Why Bodom instead of Norther

I don't think Norther sounds like CoB at all.. I don't understand the comparisson. One thing that annoys me is that Norther songs all tend to sound exactly the same.. they have cool sounding solos, but that's all the credit they get from me. I like Petri's guitar skills though and his vocals sound good. He's doing live performances for Ensiferum, a much better band, because Jari left to work on Wintersun. I hope that works out well for him and hopefully if all goes well he could end up being a permanent member.

norther just drills the root note of a power chord and plays the chord a few times a measure, and has some melodies that all sound the same during the chorus in 80% of their songs. Songs by them that dont have that constantly are pretty cool. And the solos are cool.

i like norther a lot but i agree, a lot of their songs sound the same. they are a good band, but bodom has more variety, their songs actually sound different.

I've heard that the new Norther album sonuds kinda different to old Norther and CoB.
Anyone got... Should I get... didn't really like Mirror...

Death Unlimited is a pretty decent album, imho... but as most people here have already pointed out, Norther's songs tend to be much alike. They're skilled musicians, but CoB are much more inventive and have a much better song writing :)

Actually, I thought Death Unlimited was a lot more varied sounding than Mirror, though I still like Mirror a lot too. (Then again, I like AC DC, and with them you not only get a similar sound, you get the SAME ALBUM. But you know what your getting :D) I can sorta see where folsk come from with the similar sounding songs, but I hear that more on Mirror than I do DOEW or DU. DU was one of my favorite albums this year.

Dreams of Endless War has an even darker sound than DU I think, and even has some touches of some black metallish things. Its not a black metal album, but a few of the riffs and drum pieces have a slight tone to it and the vocals are really vicious on that one. They even managed to make the Final Countdown sound pissed :lol: The song Released I thought was amazing, its not like groundbreaking different music but its an amazing song. Last Breath is also another killer one from that one. I like what this one magazine said about DOEW...it was one of the albums that made the '50 Lost Classics' list, of albums that no one knows about but should, and I can agree with it.

I think they have their own sound after hearing about everything they have put out, I mean, Kride himself said that Alexi was a favorite guitarist of his. I can think of some other bands here that sound a lot more lik Bodom they they do.

Norther is nothing like CoB. Norther also had group shouts before CoB so dont say they took that from CoB, it was the other way around. I think you guys have really awful ears to say Norther just sounds like CoB :)

Dreams of Endless War is definately one of the best melodic death metal albums i've heard, but Norther are basically Bodom minus the solos. Thats what I think anyway

i prefer CoB simply because it sounds more original and complex. both bands have their strong points but in the end CoB come out on top.

Also, I cant really understand how people can say that the two bands don't sound similar. I mean obviously they wont sound identical after all they are two different bands but there are some major similarities there. (imo Norther is probrably the closest sounding band to CoB).

Seriously, Dragonfire is a ridiculous display of guitar skill. They have some great fucking soloing ability, but as a whole I would prefer that they didn't even exist.

Norther DOES NOT sound like CoB AT ALL. That isn't an opinion, that is pure fact. Their melodies have no similarites and their rhythm has no similarity either. Children of Bodom's songs are all on a whole different level of complexity.

Norther and CoB do sound very similar. But they you can definitely tell them apart. Their song structures are very different from each other. They each have their own approach to the same kind of music. That's the way I see it.