You laugh, you lose

5tZqP.png

Ahaha, i love when that happens to people who get tattoos in chinese when they don't understand chinese.

When people get tattoos in hanzi, do they just tell the artist what they want it to say, or do they show them the actual characters?

They probably tell the artist what they want it to say. That's why I see so many women with 爱 (love) tattooed on them.

I like the way Maddox puts this:

Everyone knows someone like this. They refer to themselves as "otaku" and they embrace everything Japanese, not necessarily because it's something unique or interesting, but because it's Japanese. They wear clothing with Japanese or Chinese characters on it that translate to English phrases like "good will" or "long life." They wouldn't be able to get away with wearing a shirt that said "long life" in English because it would just look stupid, but as soon as it's translated into kanji it suddenly becomes cool and mysterious? Please. Since they'll sooner die than admit that their fascination with everything Japanese is a sham, you'll occasionally sense how uneasy they become when confronted with something Japanese that's so lame and obviously for little girls that they almost start to back off from the mountain of stupid they've climbed up on. Almost.