Which year did you start listening to Peth?

Which year did you start listening to Opeth?

• Pre-1994

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 16 7.0%

Votes: 13 5.7%

Votes: 26 11.4%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 22 9.6%

Votes: 21 9.2%

Votes: 38 16.7%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 20 8.8%

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
It's good that you two guys ^ exist. It makes me feel young. I'm gonna be 23 next month.

I certainly hope you feel young - you ARE young. I'm 10 years older than you and I still feel young. Well, most of the time anyway. :rolleyes:

@Stilgar - my husband's 42, and he's an Opeth fan, so you're far from the oldest. :lol:

2000, got The Amen Corner and April Ethereal from a Candlelight Collection CD. Until I bought Still Life those two tracks were the only Opeth tracks I knew for about half a year. I forgot to rip the CD, so I desperately searched on the internet and found some extremely crappy real-audio track of April Ethereal, which I listened to over and over and over again. I think I should have been mad back then to listen to such a low quality track, but I thought it was awesome :)

I certainly hope you feel young - you ARE young. I'm 10 years older than you and I still feel young. Well, most of the time anyway. :rolleyes:

@Stilgar - my husband's 42, and he's an Opeth fan, so you're far from the oldest. :lol:

I do feel young actually.

It's the one feeling that I hope lasts forever. The day I start feeling old is the day that I resign myself to death.

Halfway through High school in 99-00 I discovered Satan Stole My Teddybear reviews, and went on audiogalaxy piracy sprees of things that sounded good. I got a ton of random albums like Anathema - Judgement, Amorphis - Tuonela, Nightwish - Oceanborn, Tiamat - Wildhoney, The Gathering - Mandylion, Ocean Machine - Biomech and anything else that looked interesting that was recommended on there and was "hot" in current non-extreme metal. In 1999, I went to some guitar camp where some guy would always talk about how awesome Opeth was and how they used lots of acoustic guitars but were death metal, and since he also listened to Slayer and Rammstein I had a very different idea of what they'd sound like than they actually did. One day in one of my sprees I got Morningrise, and remembered thinking "HMMM this isn't what I was expecting at all!" and giving it a few listens, not really loving it but not finding it uninteresting. Then I was at a local CD store in 2000 and found a copy of MAYH. When I listened to that, it blew my face off as it was nothing like Morningrise and after a couple listens I absolutely loved it and got the rest of their back catalog off ebay a few months later, including the (brand new at the time) Blackwater Park. Have been into them ever since.

1995 right after the release of Orchid. saw it in a store and found the album cover quite interesting. i was glad i could listen to it at that store. after the first few minutes of 'In Mist She Was Standing' there was no way for me to leave the store without the album in my hands

2000. I was 13-14 years old and was starting to get into metal. At that time, the way for me to get to know new music was by going to my local library which had and still has a huge CD collection. Opeth was one of the many, many bands I knew about, but hadn't actually heard. So one day as I was looking at some stuff I came across Still Life and listened to it there. To make a long story short: I didn't like it. The looooong intro (at least in the ears of a 14-year old ;)) to "The Moor" probably had something to do with it as well.
Skip to 2002. I'm 16 years and we have just gotten ourselves internet at home. I started checking out new bands and giving known bands a second chance by downloading random tracks from Audiogalaxy. One of those tracks was "Blackwater Park". Once again I didn't like it right away, but I kept listening to it and slowly I started to appreciate it. Then Deliverance came out, I bought it, liked it, but they were not my favourite band. All this changed in the summer of 2003. By then I had purchased BWP and the then new Damnation, and I was really into them. Opeth became my favourite band I think around the time I joined this forum. At Graspop 2003 I saw Opeth for the 1st time and they BLEW me AWAY. I was awestruck. I remember my friend and I rushing to the merchandise stand after Opeth's show to get our hands on Opeth shirts as fast as we could :lol: Since then they have been my favourite band! I'm 22 now and this Sunday i'm seeing Opeth for the fourth time :)

ghost reveries, still great, i love al ltheir stuff, until watershed was released i felt like a noob though, maybe i still am, but ive loved them since i first heard them

I'm sure that'll come soon :p

I definitely hope not. I want to go around the world and visit all sorts of places and get all kinds of adrenaline rushes. But I don't have the money yet :( At least give me enough time to get rich and get all the adventure I want before killing me.

Which reminds me, who's up for a roadtrip through Europe during the summer of '10?

I definitely hope not. I want to go around the world and visit all sorts of places and get all kinds of adrenaline rushes. But I don't have the money yet :( At least give me enough time to get rich and get all the adventure I want before killing me.

Which reminds me, who's up for a roadtrip through Europe during the summer of '10?

Screw that! Summer '10 is reserved for South Africa - for the World Cup!
But you're welcome to come join me at the end of this year in South America for a few months.

Screw that! Summer '10 is reserved for South Africa - for the World Cup!
But you're welcome to come join me at the end of this year in South America for a few months.

Ahh right... I'm not a football fan, but yeah well we could watch the games on the go! ;)

That South America thing sounds fantastic, though I'm gonna be at work at the time :(