Why do so many people dislike Deliverance?

BTW I think Mikaels death grunts are heavier than ever on Deliverance - he sounds quite like David Vincent on "Blessed Are The Sick" to me with some of his "phrasings" (if you can use that term with death vocals!).

One can only speculate if opeth's increasing popularity, since the release of bwp has contributed to the downfall of a once great band.

SADUDE said:
One can only speculate if opeth's increasing popularity, since the release of bwp has contributed to the downfall of a once great band.

What are you talking about? Deliverance is my favourite Opeth album because I like straight death metal and Deliverance is their nearest album to that. If I had heard MAYH or Morningrise first I might have dismissed them as those albums are so hard to get into - they take a long time to "get" IMO. I don't know what you people all fucking moan about - it's not as if they suddenly turned soft or boring like Load/Reload from Metallica.
Opeth haven't sold out, they're just moving on and experimenting and Deliverance is a fucking classic album.
Theres a lot of "long time fan" elitism and snobbery on here. If you love Morningrise and MAYH and dislike BWP fair enough, but I dont see how anyone can say BWP and Deliverance are bad albums or "the downfall of a great band". Thats just ridiculous.

I think one of the signs of a truly great band, is that even among their most loyal listeners, there's a strong division as to which is their finiest work. For me, "Deliverance" is my least favorite Opeth disc. There's just something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but to my ear, it's not even on the same playing field as "Still Life". My order:

Still Life
My Arms, Your Hearse
Morningrise
Damnation
Blackwater Park
Orchid
Deliverance

I love Steve Wilson's music, but feel his influence on Opeth has done more harm than good.

GZ

General Zod said:
I think one of the signs of a truly great band, is that even among their most loyal listeners, there's a strong division as to which is their finiest work.

GZ

I disagree. If you look at great bands like Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, Priest even Morbid Angel or Obituary you'll find that the fans are pretty much agreed upon which is the bands best era. (Maiden from debut to Seventh Son, AC/DC the Bon Scott to BIB years, Metallica Black album and before, etc).
I think the "classic" bands I mentioned have had many years for fans to discover them and make their minds up - most fans of AC/DC and Maiden have been with them for a long time. The difference is with Opeth a lot of fans are discovering them only now due to press hype, great reviews etc. So the die-hards who have liked them from the start prefer their old direction (seeing Deliverance and BWP as watered down) while the new fans will appreciate the whole.
I honestly can't see how Still Life is any better than BWP. They are both similar in terms of song structures with one glaring difference - BWP has the frankly fucking AWESOME title track. Can any serious Opeth fan tell me that after the quiet bit in BWP (the song) when THAT huge riff kicks in and Mikael growls from the bowels of hell itself they don't think "What a fucking amazing song!" to themselves? I get shivers every time I hear that and nothing on Still Life can do that (not yet anyway, I've only had it a couple of months!).
Still, it's all just opinions isn't it?!

Deliverance was also my first album, and I like it alot, but I must agree its juts not on par with the other opeth albums. A Fair Judement is on par with the other albums, and its the standout song on the album by far. I also agree there is a somewhat lack of emotion on the album.

But I also agree that a average opeth album is still better then any other bands great album.

While still relatively new to Opeth (and impatiently waiting for my MAYH and Morningrise order to arrive), I really like both Deliverance and Damnation for 2 different reasons.

One - Mikael is not resting on his laurels and pushing his songwriting skills. The next disc is going to be unreal!

Second - since I've been obsessed with Opeth since the first time I heard BWP, I have options as to which disc to listen to dependant on what mood I'm in.

firedevil.gif
I've been listening to Deliverance a lot lately
firedevil.gif

TakinTheMusicBack said:
What are you talking about? Deliverance is my favourite Opeth album because I like straight death metal and Deliverance is their nearest album to that. If I had heard MAYH or Morningrise first I might have dismissed them as those albums are so hard to get into - they take a long time to "get" IMO. I don't know what you people all fucking moan about - it's not as if they suddenly turned soft or boring like Load/Reload from Metallica.
Opeth haven't sold out, they're just moving on and experimenting and Deliverance is a fucking classic album.
Theres a lot of "long time fan" elitism and snobbery on here. If you love Morningrise and MAYH and dislike BWP fair enough, but I dont see how anyone can say BWP and Deliverance are bad albums or "the downfall of a great band". Thats just ridiculous.

I also like straight death metal, but if that is what I wanted I would listen to the infinite number of clones in that style. Opeth is becoming less unique with each release. (THe last 2) Everything is subjective but this forum is helping to understand why Opeth is becoming stagnant. The old fans are over run by the new nowadays. I am not saying they sold out because they still have day jobs and aren't on mtv cribs or anything. I can see that everyone is just satisfied with the mediocrity that is becoming opeth. I am beginning to think opeth could record themselves on the shitter and everyone would still buy it calling it a masterpiece.

"...This forum is helping to understand why Opeth is becoming stagnant. The old fans are over run by the new nowadays."
-SADUDE

You might want to go and try to catch your credibility that just flew out the window.

Next question.

