When/why will DT break up?

rahvin said:
i don't think she does, i don't see why the subject should be off-limits just because it's based on a guess. as if discussing the new album is not.

i didnt take part in that thread but that one is more like what you would like the next album to be, its not really as much a guess as this thread. You can discuss this i dont care :p

rahvin said:
i hope i'm not the only one around here to think that dark tranquillity should break up as soon as they've reached the end of the path of ideas and inspirations that the band has started on under this name. it wouldn't really seem that tragic, to me.

i cannot possibly foresee any "difference of opinions" among the band members that would lead them to go their separate way over something personal. they've been friends since the dawn of time, they're not spoiled starlets arguing over where to go for dinner or chasing after big money. but it does make sense that once they feel that the dark tranquillity project has expressed all that it meant to, their paths in music might diverge, or take a different form that, while still allowing them to work together, would not be under the monicker we know and love.

That´s pretty much what Sentenced did. Very wise decision. That way they´ll be kept in good memory by their fans (except for those who still wait for Taneli Jarva to return..).

rahvin: Never heard of that band you say, but i used to be a fan of Theatre Of Tragedy until they pulled off their stupid pop act. Ever since "Aégis", everything they did was pain for my ears. So i know what you mean, and i agree that bands should change their names whenever they decide to do that (why would they want to do something so horrible in the first place?). Let's hope Tranquillity doesn't pull off the same kind of shit on us fans.

@TheFourthHorseman, Taliesin: Do you actually think I care what a couple of Euro trash have to say?
Maybe some day You'll find out it's much more fun to be happy than miserable.
I love You both more than life itself.
a BIG hug
daviDT

NP: the Beatles - all you need is love

I agree with rahvins point. I think this is the moment, although it will be very painful because even new bands could not replace DT - I think.

But let's hope there's some more years and albums coming up. I think the new contract with Century Media features 3 albums of which Character is the first. (a quite usual lasting time for a contract, so...)

But anyway, I think Sentenced had a contract (longer than The Funeral Album) as well... But - assuming they'll not reunite again - I pay them lots of respect, I'm sure they earned more money than DT. So they really lost something.

rahvin said:
they've been friends since the dawn of time, they're not spoiled starlets arguing over where to go for dinner or chasing after big money. but it does make sense that once they feel that the dark tranquillity project has expressed all that it meant to, their paths in music might diverge, or take a different form that, while still allowing them to work together, would not be under the monicker we know and love.

to be honest, i'd much prefer this solution to having my favorite band either putting out uninspired/repetitive records, or making music that is too far from the original form of art that it cannot be considered an evolution of it.
Yep me too I think so (i also think we ALL agree with you :cool: ) . It's so sad when you see bands not having good ideas anymore, and sometimes it's so clear...some bands seem really deaf... :erk:
apart from this, as a fan I'd consider DT splitting up really bad news (btw Undo, why the hell did you think about THIS???o_O the worse idea for a fan!!! o_O :err: :yell: ;) ) but at a certain point it wouldn't be a fault if the band had no inspiration anymore. Sometimes it is seen as a crime, but ideas come and go and btw (on a general overview) if you really think about music business, it's horrible that a band must write down music only cos it's stated in a contract...:ill:

about splitting-up this year one of my fave drummers (Thomen) left my absolutely fave band along with DT (Blind Guardian) and of course it was such a bad news but he did it in a really cool way, explaining that he didn't want to follow the band musical direction no more, and they are still close friends.
and btw i think he's right!!! :loco: (even if I'm a super BG fan i must admit that they have lost their great inspiration so far...)

I talked once to someone who was around that BG split... "friends" version was more to the public ;) Noone, except the very band, really knew how it was and why.

Hmmm, and in the light (dark light?) of what Rabbi said, one thing keeps me wondering: why Opeth isn't disbanded yet?

:D

plintus said:
I talked once to someone who was around that BG split... "friends" version was more to the public ;) Noone, except the very band, really knew how it was and why.
oh yep that's for sure but at least they didn't do a showed-off split like other bands did...(Nightwish and Helloween for all) :)

i agree that what makes most of the difference is the way your record label / management helps you make it through the uncomfortable circumstance. it's less important if you split over the quantity of cocaine snorted daily than how it comes out. everybody should always be "amiably pursuing different interests". or you're an immature moron, end of story.

Dafne: Dunno, i was taking a shower one morning and i started thinking in a rather pessimistic way (as always) about the future of DT, and suddenly this thread occurred to me.

The idea here looks to me somewhat like what Nightwish did (except the one who left didn't do it voluntarily): to put it simple, the band wasn't happy with Tarja anymore, and Tarja wasn't interested in the direction of the band anymore, so they parted ways instead of becoming some stupid band that writes idiotic songs just to get more cash, and now Nightwish will probably go back to something more in the original direction they had taken and Tarja will probably do something more pop (my guess).

UndoControl said:
The idea here looks to me somewhat like what Nightwish did (except the one who left didn't do it voluntarily): to put it simple, the band wasn't happy with Tarja anymore, and Tarja wasn't interested in the direction of the band anymore, so they parted ways instead of becoming some stupid band that writes idiotic songs just to get more cash, and now Nightwish will probably go back to something more in the original direction they had taken and Tarja will probably do something more pop (my guess).
hheheeh, i dont wanna start gossip here, and i say first that i don't like nor nightwish nor tarja but i think that being fired with a letter (then showed in a website) at the end of a concert is really a sad coward act...:erk:

UndoControl said:
Well, i do like their stuff.
*Opera singer from scrubs* MISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! */Opera singer from scrubs*

Someone said something about the band members being good friends and not fighting and so on. Look at what i found:

http://www.silentstagnation.com/sxs/interviews.php?interview=73&p=12&page= said:
Interviewer: Although you're already 15 years around you didn't have many line-up changes, do always come along very well?

Niklas: Actually we do because we know each other for a long time four of the five original members are still in the band today and we grew up on the same street. We know each other since we are three or four. We began playing together without any previous experience, we all developed and learned together and I think that creates a band feeling, a band spirit that is much stronger than if you have a band with just professional musicians that are working together. It's important to us to have a good working atmosphere, because we write the songs with all band-members working and giving feedback, it would be impossible to have that if we weren't good friends and if we couldn't tolerate all the people's opinions. It's all very democratic, people are flexible and we have a good discussion, no big egos, no people getting pissed of, no making fights. It actually works surprisingly well!