Which bands are you going to see live?

Oh, been a rough week.
I saw Dir En Grey in Amsterdam and they were absolutely awesome. <3 Fierce and heavy as ever and in tip-top shape, including the vocalist...I've see much worse performances by him, such as the Wacken show earlier this year as seen on YouTube.

And a couple of days later (a week ago) I saw Fates Warning with Pagan's Mind supporting. I went for Pagan's Mind and they were super. <3 I saw bits and pieces of Fates Warning, and they were good, but strangely enough they just don't "do" anything for me. Where I get really excited about Pagan's Mind and Threshold, and even a little Symphony X...Fates Warning just...doesn't hit that string. All in all, a wonderful evening, however.

Next up: Within Temptation next week with supports Threshold and Agua De Annique.

Have fun with Vanden Plas then! I just hope nothing gets in between this gig and they will actually make it there. :)
You're in for a real treat, but you probably know that already. I'd love to see just about any shots that you can make, Nellinha, no preference really. But thanks already for sharing.
Pendragon are great, too, but I would choose Vanden Plas as well. I wonder why they couldn't play together, especially if they visit more or less the same place?
I don't think Portugal is *that* buzzing with metal and progheads that both events will be packed? Or am I wrong?

My next gig... I guess is going to be Fish. Anyone seen him lately?

Thanks Madrigal! :) I think they already got here, I'd have been warned if something went wrong already... As far as I know a pre-gig meeting between Vanden Plas and the two supporting bands took place last night and all is well.

About Pendragon, their gig here was announced only about a month ago. To be honest I don't think any of the two avenues will be packed. Pendragon because of the late announcement and Vanden Plas because they're not that well known here, are playing in a new venue and far far away from Lisbon, where Pendragon are playing. It's still a 2 and a half hour drive to get to Torres Novas, from where I live. :cry: The gig will probably be over by 1:30 a.m., so we're sleeping over.

We do have a lot of metalheads and old-school progheads! And there's clearly a trend amongst the youngsters (oh yes, I'm old!) turning into prog and metal more and more... or at least I hope so. My 16 year old cousin is getting more into Threshold everyday and tonight I'm taking him to the Vanden Plas gig too. There's no going wrong is there? :headbang:

Oh and I'll be seeing Fish on the 5th of December. Got my ticket 4 months ago... first row! :headbang: I listened to the Loreley gig bootleg and it sounds great; my boyfriend was there and he says it was one hell of a gig. Have you listened to the new album already? One of his best, I'd say!

Clutching At Staws? Aaaw bugger, I would have much much preferred Fugazi or Misplaced Childhood, but oh well, we'll see, it's just nice to finally see Fish live once before he may retire. Haven't heard his new album yet, if you say it's one of his best, I better check it out then. :)

Glad to hear that Vanden Plas made it to Portugal, so you'll have a smashing evening then! It's great you are taking your cousin with you, and that there is such a growing community of fine music lovers around there. Sometimes it only takes some proper "education" or instruction, to show the youngsters that there is way more great stuff out there than what they get force-fed with by the media.

I'll see Fish later this month, for the record. He'll play some of his solo stuff + the entire Marillion's Clutching At Straws. At least this is what the website of the venue says!

Fish's website is highly reliable. And being a Marillion/Fish fan myself I'm usually on top of things... :p
This tour of his is the 'Clutching at Stars' tour... celebrates the 20th aniversary of the 1987 Marillion album 'Clutching at Straws' and the release of Fish's '13th Star' album, currently only available for buying online (mp3 ), in shops early next year. :) Hence the 'Clutching at' (from the Marillion album) and the 'Stars' (from the Fish album) and yes, he'll be perfoming songs off both albums and some of his earlier works too. I can get you the setlists if you want... :)
Great guy too chat with if he's not too tired! :kickass:

Clutching At Staws? Aaaw bugger, I would have much much preferred Fugazi or Misplaced Childhood, but oh well, we'll see, it's just nice to finally see Fish live once before he may retire. Haven't heard his new album yet, if you say it's one of his best, I better check it out then. :)

Glad to hear that Vanden Plas made it to Portugal, so you'll have a smashing evening then! It's great you are taking your cousin with you, and that there is such a growing community of fine music lovers around there. Sometimes it only takes some proper "education" or instruction, to show the youngsters that there is way more great stuff out there than what they get force-fed with by the media.

Hey I'm very much into Marillion's first 4 albums, and Clutching at Straws has this special meaning for me, gets to me everytime! Saw him at his 'Return to Childhood' tour (Misplaced Childhoods's 20th anniversary tour), little more than a year ago and what a gig! The guy's a truly gifted lyricist and so nice to talk to. Sitting down he's almost taller than I am! :oops:

I've been dragging my cousin with me to pratically every gig I go to... even Threshold at London! :headbang: Been trying to show him all sorts of musical genres but he's still too influenced by media and trends (like a huge percentage of people around here, in Portugal, music, film and entertainment-wise, which annoys me deeply!), so he hasn't developed his musical identity yet. Oh well, at least he's not listening to the Black Eyed Pies anymore!!! :worship:

HAHAHAHAHAHA, nice one. :)

Wow, I would have loved to have had a cousin like you, Nellinha, taking me to the best of all gigs to see, and interesting places, too.

