Which of these black metal "transition" albums is the best?

Best Transision Album

• Emperor 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk'

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Satyricon 'Nemesis Divina'

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Enslaved 'Eld'

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Ulver 'Themes From William Blake's 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell''

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Doesn't "transitional" indicate the 'turning point' between current state to next evolved state? I mean, why wouldn't "Anthems..." be transitional then? Shiny production, pompous vocals, latter-day Arcturus style arrangements....all leading to their demise. "Prometheus" was the end of the line, "Anthems" was the transition surely.

Either way, I'm voting Eld just because it's a billion times better than Anthems.

I forgot about Ceremony of Opposites. That would have been a good one.

I define "transitional" as the album where the band noticebly started to change, but they weren't completely done with figuring out their future. It's like an in between album. It's not the album where they have completely changed.

Papa Josh said:
Actually, I think Eld has much more to do with those cds musically than it does to do with Frost or Blodhemn. Lyrically, it's still very much in the old vein.

Even if that were the case, Blodhemn came out AFTER Eld. So explain to me how Eld can be transitional if the very next album went back to being black/viking?

For the record, I don't have many Enslaved so I was just going off what I've heard about Eld being the "trasitional" album.

I just got Blodhemn today. Monumension should be here any day now.

MadeInNewJersey said:
You really should've gotten Vikingligr & Frost, so you could REALLY hear their "progression" from album-2-album.

Oh, I shall.

Should I get the re-release of Vikinglicker or the original? The re-release has some extras with it, but I just want to know if it's worth it.

I have the Vikingligr original press and Emperor/Enslaved Hordanes Land split on separate CD releases. My split has the blue Emperor logo too. Not really, it's red, but you know, I thought I'd offer a happy ending. :loco:

my emperor/enslaved is the super rare red one, which was a misprint. i rule.

more people need ceremony of opposites it seems

Are you sure the red one is the rarity? It's the one I have, but I actually thought the pink logo was the rare version. [/not joking about the pink thing]

JayKeeley said:
Are you sure the red one is the rarity? It's the one I have, but I actually thought the pink logo was the rare version. [/not joking about the pink thing]

on mine, the background is red, the logo is pink, and the horsemen is white

JayKeeley said:
Either way, I'm voting Eld just because it's a billion times better than Anthems.

Obviously I need to hear Eld because Anthems is one of the greatest black metal albums I've ever heard. Though I think "IX Equilibrium" would classify as more of a transitional album from Emperor.

Well, again, since Anthems and Nightside are from two different worlds altogether, I'm not sure how Anthems isn't transitional. Seriously, how is it not the stepping stone to "IX Equilibrium" and "Prometheus"?

I mean, it's clear that Emperor stopped playing black metal at Nightside Eclipse regardless of what anyone thinks of Anthems (good or bad).