Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

lol any point you were trying to make which could have been a reasonably good point has been invalidated many times by you, me and other posters. shut the fuck up and tear a muscle at the gym, preferably ten of your finger muscles so you can't type. you're welcome.

You referenced my 'reasonably good point' - thanks for the capitulation!

And to be precise, there are no muscles in the fingers; they exist in the forearm and some in the hand, the tendons of which extend into the fingers.

Dude, I didn't know you hadn't heard Ancient Rites! You'd love their album Dim Carcosa; mad epic and awesome. My bad man, I thought you knew them.

Been listening to Falkenbach and did actually quite enjoy it, the repetition creates a sort of black metal-esque drone effect which is kinda nice. I only had it on in the background while working though.

Check out Gåte for a more folk - less metal band, coincidentally with a lead female singer ahaha. She makes the dialect sound beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been listening to Falkenbach and did actually quite enjoy it, the repetition creates a sort of black metal-esque drone effect which is kinda nice. I only had it on in the background while working though.

Check out Gåte for a more folk - less metal band, coincidentally with a lead female singer ahaha. She makes the dialect sound beautiful.

Interesting. LOL @ the guitarist's blue hair. Are they really popular? Seemed like a very "catering-to-MTV" style video but I can't see there being a huge market for that sort of thing.

The song was good but I dunno if anyone could make that dialect sound beautiful. Where are they from?

Ahaha the rest of the band look like Muse, amusingly. Yeah it's obviously a far cry from the folk metal stuff we're used to but I think the song has some merit, I definitely like her voice. They put out two albums then broke up, I think they were quite popular locally. Listened through both of them today and a lot of it sounded really good to me, I'm a bit of a sucker for female singers though. It definitely sounded more musically interesting than a lot of popular folk metal bands around at the moment (cough eluveitie's last album cough varg).

They sing in a pretty ancient Norwegian dialect I believe. I've heard the closest currently used dialect is Trøndersk. They are from pretty near Trondheim themselves I think.

Anyone else listen to Sorgsvart? I guess it's a guilty pleasure since you can't find anything more cheesy than this. But it's also very varied and the song writing is excellent. I enjoy it quite a bit and can't help smiling when the extremely tongue-in-cheek keyboards kick in once in a while...

Ahaha the rest of the band look like Muse, amusingly. Yeah it's obviously a far cry from the folk metal stuff we're used to but I think the song has some merit, I definitely like her voice. They put out two albums then broke up, I think they were quite popular locally. Listened through both of them today and a lot of it sounded really good to me, I'm a bit of a sucker for female singers though. It definitely sounded more musically interesting than a lot of popular folk metal bands around at the moment (cough eluveitie's last album cough varg).

They sing in a pretty ancient Norwegian dialect I believe. I've heard the closest currently used dialect is Trøndersk. They are from pretty near Trondheim themselves I think.

I'd be interested in checking the albums out. If my pipe dream is ever gonna take off (playing violin in nerdy folk metal bands), I need some inspiration. Female singers work well for a lot of metal genres, especially folk and depressive black metal.

A respectable dream!

Dunno if Aes Dana have been mentioned in this thread so far, but here's one of my favourites:

It's pretty black metal at times I suppose but still folk to the core IMO.

portadaparaforos.jpg

Now, you can listen to the new EP of the viking folk metal band Pimeä Metsä from Madrid, Spain.

Beneath the Northern Lights is the name of this great EP, recorded in the Canallas Records Studio.

http://www.myspace.com/pimeametsa

Very soon, you can download it free from megaupload and rapidshare.

We hope that you enjoy it!!

Got Thyrfing's Vansinnesvisor last week and I'm loving it. Kickass viking metal album, great stuff. Aggressive, dark and with nice folk elements which fit their music perfectly.