Works of MDB

You know, kind of going on a tangent here, I do not understand why it is bad for bands to sound "happy" at times. Christ people, it is called dynamic, and without it, everything would sound contrived or insincere. Music or to go even broader; Art is defined as serving two purposes: to reflect something in nature or reality, or to convey the emotional mindset of the composer at the time of writing. That being said, I would rather listen to an album full of ups and downs rather than one that is homogenously sad or happy throughout its entirety. Life my friends is not homogenous, it is a pallete of emotions that provides for an infinite amount of combinations. After all, can anyone appreciate melancholy without any happiness or peace?

thebleakhorizon said:
While these two acts share a similar appeal, I fail to see a valid means for comparison in terms of lyrical expression and delivery of emotional/atmospheric projections. My Dying Bride has made a career out of the construction of elaborate structures never short on bombast. Their realm is a Romantic, tragic and far more complex proposition. Katatonia, by contrast, dwell in blueroom minimalism that shuns such bombastic elaborations and poetically tragic yearnings. They portray an almost paralyzing isolation through anti-progressive or reactionary methods, not so much wanting to provoke a reaction as leaving the listener in a trance-like state of uselessness. Where My Dying Bride are the demons and the angels quarreling over whether to joingn forces or combat until death, Katatonia are the silent observer, the lone soul who remains indifferent to the entire episode, and turns to lonely windows to gaze out of while hopeless events unfold.
Well put by the way. I TOTALLY agree with the symbolic roles you have bestowed on Katatonia and MDB. To solidify your metaphysical evaluation here, at least on Katatonia's part, one would have to look no further than "A Darkness Coming." And on the MDB side of the coin, I think your point is exemplified optimally on the track "Catherine Blake" from SODWOL. Both bands are indeed generators of despair, but both are different in their roles that they play out in the maudlin comedy that is life. Actor vs. Observer: a brilliant and accurate(well, as accurate as one can be in such a subjective arena) assessment, really.

MDB is a brilliant band.

From their inception until 1998, they were, perhaps, the MOST innovative, experimental & progressive bands on the scene.

Upon the release of "Light", in 1999, a regressive nature was instilled in the band. The post '%' era, while still very solid musically, lacks that progressive nature.

Their latest record, "Songs of Darkness..." is brilliant, easily one of the year's best (to date).
And, the album's closing track, "A Doomed Lover", actually closes out with a full-on Katatonic riff!!!

The opinion that there is no progress in the development of the music of My Dying Bride(??!!??)..there are one of the bands that haven't any fear of experimentation,the music of My Dying Bride can not be compared to the emotions and the worlds,that Katatonia exhibit in their creations..The abysses of the understanding and the feelings are completely different..the music of My Dying Bride applies more to the external world and the themes in the creations of Katatonia lead the soul deep in the own ashes..And if 'the person' in the music of Katatonia looks out through the window, the reflection of the disappointing reallity comes back to his own soul,and My Dying Bride are there-IN this disillusioning reality,trying to express the reflected emotions,'the person' in the music of Katatonia just draws the curtains...The both bands create indescribable sterling music,but the way of expression is completely different....i love the music of the both!

I'm just really starting to get into Katatonia but My Dying Bride, which I really started to get into early this year is beyond my favorite band. Thier music is very touching and genius. They always manage to try new things every release and my opinion it has worked every time. They are so influential to so many people and bands. Alot can be said for Katatonia as well but My Dying Bride is the best hands down.

i know also more fans of My Dying Bride as of Katatonia,but it doesn't mean that they play better..the music of MDB is somehow smashing,crushing and at first listening it may seem more heavier than the specific katatonic sound..but i think that the katatonic way of depiction penetrates deeper in the innerself and obeys the dialogs with the own worlds,and the music of MDB is somehow more extrovert..i can not compare,they have so different ways of expression ..but the both bands create just amazing music!

I agree with some people on here, Both are totally different bands and express there emotions in different ways. Although MDB are still playing a doom metal style which anathema, katatonia and paradise lost have 'outgrown' this can seem to many people as MDB not progressing but if you listen to their last three albums, they are completely different...it's taken me some time to appreciate Songs of Darkness and even the light at the end of the world but now I do. The Dreadful Hours still contains the best songs, that album is amazing.

I owe MDB a lot, Turn Loose The Swans was the first doom album I bought and have loved them ever since...it's kinda like when I heard this band for the first time I knew this is the sound i've always wanted to hear, even though I'd never heard it before. It's pretty strange when I think about it...Katatonia kinda worked in the same way for me, only on a lesser scale...I have a hard time choosing favorite band, anathema, MDB and katatonia are all amazing (Although I find the last couple anathema albums very boring)