When the oceans rise - General Chat Thread

The live DVD (I don't know the name because I lent it to my uncle and he never brought it back) is kinda muddy too. I thought it was the recording but it's not the first time I've heard that their sound (like not the performance, but the sound) is iffy live.

They played a pretty solid show when I saw them, three years ago with Kreator. but I was really into their stuff back then, however, over time I sort of "grew" out of it.

The live DVD (I don't know the name because I lent it to my uncle and he never brought it back) is kinda muddy too. I thought it was the recording but it's not the first time I've heard that their sound (like not the performance, but the sound) is iffy live.

Oh yeah DT's live DVD is terrible, the band was great, but the crowd... not so much :Smug: .

There's a new one coming up though, I'm sure it'll be better :headbang: .

For the first time in five years ?? :loco:
holy crap dude.. how long was it, did it reach all the way to your waist, maybe even past your butt?
It doesn't work like that. I last had mine cut in 1989, but it stopped growing in 1992 or so. From then on, it didn't get any longer. Of course, with the passage of time, it's now thinning out to the point where I'm going to have to make a decision about what to do with it. I'll keep it for now, but I don't know how much longer that'll be a viable option :-(

but if it stops growing, and you cut away everything so it's very short again (or maybe even totally bald), will it grow back again??

Yeah, most people's hair has a maximum length before it just breaks off or falls out. That's how cavemen kept from becoming rolling hairballs before the invention of scissors.

It doesn't work like that. I last had mine cut in 1989, but it stopped growing in 1992 or so. From then on, it didn't get any longer. Of course, with the passage of time, it's now thinning out to the point where I'm going to have to make a decision about what to do with it. I'll keep it for now, but I don't know how much longer that'll be a viable option :-(

Doesn't it grow stronger if you snip the ends often? I thought that's how Hawaiian chicks get hair down to their feet (could be extensions, though). At least, my stylist always told me that cutting an inch off the ends every so often makes sure it grows mighty.

I'm wondering if I'm going to go bald since my Dad went bald in high school. I also have the same body hair features he does. :lol: Except my hair hasn't started balding yet and it's still growing long.

I have a different reason to be depressed atm. Not sure you people know or care, but "World Youth Day", i.e. when the Pope and Co. along with 200000 "pilgrims" come to a city (at taxpayers' expense) to rail against family planning and all forms of reason, is happening in Sydney. After professing my non-faith last year, I got an angry response from my Catholic parents. After that, we hardly talked about faith, or I deliberately tried to avoid the conversation. Then, as I had predicted, day before yesterday, just as our fucking Prime Minister spoke on T.V. saying that faith and reason go hand in hand, the argument re-ignited with my parents, sparked by Dad. Not much is going my way these holidays, and Dad says it's a sign from God - failed the driving test AGAIN (on 97 out of 101 points mind you), and didn't get a graduate position for the end of this year.

By the way, yesterday, my dad and mum bought 2 tickets to the Final Mass at $250 each. They're frugal for most things, but seemingly not when it comes to faith.

^I thought parents may be different about those things in Australia but I guess not, my parents still think I'm going to Hell, at least my Dad stopped making me go to church last November, do they still make you go?

I have a different reason to be depressed atm. Not sure you people know or care, but "World Youth Day", i.e. when the Pope and Co. along with 200000 "pilgrims" come to a city (at taxpayers' expense) to rail against family planning and all forms of reason, is happening in Sydney. After professing my non-faith last year, I got an angry response from my Catholic parents. After that, we hardly talked about faith, or I deliberately tried to avoid the conversation. Then, as I had predicted, day before yesterday, just as our fucking Prime Minister spoke on T.V. saying that faith and reason go hand in hand, the argument re-ignited with my parents, sparked by Dad. Not much is going my way these holidays, and Dad says it's a sign from God - failed the driving test AGAIN (on 97 out of 101 points mind you), and didn't get a graduate position for the end of this year.

By the way, yesterday, my dad and mum bought 2 tickets to the Final Mass at $250 each. They're frugal for most things, but seemingly not when it comes to faith.

Yeah I read that about the Pope, it fucking sucks.

I would dress up as a condom if he were to come here. And maybe throw some eggs too :lol: .

