Worst Guitar solo ever heard?

its definately not the worst.. but it is seriously overrated.. same as hotel california

martyrs_price said:
Yeah I get a kick out of bands that try to label random sounds and stuff solos.The rule of thumb is... If a band doesn't solo, it usually maeans they can't.

Like say...Dillinger Escape Plan? Heh.

Kenneth R. said:
teh freebird solo obliterates everything already mentioned. how could it possibly?

if that's the worst solo you ever heard, you must be listening to some damn fine music.
I don't care if it doesn't have any bad vibrato or big time fuck ups, but it's simply one of the most annoying pieces of music ever. It's not enjoyable, it's not tasteful, it's just a million hours of penatonic scales with no interesting notes or phrasing whatsoever.

I don't know about solos but Coldplay certainly make me want to kill myself - or better yet, them. What a woeful excuse for a band.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Anybody who names a Dream Theater song is a fucking idiot.

Leave those songs to us guitar wankers and go away.

I would pick some song off of Heretic by Morbid Angel. Some of them just sound like feedback to me.

EDIT: I noticed Kenneth said that. I can forgive you if you give me a cookie. :)

I love guitar solos but Petrucci can't solo IMO. He can play TECHNICALLY well but he has no immagination or creativity.

Kenneth R. said:
It's some of the fastest playing I have EVER heard. The problem? I'm listening to the groove and then out of nowhere Petrucci busts in with something that doesn't even sound like guitar. Wheoohwheeooowheeooowheeoo call the frikin ambulance because my ears just got raped. It made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it, doesn't fit the song *at all* and is clearly an attempt at showmanship instead of trying to write something tasteful. In The Name of Godawful.

That said, his solo spot with Theresa Thompson on SFAM Live is some of the best soloing i've ever heard.

haha yea exactly, some people just love certain solos/guitarists because it sounds technical. to me in needs to be MUSICAL as well as fast.

Benighted1 said:
I love guitar solos but Petrucci can't solo IMO. He can play TECHNICALLY well but he has no immagination or creativity.
True - I've never found any of DT's music to be emotional. It's guitar player's music; nothing more.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Yes, he can solo. Maybe not as well on the newer stuff, but their older stuff is extremely creative and unique.
Do you mind informing me how? I could never figure this out. It just sounds to me like they take the popular music of the time (80s rock, nu-metal, etc.) and make supertechnical versions of it in the most pretentious way possible.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I am going to refrain from laughing my ass off at that statement.

And I'm not going to try and convince you if that's what you think. :err:

(Someone else who actually likes them [like me] can do it. :))
Why does part of what you said show up in this quotem but not in your post? o_O

But really, though, I'd like to be shown why I am wrong. I have no reason to hold onto my opinion of them, and would like to see them in a new light.