I don't know why, but the last FishMarillion album just never stroke me deeply, too many.... "tedious" tracks on it, although Warm Wet Circles and Sugar Mice are classics of course. :) The lyrics I always found most intrigueing as well, painting strange patterns and images, also thanks to his unique way of intonation.
Blimey, if he is still taller than you when sitting down, then I probably am the height of his belly button. :lol:

Is that the fat version?:lol:

There's also an angry version: Black Eyed Pissed! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, nellinha, pass me the setlist please! My wife is a huge fan of Clutching At Straws - she was listening to it 20 minutes ago, infact! - and would really know if he actually plays the entire album or just some extracts. Who's playing with him, by the way ? And do they play the Marillion songs with the same arrangements ?

Yeah, I thought you knew...
I actually know a lot of people who were planning on going to the Vanden Plas gig and are now going to see Pendragon... I'd like to see them as well, but I believe the odds of having them around are greater than Vanden Plas dropping by again. Besides, my boyfriend saw Pendragon again recently and says this isn't one of their best tours... so Vanden Plas it is for me! :headbang:

I didn't. I only found out when buying the VP tickets.

Anyway, amazing gig. I already knew they were great musicians, but i didn't know how well would they behave and act on stage...and hell, they rocked the pants outta me! LOLOL

Nice to finally meet you Nellinha (i'm Gonçalo, not sure if you caught that). So many gigs we have gone lately and finally i spot THE Threshold T-Shirt! Well, 2 T-Shirts because of your cousin, i saw him earlier in the lobby, but i wasn't sure...after all i was searching for a girl. You are really nice, thanks for the welcomings! :) Hope you had a safe trip back to Setúbal. :)

Here are a few (crappy) videos:

Progono:

Hyubris:

Vanden Plas:

Pity that so few attended. VP deserved more. But they sure played their asses off. like they were playing for hundreds. I like this type of commitment of a band. :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't. I only found out when buying the VP tickets.

Anyway, amazing gig. I already knew they were great musicians, but i didn't know how well would they behave and act on stage...and hell, they rocked the pants outta me! LOLOL

Nice to finally meet you Nellinha (i'm Gonçalo, not sure if you caught that). So many gigs we have gone lately and finally i spot THE Threshold T-Shirt! Well, 2 T-Shirts because of your cousin, i saw him earlier in the lobby, but i wasn't sure...after all i was searching for a girl. You are really nice, thanks for the welcomings! :) Hope you had a safe trip back to Setúbal. :)

Pity that so few attended. VP deserved more. But they sure played their asses off. like they were playing for hundreds. I like this type of commitment of a band. :worship:

Indeed what an amazing gig! Vanden Plas pretty much rocked the place! :headbang:

It's been great to finally meet you Gonçalo (yes, I did get your name!), I'm sorry we couldn't meet earlier and it was a shame we had to rush off, but that's what you get when you drag 16 year old cousins to gigs with you... :p You're so nice, I'd like to have talked to you further. Oh well, next time. ;)

Thanks for the videos, I'll upload mine too (what Sikarra forgot to mention was that he only recognized me because of my camera/me shooting videos :lol: since I was right in the front, so he couldn't spot my proudly worned Threshold shirt), but it's gonna take me quite a while. My internet connection at home sucks and we've been having some problems at work too... result: I still have 3 Kamelot + 4 Moonspell + 2 Swallow the Sun videos to upload before the Vanden Plas ones. :( Sorry.

I managed to get to the front row and got some shots and filmed 5 videos, some as requested (didn't get Cold Wind FG, I was running out of batteries, and I rather have Rainmaker):
- Free the fire
- Silently
- How many tears
- I can see
- Rainmaker

Concerning pictures, same thing, still have hundreds of photos to upload, from September on, but too much work and so little time. I'll let you guys know when I have at least the videos figured out...

Btw, the Pendragon gig was a massive flop. :erk:

Wow, I would have loved to have had a cousin like you, Nellinha, taking me to the best of all gigs to see, and interesting places, too.

I don't know why, but the last FishMarillion album just never stroke me deeply, too many.... "tedious" tracks on it, although Warm Wet Circles and Sugar Mice are classics of course. :) The lyrics I always found most intrigueing as well, painting strange patterns and images, also thanks to his unique way of intonation.
Blimey, if he is still taller than you when sitting down, then I probably am the height of his belly button. :lol:

Yeah, I keep telling him that but he doesn't seem to listen... I could do with some extra sucking up from time to time, it's always nice... :lol:

I love the whole 'Clutching at Straws' concept. Dealing with addictions, what they do to your life, depression, fame... I just love it, dunno if I mentioned already? :p

Well Fish was sitting in a tall chair... and I'm just 5 foot 5, so... :loco: Anyway, he's some kind of giant and I do mean it, 6 foot 3 at least.

Anyway, nellinha, pass me the setlist please! My wife is a huge fan of Clutching At Straws - she was listening to it 20 minutes ago, infact! - and would really know if he actually plays the entire album or just some extracts. Who's playing with him, by the way ? And do they play the Marillion songs with the same arrangements ?

I can get you the Loreley setlist, but I wanted to check his latest...

Unfortunatelly Fish doesn't play the whole album. :cry: About 3 songs are left out, if my memory doesn't fail me... (Just for the Record, Going Under, Torch song), everything else is there.

I'll have to check the band members too; in Portugal the supporting band is a Portuguese one, called Forgotten Suns (prog rock/metal), really great stuff! And yes, same arrengements as the Marillion version of the songs.

I'll get back to you on this, probably PM you, unless someone else is interested too. ;)