Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

I've been digging Helheim a lot lately. I'm surprised none of the reviews I've read mention the obvious Czech BM influence.
Helheim totally rules, atleast the first two albums. Most seems to prefer Jormundgand but I like Av Norrön Ätt more.

Got Thyrfing's Vansinnesvisor last week and I'm loving it. Kickass viking metal album, great stuff. Aggressive, dark and with nice folk elements which fit their music perfectly.

That's one of my favorite viking/folk metal albums. It's so dark and brooding. I personally enjoy it more than Urkraft.

Urkraft has its ups and downs, in my opinion. There are some awesome songs (like "Mjölner" and "The Breaking of Serenity"), but there are also some dull and just plain bad ones (especially the awful cover of "Over the Hills and Far Away," the Gary Moore song).

Started listening to Skyclad due to hearty recommendations and am enjoying it. Have "A Burnt Offering For The Bone Idol," "Oui Avant-Garde A Chance" and "Folkemon" thus far. Maybe I'll find some people who want to play similar stuff and I'll have a band.

So, the new Negura Bunget (Vîrstele Pămîntului, the one with the new lineup) is actually really good, I think. At least so far; I've listened to about half of it.

Imho the new Negura Bunget album is their best record to date (zomg blasphemy). I always felt the old lineup was sort of torn between recording a proper black metal album and truly embracing the pagan/folk/black hybrid it was sort of destined to play. I assume that was due to the differences in musical preference between Negru and the other guys, who all seemed to have equal say in the creative direction of the band. I guess the new album is mainly Negru's work, and it feels incredibly natural and well balanced to me. I may be doing the rest of the new band an injustice here though - the new guitarist/singer guy seems very talented and passionate whenever I've seen 'em live.

Either way, it's fucking kickass. A lot of people have been calling Arborele Lumii a filler track, but I dig the whole "shouting-from-the-side-of-a-mountain" vocal section they have got going on that one, a lot.

I am sold, as I trust Einherjar and Hez more than most UMF posters re: this kind of metal. Will make effort to listen later today.

I really, really, really like Skyclad.

One of the best metal bands, period, and more or less the original folk metal band. My favorites are Irrational Anthems, Vintage Whine, and Prince of the Poverty Line. Jonah's Ark is also really good, and the best of their early, thrashier stuff.

WeAreInFlamers (typo but I'm gonna leave it on accounta it's funny) recommended them to me. I don't have any of the albums you listed, looks like I have some homework to do.

I am sold, as I trust Einherjar and Hez more than most UMF posters re: this kind of metal. Will make effort to listen later today.

I was thinking of asking if you'd listened to it, actually. I noticed your Gris review while checking them out recently, and the escapism notions you touched on in that piece could equally well apply to Virstele Pamintului - not that the two albums have a lot in common musically.

Imho the new Negura Bunget album is their best record to date (zomg blasphemy). I always felt the old lineup was sort of torn between recording a proper black metal album and truly embracing the pagan/folk/black hybrid it was sort of destined to play. I assume that was due to the differences in musical preference between Negru and the other guys, who all seemed to have equal say in the creative direction of the band. I guess the new album is mainly Negru's work, and it feels incredibly natural and well balanced to me. I may be doing the rest of the new band an injustice here though - the new guitarist/singer guy seems very talented and passionate whenever I've seen 'em live.

Either way, it's fucking kickass. A lot of people have been calling Arborele Lumii a filler track, but I dig the whole "shouting-from-the-side-of-a-mountain" vocal section they have got going on that one, a lot.

I agree with everything in this post.