Worst Guitar solo ever heard?

Hahaha, I worship Porcupine Tree but the Deadwing solo was actually the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread. However, that's piecing it against the rest of PT/Opeth/etc... For a guitar solo in general, it's pretty okay.

wankerness said:
Here's the worst guitar solo ever recorded:

http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/worstsolo.mp3

The band's called "Free" and the song is called "Wishing Well" and this is a live recording.

Damn, I actually like Free. Kossof was a good studio guitarist anyways I thought. I know he had a terrible heroin addiction and he ended up dying when he was 24 or 25 so maybe that wasn't him. If it was I'm sure he was fucked up on drugs bad while playing it.

Goober said:
Thats pretty much what i DID say. It holds the feeling off the song, cuz the song is all trippy, and the solo is all trippy, but the solo just kinda.....whats the word? oh yeah sucks.
It took some getting used to but I thought it was cool. Adrian Belew from King Crimson asked SW if he could contribute something to Deadwing, so SW sent him the track and said "play something chaotic but beautiful (or words to that effect) over these parts" and he did. The result is the weird Deadwing solo and the weirdness on Halo in the crazy time sig part.

Kenneth R. said:
here we go. prepare the flames.

Dream Theater - In The Name of God.
*flames*
I only like it because it's damn near impossible to play.

As for worst guitar solo ever, I'd have to say anything by Nirvana.

Anybody who names a Dream Theater song is a fucking idiot.

Leave those songs to us guitar wankers and go away.

I would pick some song off of Heretic by Morbid Angel. Some of them just sound like feedback to me.

EDIT: I noticed Kenneth said that. I can forgive you if you give me a cookie. :)

Kenneth R. said:
here we go. prepare the flames.

Dream Theater - In The Name of God.

Hmmm, can't say I agree with you there. I suppose I see what you mean, but I actually think I've heard much worse, MUCH more random soloing.

I think any solo by Deicide or Mithras is bollocks.

The Libertines also have a really pathetic solo in Time For Heroes, but it works ok. And all Nirvana solo's suck pretty much.

I'm sure I heard something that was meant to be a lead part in a Korn song one... that was horrid...

The Free solo we have a link to IS awful though... the Durst thing doesn't even count... it should be erased from human memory :lol:

Yeah I get a kick out of bands that try to label random sounds and stuff solos.The rule of thumb is... If a band doesn't solo, it usually maeans they can't.

It's some of the fastest playing I have EVER heard. The problem? I'm listening to the groove and then out of nowhere Petrucci busts in with something that doesn't even sound like guitar. Wheoohwheeooowheeooowheeoo call the frikin ambulance because my ears just got raped. It made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it, doesn't fit the song *at all* and is clearly an attempt at showmanship instead of trying to write something tasteful. In The Name of Godawful.

That said, his solo spot with Theresa Thompson on SFAM Live is some of the best soloing i've ever heard.

Yeah, I see what you mean Ken, it does sound random. But, having listened to it a little more, I actually think there IS a sense of feel to it. Yes, it's an attempt to show what an awesome technician Petrucci is, but I feel like it's still much less random than most of the Deicide solo's I've heard.

*EDIT* I also happen to be very fond of the song.

Kenneth R. said:
It's some of the fastest playing I have EVER heard. The problem? I'm listening to the groove and then out of nowhere Petrucci busts in with something that doesn't even sound like guitar. Wheoohwheeooowheeooowheeoo call the frikin ambulance because my ears just got raped. It made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it, doesn't fit the song *at all* and is clearly an attempt at showmanship instead of trying to write something tasteful. In The Name of Godawful.

That said, his solo spot with Theresa Thompson on SFAM Live is some of the best soloing i've ever heard.
Where's my cookie!?! :cry: