words only mike knows

As a non-english-talking-man I can say that I've heard a lot of new (for me) words in Opeth songs. I think it's because of Mike is also a non-english. Maybe he reads some dictionaries and select some interesting words that sound different? Reveries, perdition, advent, ethereal, cluster, benighted, affinity, dirge, apprentices, windowpane, hessian peel, heir apparent and so on. Of course it's not a ultra-rare words but it's not too easy to find another rock/metal songtitles with these words.

By the way, "Benighted" is one of the most beautiful words I've ever heard. Just like the song itself.

Apprentices comes from the band Master Apprentices.

There are LOTS of strange words on the lyrics.
I'm from argentina so that makes it really hard to understand the lyrics sometimes.
But I like it that way.

well english is my native launguage, im not a master of it, look at my grammer :lol:. i guess id try harder if it was a paper or something, my point was i recognise most of the words he uses ,although i cant always define them, and i dont hear them in conversation often :lol:

Blackwater is some kind of sickness I think.

blackwater.jpg

Worse than a sickness. Way worse.

Where else have you met moonlapse Mr. Nasty-Fire?

Nowhere, for sure. But it is clearly a combinaison of the words "Moon" and "Lapse". Connect the two significations and here you go, you have your damn definition. Godness.

Alright I'll be more specific. If we refer to Still Life story, the song is right after Benighted. I guess this is all during the night, that's why we have first of all "moon". Now, "lapse", means (chained to "moon") that the night is ending (the night has a symbolic on this album). Finally "Vertigo" which is some kind of dizziness. Now take a look at the lyrics. This song is the part of the story where the outcast feel like he's going to be found by The Council of the Cross, and he has not enough time to flee with Melinda.

So Moonlapse Vertigo means that the night ends which bring the outcast a confusion, because he is stuck between staying here to bring Melinda back, or flee right away and leave his love.