Mr. Niel said:
"...This forum is helping to understand why Opeth is becoming stagnant. The old fans are over run by the new nowadays."
-SADUDE

You might want to go and try to catch your credibility that just flew out the window.

Please stop, you are hurting my feelings. Kidding aside, how about you go listen to something that suits your intelligence or lack of. Some people like living there lives in ignorance I guess. The thread isn't about me or my "credibility"; which matters little in such arbitrary matters anyways. How about you acctually contribute to the conversation? You probably misunderstood me. The majority of Opeth's fanbase seems to have been accumulated since the release of blackwater park. That impression is reinforced by this board. That is a mere statement of fact and there is nothing wrong with being new to a band, everyone once was new to opeth. The point I was getting is the newer fans have lower standards in terms of musicianship in my opinion. Shitty musicians can make good music, and the case I claim is vice versa.

Hmmm.. this thread attracted me firstly. I've been Opeth fan for a long time and I do think Deliverance is not their best alb.
As far as I'm concerned it's too deathy and monotonous. Yet it's still one of the best metal alb, because Opeth is so good, that even their worse pieces are better than other shit on the scene. So, I don't detest Deliverance, I only listen to it rarely. No more or less. But tomorrow I can re-discover it.

It's my first post here, so SIEG HAIL to all of you!

SADUDE said:
I also like straight death metal, but if that is what I wanted I would listen to the infinite number of clones in that style. Opeth is becoming less unique with each release. (THe last 2) Everything is subjective but this forum is helping to understand why Opeth is becoming stagnant. The old fans are over run by the new nowadays. I am not saying they sold out because they still have day jobs and aren't on mtv cribs or anything. I can see that everyone is just satisfied with the mediocrity that is becoming opeth. I am beginning to think opeth could record themselves on the shitter and everyone would still buy it calling it a masterpiece.

Opeth are mediocre now? Right.... o_O
Opeth aren't good because they've got new fans and it's making them stagnant - yeah right that's why they've just released what is clearly their most experimental album yet? And I'd say Opeth are pretty unique in being the only "prog-death" band to release something as entirely mellow as Damnation. What do new fans have to do with Mikaels songwriting anyway?

Opeth are experimenting, expanding and developing with each album. Shun the bands that sit in the same musical rut throughout their careers, not bands like Opeth.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Opeth are mediocre now? Right.... o_O
Opeth aren't good because they've got new fans and it's making them stagnant - yeah right that's why they've just released what is clearly their most experimental album yet? And I'd say Opeth are pretty unique in being the only "prog-death" band to release something as entirely mellow as Damnation. What do new fans have to do with Mikaels songwriting anyway?

I never said Opeth's increased fanbase made them write boring music. Expirimental..hahahahahhahahahahah(ok im done) THe expiriment must be how much of the good elements they can subtract from their now watered down music, see how many fanboys will still go school girl over it.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Opeth are experimenting, expanding and developing with each album. Shun the bands that sit in the same musical rut throughout their careers, not bands like Opeth.

I thought each album prior to deliverance offered an interesting contrast from its predecessors. I think their rate of change was fine, since noone else was even close. I have been really dissapointed lately by my favorite bands, opeth being one of them.
In Flames
Opeth
Soilwork
(and it seems arch enemy are next to go down the tubes)

To give another response to title of the thread. I honestly don't think enough people are dissapointed by it. It doesn't seem like the nail in the coffin of Opeth like some of the other bands, who have burned out. I love expirimentation in music when it is natural and not forced. That is why Opeth is probably my favorite band. Some bands nowadays just seem to sacrafice everything to be different. Being different doesn't guarentee a quallity end result. Which is a point often overlooked.

SADUDE said:
I thought each album prior to deliverance offered an interesting contrast from its predecessors. I think their rate of change was fine, since noone else was even close. I have been really dissapointed lately by my favorite bands, opeth being one of them.
In Flames
Opeth
Soilwork
(and it seems arch enemy are next to go down the tubes)

To give another response to title of the thread. I honestly don't think enough people are dissapointed by it. It doesn't seem like the nail in the coffin of Opeth like some of the other bands, who have burned out. I love expirimentation in music when it is natural and not forced. That is why Opeth is probably my favorite band. Some bands nowadays just seem to sacrafice everything to be different. Being different doesn't guarentee a quallity end result. Which is a point often overlooked.

I agree that being different doesnt automatically make something good, but at the end of the day it's all just about opinions. I really enjoy Deliverance despite the fact it's more straight death metal than anything else they've done and I dont think I'm alone.
What you have to remember is that Opeth have now released 7 studio albums which is almost one per year! That's an amazing statistic in this age of Metallica and Def Leppards taking 5-10 years between albums. Honestly, would you have wanted the same formula every album, every year for the past 8 years? Don't you think you'd have got tired of hearing the same stuff on every release?
I'm sure Mikael has got his Damnation/Deliverance out of his system now and will go back to more traditional Opeth structures on their next album. Just enjoy all the albums for what they are - great music!
At least they're not experimenting by playing country n western and using frying pans for drums like another so called "cutting edge" Metal band!