Why do so many people dislike Deliverance?

mbarys

Active Opeth Listener
Mar 23, 2003
Channahon, IL
www.barys.net
I think it is one of their best albums. The aggression and heaviness is unbelievable. Actually, this was the first album I heard from them and I was blown away. After hearing the rest of the albums, I must say it is a slight departure from the formula, but I think it's up there with the best. Just curious about opinions.....

Well i'd have to say that it is not as good as any of the others. Its not a bad album mind you. In fact its quite good. But Opeth in my opinion has a benchmark out there......and its called Still Life. To me Opeth is all about the dynamics. Having a song like Benighted right before a song like Moonlapse Vertigo is what makes Opeth, Opeth. To take that away and do a mellow album is kinda a bummer. I think it should have been released as a double album with all the songs mixed up. I do love Damnation however......its brilliant. But remember...... a subpar Opeth album is lightyears ahead of great albums by anyone else.

Personally, I think Deliverance is Opeth's least best album along with Damnation. They're still great releases, though. But it's just when the guys seperate the loud/mellow dynamics like they did with these two albums, they don't end up matching up to previous efforts.

I think the dynamics are what make Opeth great! So hopefully the next album will have the same dynamics as the first five.

Deliverance is an excellent album, however Opeth have recorded several masterpiece albums, therefore even an amazing album (i.e. Deliverance and Damnation) can be unfairly compared to their previous albums.

I think it's a great aggressive album as I said before. It's great to listen to it on a Friday in rush hour traffic tryng to get home. Makes me want to have road rage. Good shit!

Matt

I posted the same question earlier in the forum. I think Deliverance is fucking awesome right up there with Still Life. I think BWP is the weakest of their catalog, but it still has some great tunes.

By the Pain I See in Others and Masters Apprentice rule!

matt

ucsbdude said:
I posted the same question earlier in the forum. I think Deliverance is fucking awesome right up there with Still Life. I think BWP is the weakest of their catalog, but it still has some great tunes.

many people dislike Deliverance, because they appreciate dissonant chords. at least thats what I think...

It's because compared to all their other albums Deliverance lacks greatly. Hell it got me into metal. I mean I hated metal before I heard this CD. IMagine what listening to BWP or Orchid would've done.

Anyways the reason it's not as good as the rest is because it seems to lack a lot of passion. Listen to Forest of October, to Black Rose Immortal, to When, to To Bid You Farewell, to The Drapery Falls, and then listen to any song of Deliverance. It doestn' have the same amount of power as the rest.

illbeleavinnow said:
Anyways the reason it's not as good as the rest is because it seems to lack a lot of passion. Listen to Forest of October, to Black Rose Immortal, to When, to To Bid You Farewell, to The Drapery Falls, and then listen to any song of Deliverance. It doestn' have the same amount of power as the rest.

Please see my Morningrise thread.

It's comments like this that have absolutely no basis or backing that make me want to slap myself for even wasting my time sitting in front of my computer reading this crap.

Deliverance has a LACK of dynamics? What are you, fuckin' retarded?

Yeah,seriously,that was fucking moronic.Have you even heard "A Fair Judgement" yet?

Mr. Niel said:
Please see my Morningrise thread.

It's comments like this that have absolutely no basis or backing that make me want to slap myself for even wasting my time sitting in front of my computer reading this crap.

Deliverance has a LACK of dynamics? What are you, fuckin' retarded?

Yes, I'm fucking retarded. I go to the sped room every day and I'm so mentally challenged I'm not allowed to have opinions. :Smug:

mbarys said:
Actually, this was the first album I heard from them and I was blown away.

I think that opinion is very common. The first cd you hear from a particular band will always influence your opinion of the rest of the band's output. Usually, the first cd you hear from a band will be your favorite(if you like the band), because it introduced you to their style.

MAYH is my favorite Opeth cd, and that is probably because it was my FIRST Opeth cd. I remember being blown away by that voice, the power, the story, the cover, the dynamics, everything. I never even knew a band like this existed. They opened my eyes and ears to a whole new world of music.

I would bet, that for the majority here, the first Opeth they heard is their favorite Opeth (good idea for a thread here:)).

PS By the way, I believe this has a lot to do with why Damnation leave a very bad taste in my mouth. I know I'm being a bit close-minded, but Opeth is not supposed to sound like that. If I'm going to listen to Opeth, I want extreme music. Dynamics, growling, insane metal riffing, double bass drumming, the whole deal.