Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

How the fuck can you justify that Cythraul? Sagas is worlds better than TF. And I don't find either one 'embarrassing". In fact, the only time I have ever been embarrassed while listening to metal has been listening to Tony Kakko sing about women's underwear LOL. What awful lyrics he writes sometimes.

And Krampus, how am I a lady hater exactly? I simply said I am not abl eto take bands seriously if they have female members (especially attractive ones) because it's all commercial marketing ploy. Do you really want to tell me that commercial exposure wasn't a factor in AE bringing Angela into the band? Give me a break.

You do realize in that statement you sigged (thanks, btw) when I said 'you' I meant 'you all' as in, 'your band', not you individually or personally. :)

Well personally I can't take anything you say seriously because you eat baked beans on toast for breakfast and are a gay Harry Potter clone, minus the square jaw Daniel Radcliffe has. Nice attempt and EPIC FAIL at a save though.

Not all female band members are frontwomen who show cleavage and have their own private photoshoots, and coming from someone with such ridiculously stupid opinions as yourself, I'm sure you'd accuse a modestly dressed female band member as being a gimmicky butch dyke who is trying to generate gossip and exposure to the band.

You are through and through a lady hater and it's really funny watching you try to deny it. You also called me ugly and are trying to pretend you didn't. Just admit that you're a sexist pig with a closed mind. And for the record, even the stupidest Sonata Arctica jam is less embarrassing than blasting "Blut im Auge" in mixed company.

Well personally I can't take anything you say seriously because you eat baked beans on toast for breakfast and are a gay Harry Potter clone, minus the square jaw Daniel Radcliffe has. Nice attempt and EPIC FAIL at a save though.

Not all female band members are frontwomen who show cleavage and have their own private photoshoots, and coming from someone with such ridiculously stupid opinions as yourself, I'm sure you'd accuse a modestly dressed female band member as being a gimmicky butch dyke who is trying to generate gossip and exposure to the band.

You are through and through a lady hater and it's really funny watching you try to deny it. You also called me ugly and are trying to pretend you didn't. Just admit that you're a sexist pig with a closed mind. And for the record, even the stupidest Sonata Arctica jam is less embarrassing than blasting "Blut im Auge" in mixed company.

lol but I don't hate women! I love them. I love having sex with them and partying with them, and occasionally talking to them about important things in the chance encounter of meeting one with a brain. And what do you mean I failed at a save? I was honestly saying I would not be able to take the band seriously, not YOU. It's just me. I don't like gimmicks. And I never denied calling you ugly...I did mean that. Your pictures are atrocious. Hit the gym (I can give you some pointers if you need it, I'm a certified PT with AFAA) and diet, too. 80% of it is all about a proper diet.

np - Immolation Majesty and Decay:headbang:

and you're a 21 year old virgin with an extensive cd collection. cool.

and i didnt say it was ALWAYS a gimmick, moron. go back and read the posts. USUALLY it IS a gimmick to generate interest. it takes all the purity out of the music or band.

lets try a test: if you heard somone say "dude lets check out this band tonight, they're a metal band and they have a MALE vocalist!" what would you think? would that pique your interest?

try the same thing and replace MALE with FEMALE.

It's more likely to cause excitement.

Now, is there anything necessarily wrong with that? No, there isn't. But for me, I don't like the exploitation and I don't give bands the benefit of the doubt the MAJORITY of the time, like AE, Lacuna Coil etc. They know they're cashing in.

The fact is that if you take that Italian woman out of Lacuna Coil NO ONE would pay any attention to that band.

lol but I don't hate women! I love them. I love having sex with them and partying with them, and occasionally talking to them about important things in the chance encounter of meeting one with a brain. And what do you mean I failed at a save? I was honestly saying I would not be able to take the band seriously, not YOU. It's just me. I don't like gimmicks. And I never denied calling you ugly...I did mean that. Your pictures are atrocious. Hit the gym (I can give you some pointers if you need it, I'm a certified PT with AFAA) and diet, too. 80% of it is all about a proper diet.

np - Immolation Majesty and Decay:headbang:

Are you confusing me with someone else?

and you're a 21 year old virgin with an extensive cd collection. cool.

and i didnt say it was ALWAYS a gimmick, moron. go back and read the posts. USUALLY it IS a gimmick to generate interest. it takes all the purity out of the music or band.

lets try a test: if you heard somone say "dude lets check out this band tonight, they're a metal band and they have a MALE vocalist!" what would you think? would that pique your interest?

