sub-genre; most metal bands can find themselves playing some kind of speed metal at some point.

Exciter is quite possibly the purest example of speed metal. For a more recent band, check out Ranger.

Without reading too many of the replies, I always described it this way.

Thrash metal is based on aggression, blistering solos, speed (or uptempo, yet not exactly carpet-of-double-bass speed) and extremely riff heavy.

Speed metal is fast, has a few main riffs, and is generally fairly melodic with a working flow to it.

Of course, this is a supremely broad and general description of both, not to be taken too literally. But this is how I've always described, in short, the difference between the two to non-metalheads.

Metallica's Master of Puppets is Speed Metal?

...... Okay, well to me the best way to distinguish between Speed Metal and Thrash Metal is to listen to Agent Steel's Skeptics Apocalypse and then listen to Exodus' Bonded By Blood, if you can't tell the difference after that you're retarded.

Essentially, Speed Metal is Heavy Metal with a huge emphasis on playing fast, Thrash Metal thrashes around and often chugs.

Teutonic may have been incorrect to say, what I mean is the early German sound so not so much Kreator as a whole but more just Endless Pain, the Thrash style that influenced Black Metal has tons of non-chug riffs.

But yeah, Speed Metal is pretty ambiguous, some stuff that used to get called Power Metal in the 80's started getting called Speed Metal in the 90's when Power Metal started to mean something else.

It's a giant clusterfuck.