Your latest G.A.S. purchases

... what? That's a HEAT spell for you? It's the second day of Autumn here and I'm dreaming of days when it cools down to 74. This evening, it will cool down to about 85 degrees at 75% humidity and it will rain.

Heat spell for February, at least (your August/September, I suppose?). It's usually around 60º this time of year, peaks in the high 90's during the summer, but humidity is way low.

Snagged this off Craigslist today for $1400! :headbang:

IMG_1319.jpg

1400 for the head AND the Cab?!! holy shit dude!

Got some money from my family for my 21st birthday, I need a good vocal mic so I'm going to be gettin an SM7B soon!

and its fuckin 15 degrees here! :mad:

Share your impressions on the difference in sound once you set them up. There's a lot of debate on coupling vs. decoupling speakers. I've reached the conclusion that there's so much science behind the effects of stands, pads, resonance, etc, that it's best to try and see(hear) which works which doesn't.

Those pads just try to approximate the effects of good speaker stands. Since I'm already using good stands, loaded with sand, the difference when using decoupling pads and the like should be quite minimal.

On that note, when I took my old speakers off the desk and shoved them onto speaker stands, the difference was massive. Cleared up low-mids, better imaging and tighter bass instantly. It was not subtle.

@Jeff: Talk to me when you have a week straight of temperatures in the 114F range... Fuck I hate this place so much. It's fucking hell on earth, complete with scum that comes with their brains pre-fried, for your interacting enjoyment.

DSS3, you post at the ESP forum as well, don't you?

Yessir! Not as often as I should... I've only been an ESP convert for about a year now. I go by JeffTD over there.

@Jeff: Talk to me when you have a week straight of temperatures in the 114F range... Fuck I hate this place so much. It's fucking hell on earth, complete with scum that comes with their brains pre-fried, for your interacting enjoyment.

Seriously dude? I've always wanted to visit NZ because I've heard the weather is always nice there. Hard to imagine it being so much shittier just a hop across the pond?

Man, you wouldn't believe how ridiculously hot it can get here in the summer. I don't know how NZ fares, but I would avoid Australia unless it's the heart of winter down here. You're still likely to find it to be room temperature outside on winter days.

Congrats about the purchase! You really are still gear whoring it up as much, if not more than when I was calling you out on it a few years ago :lol:. Hope to hear some great clips soon.

Re: Skin color: Born that way! Can't help it, but my mother's side has some weird white skin and I just don't tan! Actually, a lot of us here try to keep out of the sun here because it's so darned deadly. Even 15 minutes exposure can give you some nasty sun burn on certain days.

Melbourne (and adelaide) gets lovely winds straight off the desert. Us east coasters generally get protected by the great dividing range from those to some degree. Still gets hot as fuck, but theres usually a southerly change right round the corner (fresh antarctic winds). Oh, and not all aussies are shit scum! No more then anywhere else in the world anyways.

and +1billion on the sun being dangerous. I got a little burnt just cruisin' in my car on sat :lol:

Those pads just try to approximate the effects of good speaker stands. Since I'm already using good stands, loaded with sand, the difference when using decoupling pads and the like should be quite minimal.

I can't verify it, but I've read that using decoupling pads negates the positive effects of a good solid stand. Probably the speakers tend to move around more and even though thanks to the pads this does not produce unwanted resonances , their low end and stereo image suffer. That's why I was interested in your impressions but I'll also be conducting some experiments soon to see what works for my setup.

We had a discussion over on Gearslutz about this, because the coupling/decoupling terminology and when to apply it tends to get really confused in most discussions.

After some research and Ethan Winer chipping in, we basically deduced it to this:

If you have a good, solid speaker enclosure (high mass, low resonance), then what you want to do is decouple that enclosure from the environment, to not transmit frequencies through solid surfaces. MoPads sort of do the job here, though purpose built stands tend to be more effective, especially if there are multiple points of decoupling.

If your speaker enclosure is low mass and vibrates fairly easily, well then you're after something with high mass to couple to your speaker. This would include 1) a good, solid, heavy speaker stand and 2) Something like the Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers. You basically just want something heavy to couple its mass to your speakers. Some people use sandbags, others cinderblocks etc. MoPads are no help here.

The ASP8s are the heaviest and largest monitors I've ever had. That inspires confidence as to their enclosures' self-damping properties. As a result they sit on little rubber feet on the base plate of the stands, and the stands themselves are filled with sand (to not vibrate sympathetically with the speakers), and stood on carpet spikes (to stabilize them, and prevent rocking, or back and forth motions which could lead to frequency cancellations).

I can't verify it, but I've read that using decoupling pads negates the positive effects of a good solid stand. Probably the speakers tend to move around more and even though thanks to the pads this does not produce unwanted resonances , their low end and stereo image suffer. That's why I was interested in your impressions but I'll also be conducting some experiments soon to see what works for my setup.

Yeah, that's what Primacoustic claims in their literature, that the squishy foam nature of MoPads causes monitors on them to rock back and forth ever so slightly from the "recoil" of a lot of bass - hence their "Recoil Stabilizers"

Ok, I'll look into them. I have no fucking idea about room acoustics, and it's not really viable in my room, so maybe using them would help me get the best out of my monitors.

Using MoPads knock-offs had about 5% of the effect that using purpose-built speaker stands did in my room. The MoPads really don't do all that much. They may decouple the speakers from the desk SLIGHTLY, but you still have the issues of light cabinets vibrating and rocking around, especially given how flimsy the foam that MoPads are made of is.

I've heard a lot of good thing about the Recoil Stabilizers, but they seem overpriced for what they are, and I would take a good sand/lead shot filled stand over them any day.

Yeah, I admit recoil stabilizers are pretty absurdly priced, but I just didn't have the room for good stands with my desk at school (though I'm thinking of going to a smaller desk so I can use stands, cuz my top shelf on my desk isn't wide enough for a good stereo image), so they were the best option for me!