Windows 7

Yes, the registry is one of the biggest fail concepts ever made.

Being required to use 3rd party anti virus, firewall and spyware software is absolute shite too. Microsoft need to integrate this functionality within Windows (and no, I don't mean that pissy Windows Firewall bullshit) & make it more self-sustainable, amongst other things. One of the biggest crap things about running a Windows OS is all the maintenance and separate updating you have to do. If they can consolidate it all into one system, then there'd be some real headway.

I disagree, and think it shouldn't even be necessary in the first place. I don't need to run antivirus or antispyware on my system since I can control everything and I manage it well, and the fact that this surprises people speaks very poorly for Microsoft quality.

Jeff

I disagree, and think it shouldn't even be necessary in the first place. I don't need to run antivirus or antispyware on my system since I can control everything and I manage it well, and the fact that this surprises people speaks very poorly for Microsoft quality.

Jeff

I agree with not running spyware bullshit. it fucking sucks. it's not hard to find quality pron sites that are clean, so there's really almost no excuse for getting an viranuses. surf safe & save system resources!

Sadly, with Windows you need to - even if you're only surfing the clean sites.

Jeff

IMO it's a combination of Windows having plenty of exploitable holes as well as the Virii/Malware programmers targeting Windows more frequently than OSX. If they wanted to hammer OSX they would and could without a problem and I think it's only a matter of time before that happens. The OSX user base will grow and so will the amount of shit hitting the users.

Windows is used by more people around the world than OSX by a large margin just as it always has been and I believe that is a large cause of the issues.

With that said I'm open to either OS and will build a hackintosh if shit hits the fan beyond a manageable level. I just can't pull myself away from being able to build and configure my own computers so I think the hackintosh route would be the way for me to go.

IMO it's a combination of Windows having plenty of exploitable holes as well as the Virii/Malware programmers targeting Windows more frequently than OSX. If they wanted to hammer OSX they would and could without a problem and I think it's only a matter of time before that happens. The OSX user base will grow and so will the amount of shit hitting the users.

Windows is used by more people around the world than OSX by a large margin just as it always has been and I believe that is a large cause of the issues.

With that said I'm open to either OS and will build a hackintosh if shit hits the fan beyond a manageable level. I just can't pull myself away from being able to build and configure my own computers so I think the hackintosh route would be the way for me to go.

OS X doesn't need security through obscurity - cracks for it are still hard to write. While we see some here and there (no doubt because the stereotypical Mac zombies are annoying little fucks), it's a fundamentally more secure system and nowhere near as many things need to be done to it. In fact, since so much of the Mac (and all of the Linux) base system is open-source we should see a great deal of malware by that logic - it's hard to call either platform obscure when its foundations are given away for free because people *want* its workings to be known - but the simple fact of the matter is that open-source software gets bugs and holes worked out incredibly quickly... to paraphrase what's known in open-source land as 'Linus' Law', "Given enough eyes, all bugs are shallow". Linux also runs a significant portion of the internet, so it's not obscure there - it's more than significant enough to earn a few attempted potshots here and there, but it goes on unfazed.

Jeff

I'd like to see how you reached that conclusion - some *very* poor setups can lose stability, but that's a very big claim to be making. In addition to being more robust and efficient, Linux desktop programs don't often take down the whole bloody kernel and graphics server when they crash unless you've been shooting acid into their eyeballs.

'Dumbness of the user' really just shows your biases going in... I'd say that it's dumb that a user has to use anti-virus software, not that it's dumb to not use anti-virus software. I'd say that it's dumb that the access control privileges are so borked that even 'limited' users can still fry the entire machine. I'd say that it's dumb to have something so fundamentally fucked as the Registry (accessible by any program that feels like it should be installed) holding as much importance as it does without preventing it from being such a catastrophic mess that can bring an entire system down irreparably if it's so much as breathed on the wrong way.

Jeff

your're right.
it's almost impossible to kill the kernel. thats the best thing about linux and it's design. I had the most problems with older compiz versions. So it's easy for a normal user to get something installed wich makes your system almost unuseable and is hard to fix. (yeah there are a bunch of console commands for sure, but linux can be reinstalled faster and you don't loose any data)

the registry approach is just outdated in my opinion

Being required to use 3rd party anti virus, firewall and spyware software is absolute shite too. Microsoft need to integrate this functionality within Windows (and no, I don't mean that pissy Windows Firewall bullshit) & make it more self-sustainable, amongst other things. One of the biggest crap things about running a Windows OS is all the maintenance and separate updating you have to do. If they can consolidate it all into one system, then there'd be some real headway.

firewalls are just to hyped, almost every 10th person that has one does really need it. the problem thats there is, if windows now includes a virus scanner it has to make a version without it too. so that companys like kaspersky and panda cant sue them...
I don't know if people would go for that version, could cause even more problems

btw: the beta is here, already downloaded it.

