Who Are Your Favorite POLITICAL Bands?

Dec 16, 2010
My band is coming out with a CD that has some polically inspired themes, so I wanted to know:
Who are some of your favorite Political Bands/Artists

Here are some of mine

System of a Down
Rage Against the Machine
U2
Lamb of God
Sepultura
Jethro Tull
XTC

Am I alone in really disliking politically-influenced bands? If I disagree with them, then it's alienating and I won't want to listen to them. On the other hand, even if I do agree with them, I find it annoying and aggravating to hear droned on and on about, not to mention I don't find it healthy to only hear one side of the story.

I love Lamb of God, but I hate the anti-war, anti-Bush, anti-etc crap that Randy goes off about, even though I agree with him on virtually all of his statements. On the other hand I also absolutely hate when Enter Shikari go off on their anti-capitalism rants, especially live, despite the fact that I love their music to bits.

If I disagree with them, then it's alienating and I won't want to listen to them. On the other hand, even if I do agree with them, I find it annoying and aggravating to hear droned on and on about, not to mention I don't find it healthy to only hear one side of the story.
I concur.

I generally try to avoid getting into politics, just because in the past when I have actively taken an interest, I find myself making judgements/forming my opinions purely on emotion.
And I can be an extremely angry person...... shit just doesn't mix well, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Amon Amarth
Defend them viking's rights!!!

seriously, I'm also not that much into political themes stuff for lyrics.

System of a Down and Propagandhi. RATM is cool too.

Weird to see Lamb of God up there though... IMO they're not really a political band.

edit : Gojira fo sho

Rage against the machine, lamb of god, frank turner, Shostakovich :p, Gojira

I like to hear people singing about something they care about, sometimes it can just be a bit much but it's a good way of getting some genuine emotion.
I'd far rather hear some Randy Blythe getting all worked up about greed driven politics than someone pretending to understand what it's like to be a soldier.

Verse, Propagandhi, The Effort, although I'm a bleeding heart liberal so finding left-wing punk and hardcore bands isn't difficult.

Maybe you confuse political affairs with politicians and political parties? (hope you see the difference, politics is a greek word and i hope it has the same original meaning in the english language)

Artists shouldn’t be unaffected by social and political issues, they should be serving as a bold voice of their age.
Their creations can give food for thought to the listener: Music is not only consisted of notes and random lyrics about love or war, but it can be a means of expressing some ideas, of course not in a propagandistic way.

Maybe i would disagree with the lyrics from, let's say, a neo-nazi band, but i wouldn't reject a band just because it has a political message.

Am I alone in really disliking politically-influenced bands?

Nope.
I totally agree with the above sentiments, in that politics should be kept separate from music. There are obvious exceptions where a band are entirely built on their views (SOAD & RATM) but as soon as I feel like a band get a bit preachy, I switch off.

For instance - Goo Goo Dolls.
Great band live.. near the end of their set they started to spout off about the illegal wars / oil / bush / god etc. Totally ruined the night for me which is a shame because they are a great band.

It's cool to have views: but keep 'em to yourself famous folks!

Have no problems with politics in my music, don't have to agree to it either, I can switch off from it fairly easily and I feel bands should be able to express what they feel in their music and if they feel affected by a certain political situation so be it.

Having said that I think I'd have objection if I was to go to a live gig and hear a fucking sermon, I'm very much of the opinion that bands like that should shut the fuck up and play the tunes already. (after all it is what you paid to hear)

I don't mind political messages in my music. Though I wouldn't listen to NSBM, for example. To be honest, if I was writing lyrics for my bands, I'd want to interweave my views into the music too. That way, you can put so much more passion into the music and also make it much more meaningful to yourself and other people.

Last edited by a moderator: