When the oceans rise - General Chat Thread

I've loved that Iced Earth line, it's a special band that can have a positive message alongside ditching religion. Iced Earth may be faithless ("My Own Savior") yet are still patriotic ("Ghost of Freedom", "1776"), self-confident and have a strong sense of duty ("Stand Alone"), a rare combination for an American band let me tell you m/ I don't think they're neo-cons, just limited-government types.

Ahh well that happened because of 9/11, after Matt left the band went KAPUTT. The Glorious Burden is a horrible album, not only because of it's horrible music, but also because of it's blind patriotism. The last great IE album was Horror Show and even many people hate it. I heard the new IE single and well, Matt should've stayed in Pyramaze, it's much (emphasis on much) better than IE.

Year of the Phoenix! :headbang: :worship:

Ahh well that happened because of 9/11, after Matt left the band went KAPUTT. The Glorious Burden is a horrible album, not only because of it's horrible music, but also because of it's blind patriotism. The last great IE album was Horror Show and even many people hate it. I heard the new IE single and well, Matt should've stayed in Pyramaze, it's much (emphasis on much) better than IE.

Year of the Phoenix! :headbang: :worship:

I don't dislike American patriotism outright; I think the Founding Fathers changed our world for the better (bar its original ignorance to African-Americans, and of course the Second Amendment). American foreign policy on the other hand, especially post 9-11, has given American patriotism a bad taste. Back on I.E., I really liked the "experimental" attitude on Horror Show, and Steve DiGiorgio and Richard Christy played a big part in that ("Dracula" was the song that had me HOOKED on fretless bass). I really tried to like this Glorious Burden, but it sucks big time...boring riffs and vocal lines put me to sleep. Framing Armageddon showed that Jon was starting to accomodate Tim Owen's style a bit better, but the degradation of furious 200bpm riffery to mid-paced chug-a-chug on too many tracks REALLY gets on my nerves. I'm not expecting a world-class album now that Matt's back, but it will certainly make their live show *much* (emphasis added) better - supposedly they're coming to Australia this year.

^I remember liking some music off of the last Iced Earth EP but wasn't into the vocals. I guess it'll take time. :p

Was that Overture of the Wicked? Tim Owens did very well on his own track "Ten Thousand Strong" (but too Blind-Guardian-esque with the layered vocals), but really did butcher the Something Wicked trilogy.

I don't know why I.E. wants to keep re-doing old songs...Kamelot snatched one of the best power metal singers, Roy Khan in 1998, but they expressly refused to re-record the old songs. Sure the old songs of Kamelot can't compare with I.E.'s classic Night of the Stormrider, but there was still a temptation to make a buck out of it.

I don't dislike American patriotism outright; I think the Founding Fathers changed our world for the better (bar its original ignorance to African-Americans, and of course the Second Amendment). American foreign policy on the other hand, especially post 9-11, has given American patriotism a bad taste. Back on I.E., I really liked the "experimental" attitude on Horror Show, and Steve DiGiorgio and Richard Christy played a big part in that ("Dracula" was the song that had me HOOKED on fretless bass). I really tried to like this Glorious Burden, but it sucks big time...boring riffs and vocal lines put me to sleep. Framing Armageddon showed that Jon was starting to accomodate Tim Owen's style a bit better, but the degradation of furious 200bpm riffery to mid-paced chug-a-chug on too many tracks REALLY gets on my nerves. I'm not expecting a world-class album now that Matt's back, but it will certainly make their live show *much* (emphasis added) better - supposedly they're coming to Australia this year.

Ah well I do dislike (excessive) US patriotism :rolleyes: .

Yeah, Horror Show is great, and yes especially Dracula. I hear it these days and it still gives me the chills :Spin: .

@ Derek: King is far from being Power Metal :rolleyes: . He only has high-pitched vocals, but that doesn't make him Power.

All patriotism and nationalism is exactly the same. It's been a negative force since Napoleonic wars, and it will continue to be so since the international system is still a collection of nation states. Big states, small states, any time someone starts generalizing people and trying to create a shared sense of community... you know they're just trying to mobilize them for politics.

I don't live in Texas but I go to Dallas semi-frequently, and I've been to Austin. It's actually alright, maybe because I have good friends in Dallas I usually have a good time. Southerners have always been alright with me, but I'm really anglo looking so no one thinks to bother me for any reason (I have the opposite problem when I'm visiting home). I like southern girls and the like, and aside from the consensus conservatism in some circles, I find southerners as a whole quite nice people...

It's... big, in terms of driving around. If you've lived in the midwest, like I have, you don't think twice about it. Or if you've lived in Florida, which has the most boring highways in the world. My only experience in TX is with big cities, though, rural TX / North TX are supposed to be a different universe.

It's not too bad down here. The thing I hate the most is the heat and humidity. In the bigger cities, there's plenty to do. I live in Austin, and I don't mind it too much. Austin has this great music scene, live shows (most of them free in restaurants) every night. For musicians, bands, etc. it is a great place to start and get noticed. The coastal towns (Corpus Christi, Port Aransas and such) are nice too, but the beaches are so damn dirty. Rural parts around Austin I have only really driven through, or camped in. A lot of cows :rofl:. In general, Texas isn't too much like the stereotypes people commonly put on it. We do drive cars, and not horses, not all of us wear cowboy boots and such lol. The only thing I hate about this place is the damn climate. Oh, and here in Austin, there are TONS of hippies :D

^Since you're from Texas you may be from a similar religious background. Are your parents Southern Baptists too?
Nah, they're Lutheran and Catholic.

Nice info :) , I wouldn't ,mind if you talk about other states or the other places you've been to.

My view from Texas is far from cowboys hehe. I imagine caucasians throwing stones to blacks (or African-American as you like to say it :rolleyes: ) and large women eating in McDonalds (is Texas still the state with the "largest" people?).

Well, the racism has gone down, sure you still have the occasional hate crime, but so does every other community in this world. The whole "throwing stones at blacks" isn't a problem though. That all disappeared with the Civil War and Reconstruction.

About the obesity of Texas, now that I'm not all too sure. There are a lot here, but probably no more than most places. Then again, I haven't paid much attention to it. I don't know if Texas still has the "largest" people though.

I have been to California (born there), North Carolina, Okinawa Japan, and Hawaii. Hawaii was vacation though. So was Florida. My dad was in the Air Force, so we did quite a bit of moving. I don't remember much from most of those places, as I was rather young.

Americans aren't so keen on overt racism. Contrary to perception, in my experience Americans are the -least- racist people I've encountered in my travels. The rural south is... well, rural people everywhere are a touch xenophobic. What you have to watch out for in the U.S. is very subtle racism. Even a lot of very racist white people think it's inappropriate to use the word my pals or nigga, while at the same time they'll rail about black welfare women and affirmative action taking jobs from whites. In parts of the south and midwest you still get some strong overt white on black racism, but for the most part it's much more subtle. It's not like, say, Spain, where crowds in professional, nationally televised soccer games make monkey chants at black players on the opposing team. That can't happen here. It used to be much worse up here up until the 60s, but the Civil Rights movement had such a huge effect on how we talk and deal with race here...

You see a lot more overt racism between minorities in the U.S.; whites have to worry about a lot more scrutiny because up until the 1960s the U.S. was one of the least progressive Western countries on ethnic issues (re: segregation). You can get shot in low income areas for being hispanic looking or black, depending on the neighborhood. Especially in places like L.A.