Wow $500, that's a lot of money, you can buy a PS3 with that! Tsk tsk such a waste.

My mom is catholic, and she gives money to the church, but not as much as $250 :Smug: . Really, what a waste.

My dad is an atheist and so am I, my sister is agnostic, and my other sister is well, 10 years old, but she'll probably end up being atheist or agnostic (hopefully nothing to do with any religion).

I stopped going to church like 6 or 7 years ago (when I was 15 or something), and I've only been to one either to take a leak (whether it's in a toilet or at it's doors :lol: ) or to a funeral.

Anyways, your parents have to respect your decision (you should tell them that), and just think that you're at least trying to have a thinking of your own.

Peace, and say no to religion :) .

@Derek: I only continued to go to church until late last year because not going when I didn't have a good reason only made the parents angry...which I don't like, since I actually like my parents and respect the countless sacrifices they have made for me (keep in mind we left Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, of all places the least tolerant of Christianity, in 1991). Plus after evening mass, we always enjoyed a couple of coldies (beers)...might have been a bit of a bribe in the end, but oh well. I'm 20 now, and have put up with it far enough...

@Defiance: My parents are a tad hypocritical when it comes to the "own decision" part. While on one hand they say, "Fine then, its your decision", on the other hand, they refuse to accept it!!!

The thing is, I have absolutely no problem with people's personal faiths as long as they guide them towards living better lives and respecting others, but I resent the public dissemination of this event, especially as ALL taxpayers have to shoulder the bill for this event. Imagine if other faiths/denominations lobby to hold their own taxpayer-funded youth event. What will the government say then???

Since agnosticism/atheism is so rare in our wider family (and our relatives are in the USA and Canada), the only concern i'll I ever have if I ever start a family is whether I even try to pass on the faith to the next generation. Since I'm notoriously honest, I don't think I will.

@Derek: I only continued to go to church until late last year because not going when I didn't have a good reason only made the parents angry...which I don't like, since I actually like my parents and respect the countless sacrifices they have made for me (keep in mind we left Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, of all places the least tolerant of Christianity, in 1991). Plus after evening mass, we always enjoyed a couple of coldies (beers)...might have been a bit of a bribe in the end, but oh well. I'm 20 now, and have put up with it far enough...

@Defiance: My parents are a tad hypocritical when it comes to the "own decision" part. While on one hand they say, "Fine then, its your decision", on the other hand, they refuse to accept it!!!

The thing is, I have absolutely no problem with people's personal faiths as long as they guide them towards living better lives and respecting others, but I resent the public dissemination of this event, especially as ALL taxpayers have to shoulder the bill for this event. Imagine if other faiths/denominations lobby to hold their own taxpayer-funded youth event. What will the government say then???

Since agnosticism/atheism is so rare in our wider family (and our relatives are in the USA and Canada), the only concern i'll I ever have if I ever start a family is whether I even try to pass on the faith to the next generation. Since I'm notoriously honest, I don't think I will.

Concerning the reply to "Derek" I'm glad you got out of there, there's never been peace there, but I guess it's gotten much worse (or much televised?) recently, so I'm glad you made it on time.

Yeah, all people that have a religion are bound to be hypocritical, as Iced Earth's song says "I've gotta do as you say, not as you do."

My mom is quite Catholic, but oh well I just let her be, she's a great person and has done so much for me.... I think she's pretty much over the fact that I'm atheist, so she doesn't bother me with religious stuff so much. Whenever she does, I just go "yeah yeah sure mom :D." My aunt, on the other hand, gets on my nerves, she's so fucking conservative (more than my mom).
At least they're smart enough to know that what benedict says about condoms is just a load of bullshit.

My girlfriend is agnostic (I guess), and she just loathes (like me) people who are extremely conservative (like her mom :p), so I guess the religion stuff won't pass on to our children either. Yay for the world :tickled: .

I've loved that Iced Earth line, it's a special band that can have a positive message alongside ditching religion. Iced Earth may be faithless ("My Own Savior") yet are still patriotic ("Ghost of Freedom", "1776"), self-confident and have a strong sense of duty ("Stand Alone"), a rare combination for an American band let me tell you \m/ I don't think they're neo-cons, just limited-government types.