Now, is there anything necessarily wrong with that? No, there isn't. But for me, I don't like the exploitation and I don't give bands the benefit of the doubt the MAJORITY of the time, like AE, Lacuna Coil etc. They know they're cashing in.

The fact is that if you take that Italian woman out of Lacuna Coil NO ONE would pay any attention to that band.

Idiot.

Also, Krampus is a tiny Korean girl...

Last edited by a moderator:

You mentioned earlier (peep my sig!) that any attractive woman who is in a metal band instantly discredits the band because she is a shiny object and in your words "takes all the purity out of the music or band." So which is it, Mr. I'm A Certified Personal Trainer Go On A Diet Because The Only Women Worth Anything Are The Attractive Ones Which Are Just Gimmicks?

this uneasy conscience guy is incredibly retarded.

on topic.. Manegarm - Vredens Tid probably is my favorite along with "viking era" Bathory.

You mentioned earlier (peep my sig!) that any attractive woman who is in a metal band instantly discredits the band because she is a shiny object and in your words "takes all the purity out of the music or band." So which is it, Mr. I'm A Certified Personal Trainer Go On A Diet Because The Only Women Worth Anything Are The Attractive Ones Which Are Just Gimmicks?

Fronting the band, sweetheart. That's why I used Angela as an example. Let me be clear since you still don't get it - if the female is attractive and the FOCAL POINT of the fucking band then sorry, it's an instant discredit.

i like how no one refuted my point about lacuna coil. it just proves my point 1000000 times.

you guys are actually so PC it's pathetic. i keep forgetting everyone here is like 15 haha.

and sorry about the picture thing - i thought i saw you all fat and ugly i a photo the other day. if you're 'tiny' cool, keep fit and healthy. it's important.

Fronting the band, sweetheart. That's why I used Angela as an example. Let me be clear since you still don't get it - if the female is attractive and the FOCAL POINT of the fucking band then sorry, it's an instant discredit.

i like how no one refuted my point about lacuna coil. it just proves my point 1000000 times.

you guys are actually so PC it's pathetic. i keep forgetting everyone here is like 15 haha.

and sorry about the picture thing - i thought i saw you all fat and ugly i a photo the other day. if you're 'tiny' cool, keep fit and healthy. it's important.

You're being pretty hypocritical here. First off you are STILL generalising and making rash decisions about female fronted bands - what if the singer is attractive, a focal point (it's perfectly reasonable to base a band around a female voice, as a female voice obviously has different sonic properties to a male voice and can thus create different music), and still retains musical integrity and talent? Would you still refuse to listen to the band, presumably to distance yourself from the legions of admittedly short-sighted fans that invariably end up worshipping the band just for the singer? It sounds to me like you've got more of a chip on your shoulder about aforementioned fanbois and setting yourself apart from them - after all it's usually the fans that force a band to revere the frontwoman as the focal point, rather than some preplanned conspiracy to sell out or something.

Secondly, way to complain about hot girls fronting bands, complain about another girl being ugly, and come across as a total misogynist all in about 3 posts. It's like the bible in forum-member form.

Not sure if bitching was a good idea for a first post but whatever. Also krampus you were on the bloodstock forum for a bit weren't you? IT'S A SMALL WORLD :loco:

You're being pretty hypocritical here. First off you are STILL generalising and making rash decisions about female fronted bands - what if the singer is attractive, a focal point (it's perfectly reasonable to base a band around a female voice, as a female voice obviously has different sonic properties to a male voice and can thus create different music), and still retains musical integrity and talent? Would you still refuse to listen to the band, presumably to distance yourself from the legions of admittedly short-sighted fans that invariably end up worshipping the band just for the singer?

It is reasonable to front a band with a woman. Of course. But a metal band? "Reason" is the wrong word, BUT...you can't tell me that it's 'natural' or common to do this. As someone else on this forum recently said, heavy metal is a 'testosterone filled' genre of music. If it is natural for females to front metal bands, then historically we would have A LOT of female fronted metal bands. We simply do not. It parallels the question of why female athletes have their own leagues and don't participate with men. Of course I am not suggesting there should be an an all female genre of heavy metal; that would be ludicrous. But the point is simply to acknowledge that there are differences between males and females. It isn't rocket science but I'm not going to write an exposition on these differences. Go read a biology, sociology and psychology college text book to find out what they are.

