Apr 18, 2001
Vienna
dave stewart
depeche mode
ramones
old school synth pop/dance
old school punk

god i look quite un-metal here huh? :lol:

i said rock/metal so no need to include bands like zeppelin or ACDC, else i would have stated them myself :)

A hell of a lot, to name a few:
Godspeed!...
ASMZ
Herbie Hancock
Delerium
Future Sound Of London
Chris Isaac
Electrovomit (and some other gabber/ hardcore electronica if I'm in the mood)
Wolfsheim
VNV Nation
Reamon
Smashing Pumpkins
Goo goo dolls
Semisonic
Pink Floyd
This Mortal Coil (and most of 4AD's past ad present roster ;) )
Notwist
The cure
Nick Cave
Siouxie
Leonard Cohen
NIN
ICP
His name is alive
Mogwai
Enigma
Bauhaus
Eels
Leftfield
OMD
Portishead
Sneaker Pimps
Spiritualized
Tears For Fears
Love Spirals Downwards
Cry cry cry
The Specials
And that is honestly just a few...

I love alot of stuff, off the top of my head...

a perfect circle, alice in chains, bauhaus, black sabbath, blind melon, bush, cky, danzig, david bowie, deftones, dust for life, foo fighters, led zeppelin, live, nine inch nails, oasis, our lady peace, peach, pearl jam, pink floyd, silverchair, smashing pumpkins, soundgarden, stone temple pilots, the cure, the doors, tool, tori amos

Reactions: Tristessa
lots of ROCK in there ;-)

but what i really wanted to say was that i wonder why i forgot to mention Nick Cave.. i just came to work and was listening to "no more shall we part" and i nearly ran off the road singing along to "hallelujah"... that song always makes me want to cry :cry:

edit: man, i should really make a sadder avatar...

hmmm... it seems there are a lot of open-minded people here. now what i'd like to know is, do you know any people who exclusively listen to metal, totally refusing to like anything else? do you know why?

all the people i've ever known who only listened to one kind of music were very non-musical otherwise... i wonder if broad musical tastes arise from playing music or is it the other way round?

i've known a couple of people who were only into metal but they grew up ;-)

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
Definitely "non metal":
Depeche Mode!!!

Always been open-minded. I love Prog Metal, but to me it's all music. I have to like a song, regardless the style.

Peche is okay. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes ghastly, but their fans are some of the most obnoxious people I've ever met.

However, TFF has always been brilliant.

Originally posted by Ziller
hmmm... it seems there are a lot of open-minded people here. now what i'd like to know is, do you know any people who exclusively listen to metal, totally refusing to like anything else? do you know why?

I don't know that many, but I can begin to understand why... For many people metal is more than music, it's part of their social life as well, it gives them an identity, which perhaps they lack. Or confidence, or an imagined superiority (depending on the person, of course). Perhaps by listening to other music they feel they are weakening that identity, the quality they feel adds individuality. Or perhaps I'm talking out of my arse, who knows ;)

all the people i've ever known who only listened to one kind of music were very non-musical otherwise... i wonder if broad musical tastes arise from playing music or is it the other way round?

i've known a couple of people who were only into metal but they grew up ;-)

Perhaps not only that, it is more a reflection of an aspect of their persoanlity? Insecurity maybe?

Originally posted by Russell
For many people metal is more than music, it's part of their social life as well, it gives them an identity, which perhaps they lack. Or confidence, or an imagined superiority
I've been thinking along similar lines... i can relate in the sense that music evokes -- or rather, strengthens -- feelings withing me... but when i turn off the music, the feeling usually passes. i might feel superior when blasting "strength beyond strength" but that's it.
Perhaps not only that, it is more a reflection of an aspect of their persoanlity? Insecurity maybe?
The ex-total-metalheads who grew up, some of them also opened up. in light of my talks with them, you hit the nail smack on the head.