Who Are Your Favorite POLITICAL Bands?

Who said I was a conservative man ?
The main problem I have with left oriented people is their lack of sense of humor (cf the Johnny Rebel video). Well, maybe you just find it not funny, after all. I'm a little provocative, but if I weren't a bit, would I have ever listened to heavy metal ? Love for subversion, being a nightmare for my neighbours, that's the real deal !

I just have to criticize on thing.
Your last sentence proves that Lasch was right : a capitalist businessman would not have changed any letter in your words.

I would add that C. Lasch's regard on nowadays' reality is an historical one. Rarely will you find statements about what he finds right or wrong. He's just quoting the paradoxical dogmas of the political rhetoric.

And to make you understand I'm not that easy to put in a political category, I will just quote Bakunin, about authority :

"In the matter of boots I am willing to accept the authority of the shoemaker; of clothes, the opinion of the tailor; if it is a house, a canal, or a railway, I consult the architect and the engineer."

If you are interested in this, I recommand you this webpage :
http://www.panarchy.org/bakunin/authority.1871.html

I'm surprised nobody quoted LAIBACH. They do have a very strong political approach of music. They even created a virtual State, with a virtual citizenship. More détails can be found on their site.

I still don't really know what to think of Laibach, after over a decade od listening to them and watching their shows etc. Besides the obvious that their entire MO centers around being provocateurs. They certainly have clout in being the first cultural phenomenon to hint at what would befall Yugoslavia. In a way they serve no purpose or ideal than purveying the contrary opinion to whatever their audience is dominated by. In concept this is great, possibly the most hated band in the world. But like one of their unfortunate t-shirts from a few years back said, "If you don't like our music, turn around 360 degrees and march", they should have, in reality, received their just rewards on more than one occasion. An assbeating was in order. Then again, they are showmen of the first degree, and their fans, either know and accept that, or are too stupid to care.

Might see Tragedy in Chaos in Tejas, fuarking excellent band!

Possibly my favorite fest ever, by lineup alone. All meat no filler. No bullshit a-list bands, just pure time-proven legends of punk and metal. I wish there was a fest like this in Europe. (One that doesn't make stupid assumptions about punk, core, grind, death and black).

I'm not a big fan of bands like ratm that are proponents of radical political ideals. The last thing we need is a bunch of pissed off teenagers touting radical political ideals that they don't understand and demanding revolutionary change RIGHT NOW! Civil unrest isn't as cool as kids think.

The System needs politicals bands like RATM, because they are promoting an ideology in which every individual people has the feeling to be screwed.
The System needs people aware of their state of frustration and unsatisfaction, so It can give them the illusion it is possible to cool these bad feelings in a material way.
Debord and the french situationnists wrote a lot of interesting stuff on that matter. So did Baudrillard, for example. I think those writters have been translated into english.

Hey sys_fail_you - I think one of the band members (the singer?) from Bad Religion is a college instructor now. Have you heard about this? Would love to take that class.

Boysetsfire. Lots of very charged songs, but they always did a good job of balancing them against personal/social POV lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
BSF: Major influence here. My fav tunes are Rookie and My life under the knife trade

Not to derail the thread, but did you see the recent cover of "My Life In The Knife Trade" by a band in Germany? Just piano and female vocals. It's amazing.

Knife Trade's one of my favorite songs, period.

Many of you must not be into industrial. I love KMFDM, but the lyrics (especially WWIII) just kill me. I am a self-proclaimed right wing wacko, and I can usually turn off the caring, but KMFDM is just way too left for me. Still love industrial metal though

And to make you understand I'm not that easy to put in a political category, I will just quote Bakunin, about authority :

"In the matter of boots I am willing to accept the authority of the shoemaker; of clothes, the opinion of the tailor; if it is a house, a canal, or a railway, I consult the architect and the engineer."

Actually this goes way back to Plato, it's one of the major points of The Republic (as you surely already know, I guess).

Not to derail the thread, but did you see the recent cover of "My Life In The Knife Trade" by a band in Germany? Just piano and female vocals. It's amazing.

I've seen a live duet but I don't know if it's the same, Motel. There's a girl with a really warm voice that sounds german but with acoustic guitar (Ties) and I know a guy in germany (Volcomatic on youtube) who plays lots of epic piano covers in this style, including this, but no vocals.

Hey sys_fail_you - I think one of the band members (the singer?) from Bad Religion is a college instructor now. Have you heard about this? Would love to take that class.

I have. I too would love to attend. His books are excellent.

1. "Is Belief in God Good, Bad or Irrelevant?: A Professor and a Punk Rocker Discuss Science, Religion, Naturalism & Christianity"

2. "Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God"

3. "Evolution and Religion"

Boysetsfire is another great band. "" is one of the best opening tracks on an album. Great lyrics.

I am proud of this discussion. Lots of contrasting perspectives and ideas, still clarity is maintained. Way to go. You've all collectively shown a capacity that most people lack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of politics, it looks like the congressman DID email pics of his dick to women! The public and media are going to "fry that Wiener"

I am proud of this discussion. Lots of contrasting perspectives and ideas, still clarity is maintained. Way to go. You've all collectively shown a capacity that most people lack.

That's what I suggested when I said nobody had reached the Godwin point yet. I quote the Godwin law :
""As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1 (100%)."
Then, we also can lay the stress on the fact that the infamous analogy depends from your political side. Right-winged people will easily compare someone's statement to Stalin or Mao ideology, anti-sionist to Sionist ideology, etc.
It is an extraordinary thing to read such a thread in which people from different opinions talk to each others with respect and courtesy.
It is even stranger in a metal forum, where people are still often compared to uncivilized barbarians listening to howling savages and noise.
Finaly, the passion we share and the relative ostracism we have to bear due to our odd musical tastes maybe have given us the habit to be more aware of every alternative thought, be it faithful to our own convictions or not.