Windows 7

still keeping these awful Windows text shadow effects intact, uggghhh!

What, like this?

leopard-launch-gal-1.png

Apple didn't announce anything interesting today - not even close. I have some suspicions about something they may be working on that would greatly benefit all of us here, but in reality I'm very disappointed by them as of the last 2 years.

Microsoft has a golden opportunity to innovate and pass Apple up right now, and they are missing it so far it seems. Apple is so fixated on "lifestyle" devices and whiz-bang visual effects that they've lost sight of the pro users like us. Meanwhile Windows is a platform that is rapidly outpacing Apple in terms of music software and performance benchmarking - which is crippled by severe security problems and idiotic OS plumbing under the hood. Rather than fix any of this stuff by building an entirely new Windows on a Unix-based core and ditching their hacked together platform, and loading legacy Windows apps in a compatibility layer (they need to do this, the longer they put it off the more it will hurt their business) it seems Microsoft is simply focused on fixing some of the glaring Vista problems, and acting like it's a whole new OS again.

That seems to have been their strategy for the last several years. Sweep the leaky plumbing way under the carpet and hope nobody notices because there's a glassy Aero interface staring them in the face. They hold the majority market share; I don't understand why they don't just bite the bullet and rebuild the OS from a stable core (ie. not NT!) to give us an efficient and operable OS for once. The almost non-existent move over to 64-bit support has been the shining beacon of their ineptitude at managing demands of the new generation and dealing with legacy technologies.

If Microsoft re-did their OS, you wouldn't have a new OS for about 10 years. It seems like it takes them forever to do upgrades that are just patchwork.

Their biggest disadvantage is that they have to support such a wide range of hardware platforms. I can imagine if they had the limited hardware selection of Macintosh computers to work with those patchwork upgrades would come much faster. It's just one of the disadvantages of having such an open platform. Hopefully one day (in our lifetimes preferably) they find a better system for unifying open platform operation.

Also, it doesn't help that this new OS is taking steps to improve touch screen, voice recognition technologies and other such largely useless crap. I can surely see the appeal in such technologies in the future, but I'd much rather that they actually work on moving their users to 64-bit, or create a solid OS before taking such leaps. There seems to be so much frivolous crap going on in both Microsoft and Apple camps of late to draw in consumers easily mesmerized by bright shiny things. What happened to creating an old-fashioned, rock solid, concrete vault secure, stable, hard-on worthy OS?

What happened to creating an old-fashioned, rock solid, concrete vault secure, stable, hard-on worthy OS?

I don't think the majority of consumers care about that stuff. Only the professional users. I guess the general public is just oblivious to it. But I guess they would be if they don't take interest in the computer stuff.

You would think with that with the widespread adoption of computer systems by large and small businesses alike that most consumers would have at least had some professional interaction with PCs. Even the smallest of businesses tend to rely on computers for data entry/archiving purposes. I'd think that having solid, secure systems is of vital importance to every body, especially with the growing threats of internet fraud, hacking, phishing, social engineering, spam, spyware, viruses etc.

I agree with Moonlapse on almost all points here - although I will say that the Hackintosh community has proven that OS X is amazingly portable to different hardware.

I completely agree with Moonlapse as well. It is incredibly important for business to be able to have a rock solid computer for their daily use when it comes to data entry and archiving purposes. But like I said, I think most of the people don't really have any idea what kind of machine they are working on and if it is any good or not.

[...] Rather than fix any of this stuff by building an entirely new Windows on a Unix-based core and ditching their hacked together platform, and loading legacy Windows apps in a compatibility layer (they need to do this, the longer they put it off the more it will hurt their business) it seems Microsoft is simply focused on fixing some of the glaring Vista problems, and acting like it's a whole new OS again.

afaik its already unix based

[...] They hold the majority market share; I don't understand why they don't just bite the bullet and rebuild the OS from a stable core (ie. not NT!) to give us an efficient and operable OS for once. [...]

it's build form a unix core but they added such stupid things as the regestry etc...
and to be honest I don't have any stability problems.

I agree with Moonlapse on almost all points here - although I will say that the Hackintosh community has proven that OS X is amazingly portable to different hardware.

Portable? Yeah. Amazingly? No. Ever tried putting up a hackintosh setup? Unless you have the exact right hardware, it's shitloads of work. I never managed to get the graphics work 100% (no acceleration) on the machines I've done it, and you'd think that shouldn't be that much of a problem to get working.