Now, given your parameters, of course I agree it's possible to have talent in a band that is fronted by an attractive female. No question. It's the integrity part that I have trouble with, especially when many bands know they can cash in if they bring a pretty woman on board. The media goes nuts, the fans go nuts etc. Bands and managers and agents and record labels aren't stupid. They realize this. My point is that (aside from everyone here needing to take an economics class, preferably college level) bands know damn well that sex appeal is exploitative. I simply don't see why this is so hard to understand. Again, please refute my point about Lacuna Coil. That band would be nowhere if they a male vocalist instead of a beautiful Italian woman who wears tight clothing and poses on the cover of magazines. Or better yet, think of it this way: if she left the band, what are the chances of LC bringing in a fat, hideously ugly replacement even IF she could sing well? Now ask yourself why the chances are slim, and you have your answer.

Secondly, way to complain about hot girls fronting bands, complain about another girl being ugly, and come across as a total misogynist all in about 3 posts. It's like the bible in forum-member form.

haha that actually made me chuckle (the bible part). To be honest, I don't care about what I say on here. This forum serves a certain function in my life, which is solely, as it should be, to speak about heavy metal and the occasional random topic. I don't come here to make friends or talk about my day, so why would I care what people think outside of their musical opinions? I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to care if I told them I thought they were an asshole. Who am I to them?

Not sure if bitching was a good idea for a first post but whatever.

No it's fine. Welcome.

NP- Fjoergyn, Fjoergyn

You're being pretty hypocritical here. First off you are STILL generalising and making rash decisions about female fronted bands - what if the singer is attractive, a focal point (it's perfectly reasonable to base a band around a female voice, as a female voice obviously has different sonic properties to a male voice and can thus create different music), and still retains musical integrity and talent? Would you still refuse to listen to the band, presumably to distance yourself from the legions of admittedly short-sighted fans that invariably end up worshipping the band just for the singer? It sounds to me like you've got more of a chip on your shoulder about aforementioned fanbois and setting yourself apart from them - after all it's usually the fans that force a band to revere the frontwoman as the focal point, rather than some preplanned conspiracy to sell out or something.

Not sure if bitching was a good idea for a first post but whatever. Also krampus you were on the bloodstock forum for a bit weren't you? IT'S A SMALL WORLD :loco:

Yeah I recognized your Tenhi sig! My dad guilted me into coming home this summer so it seems I won't be going to Bloodstock. Ah well, another year.

@VelociBrad I have not heard Manegarm, what is a good album for a starter? I've got average tolerance for cheese and despite my feminist ranting on here I hate operatic female fronted metal bands.

It is reasonable to front a band with a woman. Of course. But a metal band? "Reason" is the wrong word, BUT...you can't tell me that it's 'natural' or common to do this. As someone else on this forum recently said, heavy metal is a 'testosterone filled' genre of music. If it is natural for females to front metal bands, then historically we would have A LOT of female fronted metal bands. We simply do not. It parallels the question of why female athletes have their own leagues and don't participate with men. Of course I am not suggesting there should be an an all female genre of heavy metal; that would be ludicrous. But the point is simply to acknowledge that there are differences between males and females. It isn't rocket science but I'm not going to write an exposition on these differences. Go read a biology, sociology and psychology college text book to find out what they are.

Now, given your parameters, of course I agree it's possible to have talent in a band that is fronted by an attractive female. No question. It's the integrity part that I have trouble with, especially when many bands know they can cash in if they bring a pretty woman on board. The media goes nuts, the fans go nuts etc. Bands and managers and agents and record labels aren't stupid. They realize this. My point is that (aside from everyone here needing to take an economics class, preferably college level) bands know damn well that sex appeal is exploitative. I simply don't see why this is so hard to understand. Again, please refute my point about Lacuna Coil. That band would be nowhere if they a male vocalist instead of a beautiful Italian woman who wears tight clothing and poses on the cover of magazines. Or better yet, think of it this way: if she left the band, what are the chances of LC bringing in a fat, hideously ugly replacement even IF she could sing well? Now ask yourself why the chances are slim, and you have your answer.

Sigh. Music is not sports or the military and when it comes to singing and playing instruments, the biological differences between males and females (excepting voice) don't matter. It isn't rocket science (I overuse this phrase too, trying to curb it) to see that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina, but that still really has little to nothing to do with music. Yes, everyone knows that metal is a male-dominated genre, but it's people like you who keep it that way, since you apparently find it "ludicrous" for there to be all-female metal bands and complain about both attractive and ugly women being anywhere near metal.

As for integrity, who cares if there is talent present? Very few successful bands are entirely devoid of clever marketing ploys, and who can really blame them - in a competitive music market, you need something as your selling point.

Also, way to assume none of us continued school after hitting the double-digit age range.

Vredens Tid or Vargstenen would be the best starting places. It's hardly "cheese" though. It's more blackened folk stuff than actual folk.