OS X doesn't need security through obscurity - cracks for it are still hard to write. While we see some here and there (no doubt because the stereotypical Mac zombies are annoying little fucks), it's a fundamentally more secure system and nowhere near as many things need to be done to it. In fact, since so much of the Mac (and all of the Linux) base system is open-source we should see a great deal of malware by that logic - it's hard to call either platform obscure when its foundations are given away for free because people *want* its workings to be known - but the simple fact of the matter is that open-source software gets bugs and holes worked out incredibly quickly... to paraphrase what's known in open-source land as 'Linus' Law', "Given enough eyes, all bugs are shallow". Linux also runs a significant portion of the internet, so it's not obscure there - it's more than significant enough to earn a few attempted potshots here and there, but it goes on unfazed.

Jeff

I don't feel that OSX or Linux/Unix are obscure by any means. I'm just talking about the majority of average home computer users are running Windows. I sadly worked tech support for Charter Communications for awhile and maybe 5% of calls were Mac related which definitely reflects the ease of use and smooth workings of OSX and also the percentage of customers running Windows.

I must say you do certainly bring up good points.

Windows is working great for me at the moment but when it ceases to do so I will move on, no questions asked.

your're right.
it's almost impossible to kill the kernel. thats the best thing about linux and it's design. I had the most problems with older compiz versions. So it's easy for a normal user to get something installed wich makes your system almost unuseable and is hard to fix. (yeah there are a bunch of console commands for sure, but linux can be reinstalled faster and you don't loose any data)

Compiz can bite it pretty hard sometimes, that's for sure, but since it's not a core part of Linux (even if you do need the shiny toys) I'm hesitant to call it a Linux problem. Work is being done to replace the X server - it's older than me and practically everything graphical has changed since it first came out, so I'll be among the first to try stable releases of anything else that can come out in its place.

Jeff

I don't feel that OSX or Linux/Unix are obscure by any means. I'm just talking about the majority of average home computer users are running Windows. I sadly worked tech support for Charter Communications for awhile and maybe 5% of calls were Mac related which definitely reflects the ease of use and smooth workings of OSX and also the percentage of customers running Windows.

I must say you do certainly bring up good points.

Windows is working great for me at the moment but when it ceases to do so I will move on, no questions asked.

Saying that OS X or other *NIX systems owe some of their stability to the fact that they aren't targeted as much as Windows is called 'security through obscurity', so while you weren't calling them obscure that's the common term for the argument.

Jeff

Been beta testing 7 since Fri night, there are some improvements, file system appears faster but it maintains a load of around 500meg ram while idle and it seems the longer it runs the slower it gets, this afternoon it took 10 secs to get of off screensaver. Having said this functionality wise it is a step up from Vista and if they can improve on these then it will be viable OS to upgrade XP from

Having said that I will keep my Ubuntu linux system over Windows

As far as security, sure some of the problem with windows in terms of viruses, etc can be attributed to the fact its the major OS in the market and most of the script kiddies can only write code against a doze machine, but it is a flawed OS. Do nix based systems suffer from problems (OSX included since it is at the core BSD) sure they do but the one thing nix based systems have over MS is they are open source and people (besides the developer) are allowed to fix and improve upon them. Where with MS it takes days sometimes a week for a exploit fix with Nix it usually comes same day or next. Both machines can be exploited and there are less software developers for Mac meaning less titles and less vulnerabilities, also with Windows you have to write code for a variable amount of hardware, where with Mac there are less options

*NIX systems have much better permissions and control so I don't think it'll be possible for them to be nearly as vulnerable. Security through obscurity is an incredibly small part of why they work so well - considering how visible they are in major Internet applications the argument from minority status is very weak.

Jeff

Installing Windows 7 right now... the installer is by far the best I've seen from Microsoft, with a very nice partitioning utility. Impressed so far. They are catching up with Apple, slowly, but surely. I beta tested Vista at my old company and it was horrible. Conversely, Windows 7 is the most excited I've been about an OS since the Mac OS X public beta. That's saying a lot!

I wonder what Snow Leopard is going to offer in terms of speed improvements, and how Cubase will run in Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard. Should be interesting to see what happens.

So far I'd say it's faster than Mac OS X 10.5 on my hardware, eats up about the same RAM footprint while idle, and has been 100% stable. WTF happened to the sucky Microsoft of every year previous to 2009?

So far I'd say it's faster than Mac OS X 10.5 on my hardware, eats up about the same RAM footprint while idle, and has been 100% stable. WTF happened to the sucky Microsoft of every year previous to 2009?

It's working great for me as well. Not a single crash or BSOD yet. It actually looks promising. I was saying to JBroll in another thread that I would switch to OSX if need be but maybe I won't have to.

With that said, I'm still doing all audio work under XP and will continue to do so until updated drivers are released for my interfaces and Windows 7 is out of beta.