who are your fave non-rock/metal bands?

Originally posted by lizard

dude! Renaissance is almost completely forgotten except by the two of us!
and you are the first American I've ever "met" who even knows Porcupine Tree exists. I'm hoping their new distribution deal for their upcoming cd brings them greater success.
I just bought their 2 CD Delerium Records compilation, Stars Die. good stuff...

also:
Tea Party (the fact that these guys aren't more well known outside of Canada is a crime.)

Porcupine Tree and Tea Party are 2 of my favorite bands. TP might be my overall favorite.

Blink 182, Bad Religion, Box Car Racer, Dia Psalma, DLK, Ebba Grön, Goldfinger, Green Day, Lagwagon, Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, Less Than Jake, MFATGG and more like: Millencolin, MxPx, No Use For A Name, NOFX, Pennywise, Ramones, Rancid, Sex Pistols, Strung Out, The Clash, Toy Dolls, Ultima Thule, Lucky 7, Agent Felix, Roak, Elvis and Catch 22.

Allmost all the hated bands (hated by metalheads I meen), stuff like Mallcore, Industrial and alternetive:

Slipknot
Mudvayne
KoRn
Marilyn Manson
Deftones
Dry Kill Logic
Rammstein
Deathstars
Pain
Soulfly
Rob Zombie
System Of A Down

Bite that! :devil:

I listen to a lot of artist and not just bands. The only stuff newer stuff (80's and forwards) that I listen to besides metal are Dead Can Dance and Hedningarna (Swedish/Finnish folk) and a couple of songs here and there! The rest is all pre-80's shit. I have loads of records where there are a couple of good songs on it, so I don't really have that many favorite artists.
So beside the two before mentioned bands my favorite list probably looks like this (not neccessarily in order):
Lee Hazlewood (absolute favorite at the moment)
John Barry
Camel
Yes
Bob James
Kraftwerk
P-Funk (Parliament, Funkadelic, Bootsy's Rubberband, Zapp, etc.)
Marvin Gaye
Isaac Hayes
Kool & The Gang (Up til and including "Love & Understanding" from '76 and two tracks on "Open sesame" from the same year, which was their first disco record. Their later is super-duper wack!)
James Brown's 70's shit
Graham Central Station
Isley Brothers' 70's shit
Some of Procul Harum
Some of Moody Blues
Some of Supertramp
Some of The Beatles
Hellacopters (if this doesn't categorize as metal)
Guns N' Roses (if this doesn't categorize as metal. Would be in the top part of my list!)
Barry White, Love Unlimited Orchestra & Love Unlimited (although rarely listen to the 18 records I have by them)
Type O Negative (if this doesn't categorize as metal. My favorite band!!!)
Maybe The Crusaders

I don't know if there's more. For example I have 3 records by the funk band B.T. Express but I don't listen that much to them, therefore I will not include them in my favorite list. The same thing with Average White Band & The Commodores, by whom I each have 8 records!
I think the list is fairly short, as I have aprox. 1100 records!

I listen to a lot of artist and not just bands. The only stuff newer stuff (80's and forwards) that I listen to besides metal are Dead Can Dance and Hedningarna (Swedish/Finnish folk) and a couple of songs here and there! The rest is all pre-80's shit. I have loads of records where there are a couple of good songs on it, so I don't really have that many favorite artists.
So beside the two before mentioned bands my favorite list probably looks like this (not neccessarily in order):
Lee Hazlewood (absolute favorite at the moment)
John Barry
Camel
Yes
Bob James
Kraftwerk
P-Funk (Parliament, Funkadelic, Bootsy's Rubberband, Zapp, etc.)
Marvin Gaye
Isaac Hayes
Kool & The Gang (Up til and including "Love & Understanding" from '76 and two tracks on "Open sesame" from the same year, which was their first disco record. Their later is super-duper wack!)
James Brown's 70's shit
Graham Central Station
Isley Brothers' 70's shit
Some of Procul Harum
Some of Moody Blues
Some of Supertramp
Some of The Beatles
Hellacopters (if this doesn't categorize as metal)
Guns N' Roses (if this doesn't categorize as metal. Would be in the top part of my list!)
Barry White, Love Unlimited Orchestra & Love Unlimited (although rarely listen to the 18 records I have by them)
Type O Negative (if this doesn't categorize as metal. My favorite band!!!)
Maybe The Crusaders
Maybe Mannfred Mann's Earth Band (up until the mid 70's)
Maybe Pink Floyd (up until the mid 70's)

