World Cup 2010

Interesting to note that americans are much more interested in the World Cup nowadays. Just read an online report saying that some 17 million people in the USA saw the match against England,

now if somehow we could only add more goals and allow fighting in goddamn soccer...there would be even more USA fans.:D

Glad the 'dog won as well...and screw Spain. Not for nothing but found it rather startling that the Swiss only have 2-players that are under 6'-1".

I'm no soccer fan-boy genious or anything and I know a 1-0 soccer game can be at times very entertaining. But I seriously think they should simply make the nets a bit larger...one way to see more goals wich would not hurt the sport / world cup at all imo.

this is an anomalous world cup with almost a goal less per game than the average, presumably 'cause of the atmosphere and ball (although it's improving). the sport itself is fine how it is, if goals came thick and fast they'd be less valuable and that to me would be a terrible thing.

it's the fucking vevezoolas (or whatever the fuck) that's causing the low scores. shove it up your asses!

this is an anomalous world cup with almost a goal less per game than the average, presumably 'cause of the atmosphere and ball (although it's improving). the sport itself is fine how it is, if goals came thick and fast they'd be less valuable and that to me would be a terrible thing.

I hear ya and good points made...but disagree to a point.

I don't think the sport is necessarily "fine how it is" at all. Don't want drastic changes with games at a 8-7 score / goal rate. But 5-4 or 4-3 scores on a more regular basis or even once in a while would appeal to both the diehard fans and would definitely sway the fans on the fence. Watching worldclass goalstrikers just missing, hitting posts and crossbars...watching drab teams put 10 men behind the ball...this is when I want / wish for the largers nets. Truth is, (and yes even with its little nuances recognized) the sport is boring much of the time. And there are many many fans like me who think like this...fans who want to and would be willing to get into it more simply with more GOOOOOOOOOOAAALLSSS! as Cantor would say.

You got the idea wrong. Neither the players nor the coach care if you find their playing style to be boring. Their only purpose is to win. The World Cup is not an entertainment friendly tournament. The players are not going to entertain you by doing moves and stuff so that the audience can have fun when watching.
That's just what football means to me. I know the club don't focus on the interesting aspect. It's simply what I enjoy about football. Therefore, I really didn't get any 'idea' wrong, it was my personal opinion.

And to Schwarzung, how is Aussie Rules football? Off topic but just asking.

Oh shit, a game on right now. I must watch.

Fast paced game. Interesting to watch and fun to play. The playing field is alot bigger than most other sports, so the players have to be super fit to play. It's kind of a cross between gaelic football and grid iron (or what you Americans call football) without the armor. Extremely physical sport and the players do sometimes end up in punch ups.

lol i knew england would be shit but i figured we'd get a scrappy goal at some point. that was like, WC2006 level of bad. rooney looks so exhausted :(

Holy shit that call was criminal against the US. I watched the replay over and again...still have not seen a foul?

I saw several fouls on that play, but they were all against Slovenia. There were at least 4 US players being held terribly. That was beyond a horrible call. Absolutely pathetic. :mad:

I saw several fouls on that play, but they were all against Slovenia. There were at least 4 US players being held terribly. That was beyond a horrible call. Absolutely pathetic. :mad:

Still no official explanation on the foul etc..but now I'm hearing the play was off-sides?...no way- even more bizarre. BTW a very gutsy effort to come back to tie after halftime...not many teams pull this off? Way to go USA! It should have been a win for ya?

well I can't say good job for getting back, when they played like absolute fucking dirt in the first half to let them get 2 goals..this and Algeria should have been easy wins