who are your fave non-rock/metal bands?

This is such a great thread. As a guitar player I felt the need to contribute. Hope y'all don't mind. I love EVERY style of music. It is all just that, MUSIC. I think it does come from playing an instrument. You appreciate different styles and textures and sounds. I can't imagine only listening to one style exclusively. Though metal is my favorite, I love it all from classical to bluegrass to ..gasp...even some hip hop! haha Here are a few of my non metal faves....

Dwight Yoakam
Radiohead
Outkast
White Stripes (i finally gave them a chance...great stuff!)
Social Distortion
Hank Williams Sr.
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson
millions more

But I'm listening to a LOT of JOHNNY CASH as of late. The box set, UNEARTHED, is incredible!

Arcana
Autumn Tears
Corona Borealis
Dargaard
Dark Sanctuary
Die verbannten Kinder Eva?s
Dominion III
Elend
Empyrium
Forseti
Grabesmond
Ice Ages
Impressions of Winter
Mortiis
Nest
October Falls
Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio
Orplid
Pazuzu
Tenhi
The Soil Bleeds Black
Unto Ashes
WeltenBrand

some punk:
Chaos Uk
The Varukers
The Exploited
Combat 84
Conflict
Discharge
Extreme Noise Terror
Anthrax(uk)
Mayhem(uk)
DS-13
HellKrusher
Verbal Abuse
Admit Youre Shit
Chaotic Dischord
Anti-System
Mau Maus

Well since I've seen some list AC/DC number one favourite

AC/DC, then (in no particular order)
Icehouse
split enz
Talking Heads
Meat Loaf

Not too many...but:

The Prodigy (drum n bass)
Wu Tang Clan (old skool hip hop)
Run DMC (hip hop/rock)
Public Enemy (old skool hip hop)
Mobb Deep (hip hop)
Celldweller (drum n bass/metal)
Sublime (reggae/ska)
Madness (ska)
The Specials (reggae/ska)
Aphrodite (drum n bass)

There is probably more but I can't think of them off top of my head!

rage against the machine
anti-flag
propagandhi
the vandals
millencolin
me first and the gimme gimmes
rai ko ris
NOFX
bigwig
converge
good riddance
guttermouth
lagwagon
ramones
rancid

To ZILLER, RUSSELL, LADY OF THE SNOW and whoever else had similiar thoughts as them:

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who felt that way about music in general. Ever since I started going out with my boyfriend I've been "lurking" some of these forums because he posts mostly on one of the bands listed here, and I just read up on what "metal" fans and whoever posts have to say. This thread is beautiful. I LOVE that some of the metal fans here are open to other kinds of music. There's hope for my boyfriend still yet. He's REALLY big into metal (power, progressive, death, etc) and classic rock. Don't go me wrong, I like some metal, I like some classic rock, but my love for music expands so many genres. I'm not into getting technical about guitar solos and what not about the technicality of metal music or music in general, and sometimes when there is talk of music between us, it ends being that way and I just smile and nod and sigh to myself because I feel like if I praise The Smiths or Radiohead or whatever "non rock/metal" band that he looks down on it because "They only play 3 chords" or whatever. I love music. I love the way the guitars, the bass, the keyboards, the drums, and whatever other weird intrument they might make to make interesting, pleasing sounds. I dont like the thought of me expressing something like that to him and when he's with his buddies he says, "yeah my girlfriend listens to that crap." It's like don't you get it? Music is pain, angst, love, insecurity, first experiences, happiness, sexual, political, and more.

ROCK ON EVERYONE! :headbang:

And now I go back to my lurking.

Any rock/blues based style with guitars in it might sound good to me.
All styles got both goldstuff and crap in them.

Copeland
Bright Eyes
MeWithoutYou
Norma Jean
A Static Lullaby
Billy Joel
Maynard Ferguson
Botch
Beloved
Circle Takes the Square
Coheed and Cambria
Haste the Day
AFI (A Fire Inside)
Pedro the Lion
Rune
The Fall of Troy

So many more...I'm new to this site. Hello to all.