I don't know if there's more. For example I have 3 records by the funk band B.T. Express but I don't listen that much to them, therefore I will not include them in my favorite list. The same thing with Average White Band & The Commodores, by whom I each have 8 records!
I think the list is fairly short, as I have aprox. 1100 records!
Originally posted by Ziller
hmmm... it seems there are a lot of open-minded people here. now what i'd like to know is, do you know any people who exclusively listen to metal, totally refusing to like anything else? do you know why?

all the people i've ever known who only listened to one kind of music were very non-musical otherwise... i wonder if broad musical tastes arise from playing music or is it the other way round?

i've known a couple of people who were only into metal but they grew up ;-)
I agree with what Lady of the snow wrote! When I was a metal head some years back I ONLY listened to metal!! Then I started listening to hip hop (which I had done some years before too) and got into 70's funk and shit (which 99% of hip hop is stolen from) and my musical taste widen. Today, as I said, I almost don't listen to anything newer than the 70's, but I would say I like any style of music, if it existed before the 80's, but still some people say I hate everything and all that shit, just because I don't like Britney Spears, Madonna and all the other synthetic plastic crap that comes out today! I mean, how can I have 1100 records if I hate everything? It doesn't make any sense. Put Britney Spears on and I will say it's crap. Not because it's pop, but simply because I don't like the particular song (which means all her songs). Put "What's more I don't need her" by Lee Hazlewood on and I will say "Goddamn, that's superb!!". That's a pop song as well. I just don't like popmusic from the 90's (expect for a small handfull of songs)! I'm not prejudiced or biased. There will always be stuff that you like and stuff you don't like and there's nothing you can do about it. You don't control what you feel, whether it be "Oh, I love you Denise" or it's "Goddamn, that song is cool/crappy". If someone puts a Britney Spears record and says "Hey Board, you gotta hear this new Britney Spears record, it's slamming!" I'm not gonna go "Goddamn, it sucks!" and judge it before I've heard it. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't. It just so happens that more or less 99.99999% of the music I've heard from the 90's didn't make it past my mediocre grade. A guy like Jeff Buckley did, but I've grown tired of his records.
A guy I know thinks Type O Negative is the worst piece of crap, although he has never heard them!! Once we drove together and I put on a tape with Danzig and he said "Yeah, what's this?", like "Yeah, this sounds pretty cool" and I told him it was Danzig and he went "Yeah, Danzig" like "Arh, nuts!". When he left the car I asked him if he liked it and he of course said he didn't! If he didn't like it that's fair, but if he did I don't see why you should pretend something to yourself just keep your prejudices "alive".

Some of my favourite non metal bands -

Nirvana
Faith No More
Mr Bungle
Fantomas
Foo Fighters (mainly first 2 albums)
Silverchair (same as above)
Nine Inch Nails
Poison The Well
As The Sun Sets (is this non metal)

I"ve been checking out a lot of hardcore bands lately

Luke

Oops I forgot to mention bon jovi!! they are another one of my fave non metal bands, saw them live last year ad they were great!! Will be seeing them this year too

Luke

I"ve noticed a few of you have mentioned Dream Theater. Although they are a good band, would you class them as non metal? I thought they would more so be progressive metal?

Duran Duran{as well their solo projects Arcadia and Power Station} The Police, Tears For Fears, Late 80s to mid 90s Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, Earth Wind and Fire, The Cars, Stone Temple Pilots, Deep Purple, Billy Idol, Peter Murphy, 80s Micheal Jackson, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Eurythmics, Don Henley