Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

Well, it appears a copy of Vîrstele Pămîntului has fallen out of the sky into my ears. Can't say I've heard anything quite like it before, having listened almost exclusively to metal without central European folk influences in the past. It's also the first Negură Bunget album I've heard; perhaps I am doing it in the wrong order.

I've only had time to listen once, but my first impression was very very favorable despite the tremolo picking getting really annoying sometimes

Well, it appears a copy of Vîrstele Pămîntului has fallen out of the sky into my ears. Can't say I've heard anything quite like it before, having listened almost exclusively to metal without central European folk influences in the past. It's also the first Negură Bunget album I've heard; perhaps I am doing it in the wrong order.

I've only had time to listen once, but my first impression was very very favorable despite the tremolo picking getting really annoying sometimes

I'm not sure if I agree with Eli and Hez about it being their best recording, but it is phenomenal. n' Crugu Bradului is my personal favorite, but it's more because of the nostalgia I associate with it and the things it makes me think of. It's also very mystical and haunting, a true Odyssey of an album. Om is great too. If you enjoy the new record these two are must-listens.

"Mystical" and "haunting" are two of the most grossly misused terms to talk about metal in the world of album reviews, but I generally trust your opinions on music Einherjar and will have a listen.

I think Negura Bunget reserves the right to those terms more so than most other black metal bands.

But that point aside, you should check them out.

Creampuff you like Negura Bunget? Holy shit!

Manegarm ftw!
where the hell can I get the newest one? didnt it come out last year?

I have been looking for it too. I found it at a couple distro's abroad, but I don't want to pay international shipping on 1 CD.

Here are some more viking/folk/pagan/black whatever bands I have discovered recently that I highly recommend.

Irminsul
Vrankenvorde
Myrkgrav

Irminsul are good.

I recently downloaded a Skyforger cd. Wasn't too bad. But it's like Svartsot. One flute sounding instrument and that's about it. Seems like that's all you need to qualify for a folk band.
That Russian band fronted by a female Arcona? They're not bad at all.

Well, it's not like they're members of the Neo-Nazi party, but yea, the LDPR are pretty much the most right-wing, 'mainstream' party there. I don't know if they're still involved in it. I mean being a member is one thing, but being involved in events is another. The interview I read it in was a Russian metal mag from about four years ago. So, things could have changed, especially since they moved to a bigger label and are selling albums to a more wider audience.