Which of these black metal "transition" albums is the best?

Best Transision Album

• Emperor 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk'

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Satyricon 'Nemesis Divina'

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Enslaved 'Eld'

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Ulver 'Themes From William Blake's 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell''

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
JayKeeley said:
Well, again, since Anthems and Nightside are from two different worlds altogether, I'm not sure how Anthems isn't transitional. Seriously, how is it not the stepping stone to "IX Equilibrium" and "Prometheus"?

Aside from the slicker production, I simply feel it's every bit as black and atmospheric as "Nightside...". Obviously you disagree, but that's simply how I feel.

JayKeeley said:
I mean, it's clear that Emperor stopped playing black metal at Nightside Eclipse regardless of what anyone thinks of Anthems (good or bad).

I don't think it's clear at all. To me, the real change in songwriting took place at "IX Equilibrium". I think "Anthems..." is black metal bliss.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I tend to agree with you Jason. Production aside, Nightside = Anthems in terms of black metal output.

And probably songwriting quality as well. I love Nightside, but it's a little more difficult to listen to repeatedly than Anthems is. I've always thought to myself that without the "rawness", I'd enjoy Nightside just as much as Anthems. I know JK loves the 8-track basement like production of Nightside and that sets it apart for him from the other albums in terms of atmosphere, so to each their own of course.

Aside from whether one likes Anthems or not, I just fail to see how anyone sees it as a continuation of what they were doing on Nightside.

Anthems doesn't sit still. It's frantic. It suffers slightly from ADD and I think most people see this as 'atmosphere' because they think it delivers some level of chaos I suppose.

Nightside does the opposite and brings about an air of classical music, almost something quite 'majestic' about the whole thing, music on the wings of northern winds and all that. :loco: But really, try going from something like "Det som en gang var" to Anthems compared to Nightside. It just collapses under its own weight.

JayKeeley said:
Aside from whether one likes Anthems or not, I just fail to see how anyone sees it as a continuation of what they were doing on Nightside.

Anthems doesn't sit still. It's frantic. It suffers slightly from ADD and I think most people see this as 'atmosphere' because they think it delivers some level of chaos I suppose.

Nightside does the opposite and brings about an air of classical music, almost something quite 'majestic' about the whole thing, music on the wings of northern winds and all that. :loco: But really, try going from something like "Det som en gang var" to Anthems compared to Nightside. It just collapses under its own weight.

Bleh!! People, don't read or listen to anything he says here. I'm right and that's that!

:lol:

I have them scored the exact same for my own personal records (9/10 each), so I look at them very equally as well. My 2 favorite Emperor songs of all time are on Nightside... though ("Black Wizards" & "Cosmic Keys").